chapter eleven

I secured the dress and looked at myself in the mirror. I look weird. Eh. I put on my mothers bracelet and smiled. Now I'm ready. I walked off and went on my phone for a bit before I heard a knock at my door. Alejandros head popped in.

Alejandro: a handful of guests are already here, come on.

I stood up and walked down the multiple stairs. Once we made it down I saw Mattia waiting anxiously. I took a deep breathe in and walked down the last flight of stairs. Mattia turned his head towards me.

mattia
I turned my head to the sound of clicking heels against the stairs. Oh wow, I didn't know it did that. She looked...beautiful if I'm being honest. I've always thought she looked good, but this was different. Seeing her here, a part of my lifestyle, it's different. I didn't know how to feel. I didn't even know if I was still eager to pull that trigger.

That's weird, thinking that. All my life, I was taught to take the fear of death from people, and use it as fuel for power. The feeling of power, will turn into actual power, my father used to say. This time though, it's different. She has no fear for death, I mean how could she? She had nothing to lose.

She had no people, no parents, no money, no life, nothing. Now she's finally 18, and she's got everything. Money of her own, a phone, a dog, friends, and an actual home, because we adopted her; and now that I know she's got something to lose...I don't even really wanna do it. It's different with her. I felt a little bad she had nothing, and the smile on her face when she got everything she's ever wanted, I knew it was kill me to rip that away so suddenly.

She beamed at me as she approached the end of the stairs. I held my arm out, and felt my heat flip as she interlocked our arms. Wait, why did it do that? She's annoying, and clingy, and super weird.....but it's kinda cute. No! No no no. I erased those thoughts as we cruised around the foyer area.

mattia: this is what the ballroom was for...

I said as we approached the now open doors. The room transitioned from a big empty space, to an area for socializing mafia leaders from all across the globe. We, were in the Italian mafia, of course. Though there's mafia leaders from ethnicities all around. Only a leader, and a plus one, can attend this ball, to ensure as much space as possible. Though it's still a decent sized crowd of powerful people.

Calli
Dude I'm scared. These people look so uptight and intimidating what the hell.

Calli: do you need me to head to the kitchen and stir up some pot brownies because they look like they could really use some-

I started to say as we walked around the area. He looked at me in horror, as he cut me off.

mattia: I will send you back to your room.

Calli: okay!

I said as I kept my mouth shut. We were being approached by two couples.

mattia: okay now-

Calli: dude I know, keep my mouth shut unless I'm spoken to, or you give me consent.

mattia: good.

They approached us slowly.

mattia
This was gonna be fun...

Damian: mr. polibio, nice to see you again.

mattia: likewise, hows the kid?

Damian: great, thanks for asking.

I smiled. Two years back we might've threatened to kidnap his kid because we got scammed on a trade. Let's just say he paid us back within the next hour. It's definitely interesting to be youngest in the room, yet the most powerful.