An Unrequited Love

Start from the beginning

"I'm afraid I am." He had a british accent that was very rich and kind of hot. He was also very young, and I wondered how old the man was. "You must be Elizabeth Winston." I nodded and sat back down. "Oh, please, finish your donut. Better you do before I'm tempted to." He chuckled again and I allowed a small smile to creep up on my face.

I reached for a donut at the same time he did. When I touched his large hand I could have sworn I felt chills go through my arm and travel throughout the rest of my body.

I looked up at the man and got caught in his gorgeous brown and gold eyes.

I mentally slapped myself awake from daydreaming about some fat, rich man.

"I'm here because you wanted to discuss something?" He ate a donut and nodded as he opened his messy binder.

"I would like to invite you to accompany me at a banquet this weekend. You are the face of this company and I want to show you off." I blushed and he caught it. "I'm sorry. I'm not into these kinds of things and if my show person was a man I would be asking the same thing of him. Please, don't feel like I'm objectifying you in any sort of way." I shook my head and swallowed a bite before speaking.

"No worries, Mr. Robinson. I'm a model. I'm used to such requests." He smiled. He looked at the box and perked up a bushy eyebrow.

"It seems they keep you on strict diets." I shyly smiled.

"We're supposed to look beautiful." He nodded and looked back at his snacks. He then sighed and leaned back into his seat.

"Will you take them away from me?"

"Pardon?"

"I can't be eating all the time. I mean, look at me." He shook his head and I shyly smiled. "Any dieting tips?"

"Get those donuts out of your sight. An apple for breakfast, and coffee." He nodded.

"Noted." I was excused and left with the box. I gave the box to the first person I saw and left the office, licking the sweetness from my lips and fingers and smiling for real because I just met such a nice man. A man I couldn't get out of my mind.

Over the next few months I found myself drawn to Mr. Robinson. He was so mysterious. I was surprised he wasn't losing the heavy weight he bore being as much of a busy body as he was. Who can blame him for over eating? He was young and starting a company.

He would show up to the photo shoots of me to make sure everything was being advertised to his liking. I began to admire him. He was so focused on his goal. I noticed he was shy and sometimes he would stutter when he spoke fast.

Then one day, it happened. The day that would change my life there on out. Mr. Robinson was hiring a secretary. Everyone in the office knew that he was struggling. He put on more weight. The bags under his eyes thicker and darker. His desk messier and messier. It was the day of one of my photo shoots and Mr. Robinson was having a real fit over a product that he wasn't satisfied with. He glared at me but I realized he was thinking. He bore into my very soul and I felt my heart beat rise. The look he gave me was so handsome. His eyes looked older than they should have looked. His hair was messier today and his ears poked out like satellites that caught every sound around him. I prayed he couldn't hear my heart beat.

"Liza," he called me by my nickname, a nickname no one had ever given me. It was always Lizzy. But I felt heat rise to my neck and cheeks whenever he used it.

"Yes, sir?"

"Come here." I began to think I was in deep trouble and that he was going to fire me. I came up to him and he gestured for me to look at the photos with the products already cropped in. Mr. Robinson leaned close to me and his hot breath tickled my neck. The hairs on my arms rose and I wondered when the last time I was this close to a man was.