Jughead Jones- Steps

"I can't believe that she cheat on me with my best friend!" Jughead slams his things on the table as you and his two other friends follow him into his trailer. You've been listening to this for a few weeks now. "Fucking Archie Andrews, you know I would've died for him! Fuck! I almost did! And this is how he pays me back. And, Betty... Of all people." Every time he sees them he gets upset.
   "Dude," Fangs shakes his head. "I'm so sorry."
   "Calm down," you try to ease the seething boy. "Jug, please, just sit before you break something." He looks at you for a second and let's out a sigh and sits. "Now, I know that you are upset and I am so sorry she did this to you. It sucks, believe me I have been through it. And, you were there for me. So, I'm gonna be there for you."
   "Listen to her," the other two boys nod. "She's been screwed over a lot."
   "Thanks," You shake your head at them. "I appreciate the help."
   "Thanks,Y/N," Jug smiled smally but you could see his sadness behind his eyes. You love him and it hurt to see him like this the last time he was so hurt was when his mom left the first time. You've been friends with the dark headed kid since you could remember and he was by far your best friend.
  "Always," you smile back."Now, how about I make you a burger? We don't have to leave the trailer!"
"That sounds great, but I really wanna be alone," he sighed and you look at the other boys. Jughead was never the one to turn down food.
   "Jughead," Fangs tried But Jughead just shakes his head in response.
   "Guys," you stand up and look at the two. "Can you do me favor? Go get Toni and buy a few snack things. Also, bring some booze."
   "Alright," Sweet Pea nods. "Why?"
   "Because food, booze, and an old friend. That's how anyone gets over a break up," you shrug. "Thanks, boys." You push them out the door then turn to Jughead. "You are going to get along just fine with me."
   "I don't need you to babysit me," Jug groaned and you roll your eyes. "Leave, please."
   "No thanks," you shrug and sit on his coffee table.
   "Leave."
   "No."
   "Leave."
   "Nope."
    "Leave."
    "No."
    "Get out!"
    "Sorry, I can't do that."
    "Y/N!"
     "Jughead!"
    "Get out!"
    "No!"
  You do that back in forth for a while then sit in silence then start it again. You move and sit on his legs and pull his beanie off. "Y/N, please."
   "Little Juggie," you shake your head. "I told you, that I am not leaving you! You're my friend! My best friend, actually. We are basically family and what kind of friend would I be if I left you in a time of need?"
   "One who respects my wishes," he said and you roll your eyes. "Look, I appreciate you being here. I know you want to help. But, right now, you can't help me."
   "That's what you think," you smile. "I'm sorry, that Betty is a bitch. I'm sorry that your best friend did this to you. I'm sorry that you are going through what I went through. So many times." He looks up at you as you laugh bitterly. "Maybe it's me... Maybe I am poison and unhappiness just follows me. That's why my friends have bitter relationships and why all my boyfriends are jerks."
  "You're not poison," he says. "You're great. You just fall for the wrong people as it seems, so do I."
   "Well, I guess we both have some to sulk about," you sigh. "The last person I dated was Richard Deeson. That stuck up, bitch Bulldog."
   "Richard was way more than that," he laughed. "Richard, well there is no actual name for him. He was just an awful guy."
    "That he was," you laugh. "Jug, you think we can ever be with good people?"
   "I don't know," he shrugs. "I think anyone can be good, they just like the bad decisions better."
   "Some times they are more fun," you say as the door swings open. "Thank god! I need that."
   "What did you do to her?" Sweet Pea asked looking at Jughead. "She was peachy before."
  "Don't call me that!" You yell shaking off the memories of people calling you that. "That was seven years ago!"
   "Oh, but the memory is still new," Toni smiles at you. "What is going on?"
   "Toni," You smile. "You came!"
  "I did," she nods. "Only because the two doofuses literally forced me into their car and said Jughead was in trouble."
  "Well He is," you say. "But not lethally. He just, had a little eye opener in a bad way today."
  "I heard," she nods. "Which sucks, but I don't see why I have to be here?"
  "You were here for his last," You say. "You know the right thing to do and say."
   "Oh," she nods. "I think booze was a good idea, but Jughead doesn't really have a thing for alcohol."
  "I do," you say taking the bottle from Sweet Pea. "I like alcohol. It's my favorite get up."
   "I'll take it," Jug shrugs taking the bottle from you. "I need to change a few things from my life anyways, right?"
   "Jug," you try to stop him. "You don't... Your dad."
    "If I have one drink," he says. "It won't make me like my dad." You give him a look and he shrugs it off as he throws his head back. "Are you going to just watch me or are you going to join?"
   "I'm gonna join ya," Fangs said grabbing the bottle from his hand.
   "I'm not," Toni shook her hand. "This is a train wreck. He's worse than I thought."
   "I know," you sigh. "What are we going to do?"
   "I don't know," she said looking at the three boys who were sharing a bottle. "But, I'm glad you wanted my help." Later that night, Fangs and Sweet Pea were escorted out of the trailer and to their own places by Toni leaving you with Jughead again. F.P was running late so you sit with the kid on the couch.
   "Betty," he sighs sadly and you look at him confused. "I like really, really loved her. She was my Juliet."
   "I know, Jug. It sucks and I wish I could turn back time for you and change everything, I do, but I can't," you say wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "Time travel hasn't been invented yet."
   "That we know of."
   "Yeah," you laugh. "That we know of." He leans into you and you can feel his depression. "I'm so, so sorry Juggie." He buries his face in your shoulder and he was shaking. You weren't sure if this was the over power of the alcohol on his emotions or if this was really him, but it broke your heart. You just run your hand up and down his back to try and comfort him which works because he falls asleep on you.
  You wake up the next morning with a blanket thrown over you and a pillow under your head. Jughead was no longer on the couch with you and the sun was blaring in your eyes. You sit up confused and looking around, Jughead was in his kitchen with a bottle of juice in hand and a bottle of aspirin in the other.
   "Well," You laugh a little looking at the very hungover boy. "Hangovers are the worst part of my five steps."
   "Five?" He asks, his voice hoarse and full sleep. "Was that only step one?"
   "Oh yeah," you laugh. "Step one, have a friend come and have a good time. Step two, eat as much as you want and do things your ex maybe didn't want you to do. Step three, rid yourself of your ex with your friends and pack their things up. Step four, admit to yourself that you do not need a life with them and you are better without them. Come up with things you can do now and do them. Step five, get over them. Give their things to them and be civil. Getting over them, means you don't have any feelings towards them anymore, not even hatred. They are just another person in the world, that happens to be your ex."
   "That sounds like two steps," he points out.
   "Yeah, well I've never been able to full complete that whole step," You laugh. "Maybe it should be."
   "Then, let's get there together," he suggests sitting his glass on the table. "I will get over her and you can get over all of your exes."
   "Okay," after. "Let's do it. We definitely got through step one. So, step two, let's eat everything and do anything they wouldn't let us do. It's the freedom step. Something that I wasn't allowed to do when I dated Richard was wear shorts or dresses that didn't go past here." You point to a point on your thigh. "He said I was asking for attention and wanted to get other guys to notice me. He also wouldn't let me go out with my friends."
   "Well you go out with your friends now," he says and you nod. "So, where whatever you want! Wear just a shirt for all I care."
   "What about you?" You ask.
   "She didn't like when I played G&G but that was obvious... She didn't like me joking the Serpents, but that changed. I think... She really didn't have any problems with things I've done," he said. "Only when I was playing G&G... She didn't like when I was drag racing."
   "Then, we are gonna go drag racing," you smile. "But, I don't know anyone else with a car so you're gonna race me!"
   "Fine," he laughed. "Then, go change and I will meet you at the strip." You nod leaving the trailer and walking into the sun. The light was overbearing as you walked home. Your place was on the Southside, but it wasn't as run down as most. It was actually kinda nice. You open the door and run to your room throwing on a pair of shorts and a black tank top then a jacket and thigh high black boots. All of which, Richard did not like unless you wore them for only him. You throw on your sunglasses and grab your keys.
   "Where are you going dressed like that?" Sweet Pea asked looking at you confused as you walked out of your house. "Not that it doesn't look good, you just..."
   "I am going through my five steps," you explain. "With Jug, we are doing it together. Richard didn't like when I wore shorts or tank tops or my boots. I thought I'd do all of the above. He didn't like when I hung out with friends, but I do that all the time. Now we are gonna go race because Betty didn't like when Jug was racing."
   "You are gonna race? What?"
  "Our cars," you laugh. "Come on, it will be fun and you, Friend, are a much better driver than I."
   "Please," he shook his head. "I am a much better driver than everyone in this shit town. Let's go."
   "Cool," You smile and throw the keys to him. "The strip." He nods and starts your car.
   "Sweet Pea?" Jughead looked at you confused.
   "He's a better driver," you shrug. "I'm gonna start the race." You walk around the car and stop at the drivers side window. "Let him win and don't fuck up my baby."
   "No promises," he winks and you hit his forehead. "I'll let him win."
   You smile sweetly, "thanks. Alright get in your cars! Toni is he ready?"
   "He's good," Toni gives you a thumbs up. "Alright, Fangs?"
    "He is too," he says walking around the car.
   "Alright! Drivers," you say. "Start the engines. Remember it's just a race and we aren't fucking up cars. That's a gem, and if something breaks then you are paying for it. Both of you." They start the cars. "Ready?" They nod. "First one back wins, Go!"
   "How did you get him to do this?" Toni asked.
   "I got Jug to do it because it's Step Two. Do something your ex didn't like. It's the freedom step," you explain. "I got Sweet Pea to do this, with a little feeding of his ego."
   "Makes sense," Fangs chuckled. "Sweets ego is bigger than he is."
   "Yeah," you nod with a laugh. You see the cars on their way back. The sound of them vibrating through the trees and echoing towards you. They skid to a stop in front of the three of you. "Jug is the winner!"
   "You're pretty damn good, Jones," Sweet Pea said. "Honestly." You look at him and he nods. "I was gonna let you win, but you took off and I was actually trying."
   "That must've killed you," You laugh. "It was really excruciating to watch."
   "It did," he said.
   "What's next?" Jughead asked. "I feel great."
   "We eat," you say with a toothy grin. "We eat like we've never eaten before and we're never gonna eat again."
   "I'm so down," he said smiling back. "You guys comin?"
   "No," Toni shook her head. "I have to get back to Cheryl, but I'm glad you're feeling better today."
   "Guys?"
   "No, we gotta a lot of guy things to do," Fangs said. "Like sitting at home and not killing ourselves over feelings."
   "Well you aren't gonna have fun," you shrug. "Drop my car off at home, Sweets, straight there. You know I don't play."
   "I know," he held his hands up. "I'll put your keys in the usual place." You nod as he and Fangs get into the car.
   "Let's go," you say looking at Jug. "I owe you a few shakes, winner."
   "I can get my own," He laughed opening his door. "But, let's go because I am starving."
   "Well, you haven't eaten in a few days," you laugh. "You should be." You order one of everything at Pops and literally feel like you're gonna explode in the end. Both of you laughing and ready to fall into food comas, you go back to Jug's trailer. "I literally feel so bloated."
   "Me too," he chuckled. "I can't move." He fell to the couch and you did the same leaning your head against the back of it, closing your eyes.
   "This is the second time today that I walk in and the two of you are sleeping on my couch," you hear F.P say. "Something I should know?"
   "Cleansing," You say. "Cleansing him of Betty. I am his friend and it's my job."
   "Cleansing?"
    "It's a process which is made of five steps but really it's like eight," Jughead explained. "It's all weird stuff, but..."
   "Okay," F.P says. "Don't get hurt, cleansing each other? And, make sure you stay out of trouble." You both nod as he leaves.
    "That was the hardest thing I've ever done," you groan feeling exhausted. "Moving my mouth then my head." He laughed but agreed. "Step two is done. Step three is tomorrow." He nods.
   "Thanks," He says. "For being here, and not leaving when I told you too."
   "If I left every time you told me to," you laugh. "We would never see one another. But, you're welcome. I'm glad I get to help this time and that I have seen you every day since it happened."
   "Weird," he chuckled.
   "I know, but I can't think straight. I'm too full," you groan.