IX

This is a world for the tough

This is a world for the tough. There is no room for anyone who couldn't handle the jarring truths it has to offer. The faint hearted did not fare well amongst the cold souls that walk this planet. I made that mistake once. I allowed myself to break. I ignored the truths, instead convincing myself of a paradox that didn't exist. And when that false reality came crashing down smashing into shards of what I once held, my heart shattered right along with it. After that, I toughened up. Put on a permanent suit of armor that no one could penetrate. That way no one could break my heart. Not again. I would never allow myself to break like that again.

It was colder in Maryland. The September air held minimal resemblance to the summer like weather in Georgia. The sun was setting, creating a blanket of pink and orange light that peeked through the trees. Grass tickled my neck and ears as I laid on the ground in the backyard. We had gotten back from the clinic a few hours ago, and after dinner I had decided to get some fresh air, as a way of keeping me close to home.

One of my most prominent memories of my childhood was my 8th birthday. My mom had forgotten about it entirely. It was the first year that happened. If only it was the last. Marley had come over just as she did everyday and was upset to see me so dreary and miserable. She was 14 at the time, yet still a motherly figure in my life. Upon seeing my state, Marley decided I needed a distraction as well as a celebration. But, neither of us had any money nor a form of transportation which made for limited options, but Marley was stubborn and determined to give me the best birthday she could.

So she had the idea to go to the beach and watch the sunset. I remembered leaning against my best friend, watching the colors in the sky bleed together, until the sun was replaced with tiny flickering stars. It was a nice end to a sad day, and I owed it all to Marley just as I did so many other memories.

I wish I wasn't watching the sunset alone. I wish Marley was here. I wish I didn't have to miss her. But that was all those were. Wishes.

I sat up in the grass, brushing blades off my shirt and pulling a twig out of my hair.

It seemed I couldn't do anything without Marley on my mind. I tried to find it in myself to be mad at the world for being so cruel to take her away but I couldn't. In this life we are given two options. Hate the world for all of its flaws. Or accept how it is and move on. I chose the latter. I chose to not allow the evils of the world to dictate my life. While I am aware of how dark it can be, I have chosen to use my knowledge of the world to my advantage. Use it to survive. To live even.

The lump in my throat was dense and thick, hard to swallow. It was from sadness, but more so exhaustion. I was so tired. I shouldn't be this kind of tired at my age. It was yet another misfortune I was burdened with in this flawed world.

Walking into the kitchen it was empty. I was aware that only two of my siblings were home tonight so I wasn't surprised that the lower level of the house was void of any life. Tyler and Logan were the only two here, since everyone else was out with friends or at work.