Hurt Sweet Pea

"God he's such a jerk today," you sighed. "I honestly don't know why he is acting this way."
    "I don't know," Toni shrug. "Something is up his ass. You should've seen him in math. God, when did he start hanging out with Reggie anyways? Thought they were enemies?"
   "That's what I'm trying to figure out," Jughead sighed. "He shoved some kid earlier for being at the pencil sharpener. I honestly don't even think that he had a pencil."
    "Oh?"
    "Yeah well we have to get through science still," you sigh. "And the rest of the god damn day." You push around the fake spaghetti on the tray. "God I literally hate that guy."
   "We know," Toni sighed. "Honestly it's all you talk about. It's all either of you talk about."
    "Well maybe he should take the hint and change," you shrug. "He came in acting like he owned the place, somehow nuzzled his way into the Bulldogs play pen and fucking knocked us all down. Mr Jenkins used to like me."
    "Babe," Cheryl smiles at Toni as she sits. "Are we talking about the undying resentment of Y/N and Sweet Pea?"
    They all laugh, "laugh all you want. But, he doesn't go after you all like he does with me."
    "Right," Veronica smiles. "Goes after you... You know that he's trying out for the lead in the play right? Which would make him your leading man."
    "Kevin wouldn't do that."
   "Kevin doesn't care, as long as the person is right for the part," Fangs said. "He likes his show to be great."
    "Oh my god..."
   "The show is Grease," Jughead said mouth full of food. "He would be the perfect Danny."
    "And you've already been casted as Sandra Dee," Toni said. "So guess who will be working with the jack ass."
   "I'm gonna get to class," you roll your eyes. "Don't want to run into any egos."
    "Good luck," they say. You give them a false smile before getting your things together. Of course when you get to the room, Sweet Pea is there.
   "Of course you are here," you sigh throwing your things on the floor next to your seat. "Where are the rest of you?"
    "Please, I'm all you need," he winks. "Why are you here so early?"
    "Was looking to get away from the idiots," you say. "Obviously, I was wrong."
    "Right well."
    "Well."
    "Well."
    "Well."
    "Right."
   An awkward silence fell between the two of you. You rapped your fingers against the desk waiting for the bell to ring. It couldn't come fast enough. Sweet Pea didn't seem to even be in the same room as he stared off at something. God he drove you crazy. "You know what?" You look at him with a brow raised. "You want to know what your problem is? It's that you don't give people a chance. You run them into the ground before they even say a word to you. And when they don't share the same interests, you act like you're better then them. Well you aren't better then anyone."
    "Me? That's you!" You argue. "You are the one always putting people down! I try to help them! You push people into trash cans because they stand at the pencil sharpener. So pardon me if I hurt your feelings!"
    "Oh, you are pardoned," he snipped and you laugh. "At least people like me."
    "At least I don't have to scare people to like me,"
You are running out of insults. "So."
    "That's cheap."
    "Oh. Did that hurt your feelings?" You bite.
    "Alright!" The science teacher claps. "Enough of that." He points between you two. "Seriously, it's getting old. Now, class I would like to remind you of our class field trip to the outdoors. I've already collected your parents signatures and fees. So we will be going to the Greendale woods for the retreat. Remember to pack your bags accordingly. Weather will be cold over night and warm during the day. We will not be packing luxury items. And your buddy is assigned right now. I have tent assignments as well..." He began listing the buddies alphabetically. Finally reaching yours. "Y/N and Jordan." You frown unaware of a Jordan.
    "Who?" You ask.
    "Me," Sweet Pea rolled his eyes and you gawk.
    "Mr Jenkins," you say. "Please."
    "The list is random," he snapped. "Your tent assignments are six to a tent. So your buddy will be bunking with you. I trust you all can behave." He eyes you. "If not then that is an automatic fail for half of the school year. Remember you are seniors." He flips through the pages of his criteria. "The busses leave this afternoon at five. So plan to be here by four. No later. If you do not have a valid reason to be missing the trip, then you will fail as well. No argument. Now, see you later this evening."
    "My life is over," you sigh. "He's going to kill me on this four day trip. I know it. Or I will kill him. Maybe if I fall down the mountain side, it would be less painful."
    "Calm down," Jughead laughs. "He needs this grade just like you do. You will be fine."
    "Well, your buddy doesn't seem that bad," you sneer. "Archie. How did you get so lucky?"
    "Well Mr Jenkins still likes me," your cousin smiles and you take a step towards him. "Look, everything will be fine. Just remember that you don't want to fail science." You groan banging your head into the lockers. "I wouldn't do that too much, might cause some damage." You turn to him with a death glare and raise a hand. "Right no jokes. Bye."
    "Practicing your witchcraft for the woods? Best time for a ritual," Sweet Pea chuckled. "Guess it all makes sense now."
    "I swear to whatever gods are out there that if you ruin this trip for me," you threaten. "Then I will fucking rip your damn throat out with my teeth and feed it to the bears out there. Maybe then I could get some quiet."
     "Kinky," Reggie laughs. "Didn't know you had that side." You give him a look. "Calm down, bitch... Oh sorry did I say bitch I meant witch. Wait, no I didn't. Let's go Sweet Pea. We don't have to deal with this."
    "Oh but you do," you say. "We are tent mates." You smile. "Sweet Pea, Archie, Jughead, Sierra, you and me."
    "Seriously?"
    "Totally. So get used to this," you say sweetly. "Because it's not gonna fail this class." You take that time to walk out. You were going to get these four days behind you and the only way to do that is to go. Your bags were already packed so you just needed to pack toiletries. You kept repeating that everything will be fine. If you said it enough, it had to happen. Right? You say with Sweet Pea on the bus neither of you saying a word to each other the entire ride.
    "Alright!" Mr Jenkins said. "Here is a tent for all of the groups. Your first task is to build the tent and make it comfortable for the six of you. You will choose who does what job and I will be watching to make sure that no one is left doing it all. Now begin."
    "Maybe the girls should be left to making it homey while us guys build it," Reggie says.
   "Please," you laugh. "Have you ever pitched a tent before? Actually, have you even stepped foot this far away from civilization? I'm going to help build the damn tent."
    "Fine," Jughead said. "Sweet Pea grab the mallet and start putting in the stakes. Archie lay out the tent. Y/N put together the poles. I'm going to find some rocks to cover the stakes. Weather out here is unpredictable, never know when a storm might come in. It's like it's magical." You did as told piecing together the poles and then helped Archie string them through the tent. Jughead came back with rocks to put over the implanted stakes and Sweet Pea helped. "Alright let's put together sleeping arrangements. Y/N you get closest to the door. I'll be next to you. Archie on my other side. Sweet Pea you get the back wall. Reggie next to him and Sierra you gets opposite to Y/N. We need to keep you two separated." He eyes me then Sweet Pea. "And the girls together makes more sense."
    "Is that why you're next to Y/N?" Reggie chuckles.
    "Wait," Sierra says. "Why are there even amounts of boys and girls all of the tents but ours?" She looks at the other groups. "Three girls. Three boys. And then the one with just all boys? Isn't there something wrong with this?"
    "One, none of us would touch each other," you say looking at them all. "Two, Jughead and I are cousins. So nothing is happening there."
   "Oh... I didn't know that," she says. "Well, I wouldn't say none." She eyes Sweet Pea and he smiles back. You roll your eyes.
    "Get your bags in there," You say pushing to the front. You set up your area nearly. Placing your bags behind your pillow and then putting your rolled sleeping bag in front of that. "I'm going to look around." You step out into the sunlight and bask in the quietness. Sierra follows you as if instinctively. "What's up?"
    "Well, I wanted to ask you something... Is there something going on with you and Sweet Pea?" She asks in a whisper tone.
    "What? God no," you say.
    "Okay. I just wasn't sure because it seems like there is a lot of tension there," she explains. "But if not, I will be sure to put in that I would love to do something. Enjoy your walk." You nod with a fake smile.
    "Y/N! Perfect," Mr Jenkins smiles. "I need you to go out and gather firewood. As you are the only one finished, I have no one else to ask." You look around before nodding. "Perfect. Here is this to mark your way through and this to collect wood. I will send Sweet Pea out as soon as he is finished. Also hurry. Looks like rain is coming and we need to get the wood somewhere dry."
    "No need to send him. I will be back soon. Not going far." You sigh walking into the woods picking up sticks and what not on your way through. You threw them in your bag as you kept going. "God why am I doing this? There is no way I can carry all of this wood." You groan throwing another stick into the bag. The sky seemed to grow dark quick which made you roll your eyes. This was going to be the worst trip.
   Sweet Pea finished his things and took a step outside the tent and was stopped by Mr Jenkins. "Alright Sweet Pea! Perfect. Y/N is out collecting firewood but it's going to rain any second can you find her and bring her back to the site. She should be marking trees. If you get lost call on the talkie." He gives the teacher a look. "Go! She can't be out there by herself and not know what might come. The rain picks up quick here. She's been out there long enough. She hasn't checked in. Hurry." He only nods before going into the trees.
    "Y/N do this. Y/N do that. God why do I do everything someone asks," you sigh. "That is why I get into jobs like this. Now it's going to rain and I have no idea where I am. I should've kept using that damn marker." You pull your hoodie over your head. "No one is going to find me and I'm going to be eaten by bears and coyotes. Or some monster." You pushed through a bush.
    "Y/N!" You stop listening again. Nothing.
    "Great, now you're going crazy," you sigh pushing through more branches. You hear your name again. "Hello?"
    "Y/N? Is that you?" Sweet Pea called. "Where are you? I've been looking for you for twenty minutes. It's fucking raining."
    "Really?" You ask sarcastically. "Couldn't notice by the soaking wet clothes! Did you really ask where I was? I'm by a tree. There is nothing here remotely off to give you any direction."
    "No shit. I was trying to track your voice," he called. "Am I getting hot?"
    "I don't know are you?" You ask confused.
    "Like am I getting closer, dipshit?" He said.
    "Oh... I think," you say. "I can't tell. I'm gonna walk forwards. Or hey! I can move this tree. Look for the moving tree." You shake a limp tree.
    "Oh! Keep doing that," he calls and you do. Something falls near you. Probably a branch you go to pick it up but it moves. You let out a blood curling scream before jumping away from the scary death creature. "Y/N? Y/N?" You hear his rushing foot steps. You now see there is more than one snake so you are running towards him. You catch a glimpse of him and forget to pay attention to the ground ahead. A rock seemingly came out of no where making you fall. "What happened?"
    You hold your leg and let out a barely audible, "snake."
    "What? Why are you on the ground? You hit your head," he finally reaches you and crouches running his hand over your forehead.
    "Snakes," you repeat yourself. "Big. Scales. Snakes. I don't know how many. So big."
    "That's what she said," he joked and you glare at him. "So, you see snakes and you lay on the ground?"
    "No! I was running from them," you groan moving your leg.
    "Okay," he nods. "Well, you don't run from snakes for one. They are near sighted so movement attracts them and then they attack. Well most are short sighted. Not all. But still. You stand still and they don't see you. So you're lucky they didn't come after you. Probably some garden snake." You look at him. "So you fell?" You nod. "Right can you move your leg?" You show him but it hurts. "Okay. Let me look. You could have dislocated your knee. Let's hope not though. The closest hospital is still half an hour out. You probably just sprained your ankle, which is easy to work with." You sigh removing your hands from your leg.
    "Why did you come out here?" You ask. "I told Mr Jenkins I would be fine."
    "You were gone too long," he explains moving your  jeans up. "Mr Jenkins sent me to get you because the rain. Obviously, that doesn't matter now. My clothes will never dry."
     "Poor thing." You mumble and he says nothing. But as retaliation he pushed into your ankle and you hiss.
    "Who's the snake now?" He asked and you bite your tongue. "You hit your knee but it's just cut from hitting something solid. Probably a rock. Your ankle though, that is sprained at least."
    "Great. This weekend is going great already," you mumble wanting to lay down. But the thought of the snakes keeps you up. "Just help me up."
    "There's no way you're walking back there," he tsked. "It's a few miles and your ankle is already swollen."
   "What do you care?" You ask looking up at him.
    "I don't. But, Mr Jenkins might," he rose a brow. "And, I don't want to walk the speed of a snail. You can't even move your damn leg."
   "Well, I don't see any other option," you say. "We can't make a wrap or a splint."
   He had a mischievous look in his eyes, "give me the bag." You frown taking the bag off and handing it to him. "Jesus Christ. This fucking heavy no wonder you fell."
   You shake your head, "so now what? You leave me here to get someone else to help?"
    "I'm not that awful of a person," he scoffed. "I can be nice. Sometimes. But, I'm gonna carry you."
    "Absolutely not."
    "Do you see any other way?" He waits. "I didn't think so, now stop with the complaints and hold on."
   "Don't you even dare think about dropping me," you mumble as he lifts you from the ground.
"Didn't come across my mind till now," he rolled his eyes. "It would be funny to see your face." You glare. "Would it not? If someone was carrying me and dropped me, would you laugh?"
"I would laugh at the person who would be struggling to keep you in their arms," you say. "You're a fucking giant and you would never give the person the chance."
"I've been carried," he laughs. "A few times."
"It doesn't count as a child," you laugh too and he slips a little making you latch on tighter. "Careful."
"Don't worry," he sighed. "I won't drop you." You lock eyes with him for a moment and move the wet hair from his forehead. "Thanks." You nod and he starts walking again.
"Sweet Pea?" Jughead stood around the edge of the campsite. "Y/N? What the hell happened?"
"I fell," you say. "Think my ankle is sprained."
"Sit her here," Jughead moves stuff from a bench. "I'll get the first aid kit from Jenkins." Sweet Pea set you down on the bench carefully.
"God it's freezing," he said looking around the site. "Wait here."
"Well, I can't exactly go anywhere," you try to sound light. "That sounded rude didn't it?" He doesn't acknowledge your question before he goes into the tent. He comes out in new clothes and throws a jacket at you. You give him a look as you slide on the Serpent jacket. "That looks ridiculous on you."
"Well, I'm not made of taffy that can stretch to extensive lengths," you say. "Unlike some people." He chuckles lowly. "You know, this is the first time you have actually laughed at something I've said. Do I humor you?"
"Only when you look like this," he smirks. "Covered in mud, soaking wet, and some blood on your face. Not how I pictured finding you like that, I thought there would at least be another girl you were rolling with."
"You imagined finding me like this?" You laugh. "That's weird."
"I imagine finding you a lot of ways," he winks. "Just thought that maybe jello would be first." You roll your eyes. "Thought at least with Sierra this weekend. You gave her those eyes."
"What eyes?"
"The 'Don't tempt me and I won't kill you' eyes," he explains.
"I don't have those eyes!"
"Oh you do. They're usually directed at me though," he chuckled. "Or Reggie. What did she say to you? Hmm... Did she tell you that she was going to make a move on someone you like? Archie?"
You snort loudly, "Archie? God no! He's as much as family as Jughead. Besides he's with Veronica."
"Alright," he nods. "But you didn't deny that she was gonna make a move on someone. Who? Who does Y/N have a little crush on?"
"No one," you say. "Not one person."
"Right. I'll get it out of you," he raised a brow. "Maybe I can help you get this guys attention."
"No thanks."
"Here," Jughead comes back. "Sweet Pea will you get her shoe off and wrap her ankle. I'm gonna get your face."
"Wait... Is it bad?" You ask touching your face.
    "I think it's made some improvements," Sweet Pea chuckled from your feet and you use your other leg to kick him, making him fall. "Son of a bitch."
     "Don't talk about yourself that way," you smile sweetly. "Where is my phone?" You go through the bag and finally find it drying the screen off. "Oh my god! My forehead and my chin? How did this even happen?" You run your fingers over the wounds.
    "Hey at least you didn't bite your tongue as you fell," Jughead laughed.
    "I wouldn't complain if she did," Sweet Pea says and you try to kick him again but he catches your leg this time. "Ah! Keep those muddy ass shoes to yourself."
    "Y/N, what happened? Are you alright?" Sierra comes over and sits next to you. "Your face!"
    "Yeah," you nod. "My face. I was gathering wood and I seen a snake so I ran. Well, don't run in muddy weather." You gesture to yourself.
    "Oh my gosh," she smiles sweetly. "Let me get you clothes and a towel. You look like you're freezing." She goes to your tent, it's not that she was a bad person. You didn't really know her, but something was off with the way she acted. She comes back with your shower bag and clothes. "Here you go. Do you need anything else? Also, do you think my show has been working? Do you think he's been noticing?"
    "Probably. He's not blind and your boobs are out. But, I don't think he's your type," you smile back sadly. "Are we almost finished here?" She frowns and looks at you with spite as she watches Sweet Pea wrap your foot.
    "Yeah," Sweet Pea spike quietly as he wrapped your foot one last time. "Here take this bag so you don't get the bandage wet." He grabs the plastic bag that Jughead brought the supplies over with.
    "Thanks," you push it into your bag and sit up. "How do I walk with these things?" You gesture at the crutches that Mr Jenkins was forced to take from the school.
    "Right," he nods. "Well, you put them under your arms. Your hands go on those things. And you just swing them out as you walk. The crutches go out first  and you balance with your good foot." You nod trying it out. These really hurt your arms. "You look like someone who is trying to skate on ice for the first time." You ignore him going to the showers. Of course they were public and the only type of privacy was two curtains. One that separates the shower area from the hall then one that separates dry from wet.
    The shower felt nice. Warmth finally encased you pushing all of the cold away and with a final shudder you were all warm. Your face stung as you cleaned away the dirt and dry blood. You heard the door open and close, making you freeze. You hear it again followed by Reggie's voice.
    "You left your towel," Reggie says and he says something else but you can't hear him over the water. You can tell though that the other person is Sweet Pea. Great. You decide to let it go and continue showering. They couldn't see you anyways. "Y/N... Didn't know you were so open to communal bathrooms. We should get some for the school."
    "Leave me alone Mantle," you hold the shower curtain closed. "Don't you know that you aren't supposed to be in here anyways?"
     "Please," he laughs on the other side. "Jenkins doesn't want to be here anymore then we do. He's locked in his tent for the afternoon probably being a Perv on some dating app. Come on, you don't wanna show me what you hide under your clothes?"
     "You are the last person I would show," you say. "Please leave so I can get dressed."
     "Why would I do that? The shows all here," he ran his fingers against the outside curtain. "You can finally get your Serpent title."
     "Dude," Sweet Pea was there now. "Leave her alone." There's lightness almost laughter in his voice. "Go watch Sierra change or something. She's been putting a show on all day. Y/N will show us when she's ready."
     "Is there like a party going on out there? I just want to get dressed so I can go back to the tent," you say turning the water off and grabbing your towel. "I won't be in your hair all night. Just let me get dressed."
    "He's gone," Sweet Pea chuckled. "Sorry."
    "Cool. Can you please leave," you say.
    "I could," he says. "You could also be decent and accept the apology."
    "Oh my god," you tighten your towel pushing the curtain so he could see your face. "Seriously? Go get your shower."
    "I will," he smiles. "Accept the apology."
   "Oh my gosh," you groan. "This is ridiculous! I am naked."
    "Oh, I know," he smirked. "I really know." You felt like he was looking through the curtain and your towel, though you felt a warm sensation in your core. You were scared that you might start to blush.
    "Okay. Fine... I accept the apology," you take a breath. "Now please, leave me alone."
    "You know," he drawls. "If it makes you feel better, you aren't the only one naked."
    "It doesn't," your eyes widen. "It definitely doesn't."
    "Please," he chuckled. "I can see your brain working. Thinking of dirty things? What kind of dirty things?" He raises a brow as you bite your inner lip. "The dirty feel of my hands on your legs again? Hmm... Or do you want my hands on you?"
    "Neither," you frown.
    "Oh please," he rolled his eyes. "I can see it in your face. Your eyes are glossy and you're biting your little lip. You only do that when you're thinking hard about something."
   "How do you know that?" You frown.
   "I know a lot about you," he shrugs. "You frown like that when you're confused. You do it when you're reading. When you're trying to figure out math problems."
    "You watch me?" You ask.
    "No," he smiles again. "So tell me... What are you thinking about?"
     "Nothing."
     "Right. Look at your eyes. You want me," he winks. "You can say it, you know."
      "I can say what?"
     "Tell me," he said. "I wanna hear it come from you. I wanna hear you say it."
    "Well that is not going to happen," you say. "I would love to get off my foot. It kinda hurts."
    "Sounds like an invite."
    "On what planet?" You scoff.
    "Come on," He almost purred. "I know you feel it too. I seen it in your eyes when I carried you back to the camp."
   "You are so much," you groan.
   "Babe," he laughed pushing the curtain out of the way. "Can we do this without all of the bickering? Please?" You say nothing. "Okay. I'll let this out. Okay? You drive me crazy. Like, completely insane. I literally can never stop thinking about you. So... Yeah." You freeze. Nothing seemed to work as you stood in front of him. Your brain. Your muscles. Nothing. "Okay. So please at least say something."
    "I," you don't say anything. "I can't think, my ankle hurts."
    "Sit down," he orders. "You need to keep it elevated. Come on." He pushes you to the bench. "Can I get you anything? Here..." He turns on the cold water. "Let me see the bag." You give it to him. "Okay. This will help with some of the swelling."
    "Thanks," you stare at the ceiling. "And, uh, the towel is falling."
    "Sorry," he mumbled. "Your hands are scraped."
    "Well," you say. "I fell on them."
    "Right," he laughed. "Erm, I won't do anything if you don't ask. Just so you know. It's an act."
    "It's not a great one."
    "You still haven't answered," he raised a brow. "What are you thinking about?"
     "I don't know," you mumble. "Everything kinda went blank."
    "I have that effect on people," he laughed. "You should get dressed. Don't want to catch a cold."
    "I would," you say. "But, you are in here."
    He laughs, "Can't blame a guy for trying?"
    "Right," you laugh. "Can I ask though, just because I don't want to make a complete full of myself. Do you think about me?"
    You take a moment to think, "yeah, Sweet Pea, I do." You can see a little light come to his face and you hold back a laugh. "You know... Didn't think that I would ever be having this conversation like this."
    "Yeah? How did you think it would be?" He asked.
    "Thought you would finally get your head out of your ass. We would argue about something but it would be stupid as always. Then, something would just click and it would come out," you shrug. "It would be sweet."
    "I can do sweet."
    "Can't redo time though," you say and he nods walking out of the shower. "Sweet Pea?" He pauses you look at you as you push the bag of water off of your foot to stand. He steadies you as you face him. Nothing is said as you wrap your arm around his neck to bring him closer. You connect your lips together and he is surprised. Finally, his lips move against yours. He keeps his hands at your waist keeping you close. The heat in your core grows even hotter melting your insides. His skin touches yours and you forget that you're in a communal bathroom. You forget everything really. Your heart beats so loud, you heat it in your ears. He kissed down your jaw to your neck. You gasp as his teeth graze the wet skin and you know that he liked the sound as his grip grew tighter. He continued to harass the spot, leaving a mark no doubt. You were jelly in his hands and you might do anything if he asked.
    "Get dressed," he pulled away leaning his forehead into yours. You watched his throat bob as he swallowed. "Before we do something we shouldn't."
    You nod letting out a breath that you didn't know you were holding, "good idea." He kissed you again before leaving. You stare at yourself in the mirror for a moment trying to wrap your head around everything. Shock. You get dressed quickly and scrunch the water out of your hair with your towel. The mark on your neck was forming already, purple sticking out surrounded in pink. You push the curtain open and almost scream as Sweet Pea was standing there. "How did you get dressed so fast?"
    "Just a gift," he shrugs. "Need a hand?"
    "Sure," you smile as he takes your bag. "Oh here's your jacket."
    "Don't worry about it," he smiles. "Brought it for you anyways." You give him a look. "Not really, but it looks better on you."
    "Thanks," you blush.
    "I didn't know you could blush," he jokes. "I've only seen you flush with anger."
    "Ditto. Though, I thought your blood flow was going to get flushed south earlier," you joke back.
    "And jokes," he smiled. "Can this be all the time? I like this."
    "It can... On one condition," you say and he looks at you. "Tell Sierra that she's not your type. She's flaunting herself for you."
    "Deal."