24. It Always Rains on Camping Trips

~ Wynne is offered shelter from the rain – in a very pleasant place, and realizes her feelings are still the same. ~

24. It Always Rains on Camping Trips

Wynne drifted off to sleep eventually, only to wake up in the small hours by heavy drops striking her face and thunder rolling in the distance. Oh, was this not just typical? On the one night she had no tent it would begin to rain.

She hurried back to the camp in an increasing downpour, pulling out a blanket from one of the packs. Pulling it over her, she sat down to huddle miserably by Thranduil who had the present watch.

He had covered himself with a navy blue cloak that matched his eyes beautifully. "I see you decided to be charitable," he remarked dryly.

"Some people actually bother about the well-being of other people."

"Wasted on the likes of them. An orc does not deserve the comfort of a tent."

"Half-orc. And Sidra is human."

He didn't reply so they sat in silence for a while. The blanket soon became heavy over Wynne's shoulders, soaked through, and not helping much to shield her from the torrents. It was getting lighter despite the cloudy sky, dawn was approaching, but she felt tired and bleary eyed.

Legolas soundlessly joined them, also wearing a cloak, his a nice hunter's green. "Why did you not wake me, Ada? My watch is long overdue."

Thranduil hesitated before answering. "I did not mind staying up."

"Very well. I am here now." Legolas sat down between them, drawing up his hood. He peered at his father curiously. "You are not leaving?"

"The thunder will only keep me awake. I might as well accompany you."

Wynne gave him a suspicious look. That had sounded rather lame, like an excuse. Then it dawned on her: he didn't want his son to be alone with her, that was why. He thought they needed a chaperone.

She set her jaw. They had complied with Thranduil's wishes all this time, and both of them well knew why they could only ever be friends. There was absolutely no cause for this irrational mistrust.

"You think we need watching over," she said, unable to hide her anger.

His eyebrows rose in surprise at her outburst, but he remained silent.

"That was uncalled for." Legolas too looked displeased. He turned to Wynne. "Seeing as our tent apparently shall remain empty, you might as well get out of this bleak weather and get some more rest. My bed is the one on the left."

Wynne nodded gratefully. Leaving the drenched blanket outside she crept in under the robust canvas canopy. It felt like she did something forbidden when she pulled the wet chemise over her head and snuggled down under Legolas' blanket in only her underpants.