VI

The frozen feeling was fading

The frozen feeling was fading. But in its place, the ache I had grown accustomed to over the years flared up like in an angry fire within. It was like numbing solution on an injury wearing off. The desensitized feeling slowly melting away, taking away the comfort it provided leaving you with pain and no way to combat it. Without that frozen barrier, I felt defenseless, exposed. What had kept me together for the last 24 hours was that icy feeling I had clung onto. Because feeling nothing is easier than feeling everything.

Pictures littered the floor, memories of better times. I was meant to be putting them away but I had gotten distracted. Sucked into the world of my past. She was beautiful. 6 years older than me, with red hair that was as fiery as her soul. Brown eyes, that always sparkled with a degree of mischief and kindness. In every picture Marley was smiling. And in every picture it was genuine.

It was still hard to swallow that she was gone. I always thought a soul like Marley would live far longer than anyone could anticipate. But she always did like to be unpredictable. If only she knew what a shock she caused. I couldn't help but think she would love the uproar the town was in during the months following her death.

"Who is she?" I jumped at the sudden voice, not having known anyone was in the room with me. Logan stood in the doorway with a candy bar in his hand, watching me curiously. I was quick to gather up the photos and put them into an unorganized bundle. 

"No one." I muttered. Marley was the past. And the past deserves to stay there. Especially when the past hurts like this.

"Um, okay..." He seemed to want to press but the sharp look I sent him, made Logan reconsider. "So, Ty wants to talk to you about school and stuff." He said taking a bite of the Twix bar in his hand. I had no idea how he could eat candy this early in the day, or this soon after eating breakfast but maybe that was just me. "C'mon, he's in the living room I'll show you where." I nodded and stood up from my place on the floor, brushing the dust off my jeans.

As we walked, I caught a better view of his tattoo I had seen earlier that he had tried to cover up. The words were still hard to read as they were small and in cursive writing, but now I could clearly see the moon and sun were intertwined, almost opposite with one another. "Your tattoo, I like it."

Logan's eyes widened for a second, before he nodded slowly as if I had seen something I wasn't supposed to. "What does it say?" I asked curiously. 

He looked up at me, contemplation clear on his face. "Nothing important." It was an answer meant to placate me, but it only spiked my curiosity. What could be so secret that he couldn't tell me about the tattoo? Why would he keep such a trivial thing hidden?

Walking into the living room, Tyler was sitting on the couch, waiting for me I assume. Logan gave me a little smile, taking another bite of his Twix bar. "See ya later Iz." he said squeezing my shoulder. Tyler patted the seat beside him, which I hesitantly took.