Archie-Lost (Dedication to Luke Perry)

"Have you seen Archie?" You ask Veronica and Betty who were discussing the upcoming play. "I have been looking for him all day."
   "He got a call about his dad," Betty gave you a sullen look. "Fred had a heart attack at work today and he didn't survive the ambulance ride." You gale at the blonde not sure if this was real. "Archie went to Riverdale General."
   "Fred died?" You ask trying to piece together the information. "When did he leave?"
   "During second," Veronica sighed. "He didn't even tell us. We heard a few teachers talking about it." You nod slowly.
   "I need to go find him," you say. "Had Josie tried?" They nod. "Oh my god, poor Archie. I am gonna go try to look for him and I'll text the group if I do."
   "Alright," Veronica nods. "If you need help call and we will come. Please, as soon as you find him let us know."
   "I will, V," you sigh.
    "Y/N," Betty said softly. "I'm sorry."
    "Thanks Bets," you smile sadly before leaving the school to go to the hospital. It was always empty at the hospital and had a grave look. Before the front desk could even greet you, you had opened your mouth. "Hi, I am looking for the Andrews. Archibald or Archie for Fred."
   "Are you family?" He asks.
   "Yes," you lie. "I am Archie's step sister." He nods before getting in the computer. You tap your fingers looking around the room. There was an older man sitting in a leather chair across the room. He didn't look sick or sad. He looked peaceful with a book in hand.
   "Miss, this way Please," he said standing in seat. He walks you down the hall and to an elevator, pressing the down button. He sits quietly and looks at the floor the entire ride making you nervous. As the elevator halts and dings. He gestures for you to go first. "This is Kayla Simons, she is a case worker and has requested that anyone for Mr Andrews go to her." You nod slowly.
   "Hello," You say shaking her hand. "I'm Y/F/N."
   "Hi," she smiled. "Right this way." You follow her into a small room with a table and chairs. "Now, I've already spoken with Archie. Can I ask what's your relations to Mr Andrews?" She pulls out a folder.
   "Private," You say. "I grew up with Archie and Mr Andrews. He always helped out my mom after my dad passed in the war and he is kinda guide for me. Always had the right thing to say." She nods. "I heard..." You begin to choke up as you think of Fred as you actually process what was happening. "I heard that he passed at work? Do you know if he was hurting? Was he in pain?"
   "I am so sorry," she sighed. "I'm not sure exactly, but the doctor will tell you. Can I get you anything?" You shake your head. "Let me bring you to Archie then. He is just in the room down the hall." She walks you down the hall and knocks softly on a closed door before opening it. You see the familiar red hair of the usually happy boy. His face breaks your heart, guilt stricken and broken. His eyes were dark with sadness. "Mr Andrews, there is someone else for you." He looks at you for a moment before looking back down at his hands. "I will leave you two alone."
   "Arch," You sigh shutting the door behind you before sitting in front of him. You bite your lip trying to think of what to say. "I am so sorry, Arch, I can't..." You trail off as you notice the shaking in his shoulders. You see small drops fall to his hands and your heart breaks even more. You wrap your arms around him bringing him into you, holding him tight. His body is trembling against you as he silently cries into your shoulder. "Oh, Archie." You didn't want to let yourself cry. You wanted to be strong for him, so you bite your lip and close your eyes.
   "It's my fault," he said. "I wasn't here. I left and he was alone. I was supposed to be here for him and take care of him. It's all my fault and I didn't even get to tell him goodbye." You shake your head grabbing his face.
   "It is not your fault Archie Andrews. You didn't know that any of this would happen. No one did. No one knew that he would become sick like he did. We don't even know what caused it. Stress. Health. Work. There are so many factors. Do not blame yourself for this, you know he wouldn't want that," you say looking into his eyes now. "Your dad wouldn't want you to beat yourself up over this, he knows how hard it is... To lose the man in your life you always looked up to. He felt what you feel and he blamed himself. But, we know that his dad getting sick wasn't because of him. Just like this isn't because of you." You feel tears biting at the back of your eyes. "Please, try to understand that."
   "I still left," he said. "I left him after he was shot, maybe if I stayed he'd be okay."
   "We don't know," you say. "Maybe if you stayed, Hiram would've had him killed. We don't know. So, you can't blame yourself."
   "I don't know what I am going to do without him," Archie's voice quivered. "I can't do this without my dad."
   "I know," you say. "I know. I'm so sorry, Arch." You hug him again as a knock is heard.
   "Hi, Mr Archibald Andrews?" A woman in a white coat says coming in. Archie nods. "Hi, I am Doctor Alexis Sloan, you are Fredrick Andrews son?" Archie nods again. "And, you?"
   "Very close with the family," you say.
   "Is it alright to discuss this with her present?" She asks looking back at Archie.
   "Yes, you can tell her anything," Archie said and you grabbed his hand in support.
   "Alright," She said. "I want to express how sorry I am. It is never east going through this process and at such a young age. If you have questions, please ask. I want you to understand all of your options." Archie nods. "Alright, well, first I want to explain what happened. Well, over the course of the last few months it seems that your father has had multiple "Silent" heart attacks. These can only be detected by imaging and blood tests can show if you have had this kind of heart attack. It's what we call a Coronary Artery Spasm and it is one of the least lethal though most of the time it will lead to a more major heart attack. We believe that it caused the artery to become partially blocked then completely over time. Has your father expressed any symptoms, such as chest pain, nausea, or even bursts of anxiety?"
   "Not that I am aware of."
   "Alright," She nods. "We are not completely sure what caused the CAS to start. We think that it could have to do with the stress of his recent injury." Archie nods. "But, we cant be sure. I want you to know that your father is being kept in a room right now on ventilators. It will be your decision overall, but we has been pronounced. His circulation and heart had stopped beating we have done everything we can to get him back. He has not yet progressed to brain death, but we can assure you that he is in no pain. So, I need to talk to you about your options." You feel the squeeze of his hand as he nods for her to go on. "You can choose to keep your father on the machines and hope for a miracle. There are little to no chances for him to fully recover even if his heart starts to beat on its own. I want to tell you that this option, though it seems like it's giving you more time. It's hard on the visitors. He is going to be in a vegetive state for as long as he can. Another option is to take out the ventilators and allow him to pass peacefully. We will assure that he is comfortable and will not feel a thing. He will be in no pain. With this option, you can also choose to let his organs be donated. This will be giving many people a chance to live. Many sick people who have been waiting a long time. You will be able to donate his lungs, pancreas, kidneys, tissue, corneas, bones, tendons, and skin. Now, we do understand if you don't wish for this option and we want to leave the decision entirely up to the family. But, I can tell you that taking out the ventilators will be more comfortable for him."
   "Will we be allowed to be with him?" Archie asked and she nods. "The entire time?"
   "You can be with him as long as you'd like, Mr Andrews, though most families do not like to stay as the ventilators are being taken out. It's hard to watch," she explains. "But, if you wish to stay. You can."
   "Alright," Archie says slowly. "And, there is no chance? At all?"
   "It's unlikely," she says.
   "Alright and if I donate his organs... A lot of people can live? Are they good people?" He asked.
   "I am not legally allowed to disclose personal information for patients and I am not personally aware of anyone in need of a donation," she explained. "It is illegal for any care person to discriminate against anyone, no matter the status."
  Archie nods slowly again, "Can we have a minute?"
  She nods standing, "I will be right outside. Take your time."
   "I don't know what to do," Archie said. "What if a killer gets his organs? Then, a bad guy is living and he's not."
   "But, what if a child gets his lungs?" You ask. "And, you give that kid a real chance at life. They go to college, have a family, run for president? You can't think of the bad Archie. I think your dad would like to be able to pass on life to someone else."
   "I know," Archie said. "I know he would because he is a great man and he wants the best for everyone. He wants to take care of everyone. He didn't deserve this, Y/N."
   "I know he didn't and it's unfair. But, he isn't really living if you keep him on those machines," you sigh. "And, he isn't actually leaving you. You still have him here." You point to his head. "And here." You point to his heart. "Everyone does. He passed wisdom and kindness on to everyone. I am pretty sure that only one person in this town can say something bad about him and that's because he punched the guy in the face." Archie chuckled lightly. "And, if you pass on his tissue and organs. There is an actual part of him living out in the world. Someone who needs it."
  "You're right," he sighed. "Thanks for coming."
   "I would've come sooner, if I knew," you say. "And, I would give my own heart and every single part of my body if it meant Fred can stay. I loved him too. Everyone did, even if they didn't know him."
   "Let's do it," Archie said standing. "Let's tell the doctor to take the ventilator out and donate his organs. And, hope that he gets to pass on his empathy to someone else." You stand to follow the boy as he explains to the doctor what he wants. She takes us to the room where Fred is hooked up to multiple machines. His eyes had dark circles under them, but he still had a faint smile on his lips. Just like he always did. His eyes had tape over them and there was tape holding the ventilator in. His skin was lighter than usual, but he still looked like a saint.
   "I will let the two of you have your time with him," Dr Sloan said. "Please, take all the time you need with him." She shuts the door behind her.
   "He's smiling," you say quietly and Archie looks confused. "He has his warm, welcoming smile. Or, just his natural face. He is always smiling and welcoming. I can't really remember when he didn't have the warm look on his face. Even when he was angry."
   "You didn't see that side," Archie said. "He got pretty angry a few times, with me. I had messed up pretty bad." He squeezes his eyes shut for a second.
   "It's alright, Arch, you don't have to," you say. "Just sit with him. Hold his hand." You guide him to the side of the bed. Sit him down and stand behind him. "Tell him whatever you want to tell him."
  "Before I left for Canada, he said that he never got the chance to say goodbye to his dad. And, he didn't want that to happen with us. But, this isn't goodbye. This is a I'll see you later," Archie said. "Because, we will see each other again, dad. I don't want you to worry anymore. I will make it through school and I will graduate. I will make you proud and when we see each other again, I will tell you everything you missed. And, I will tell you how much I love you and missed you. I will miss you, but it's okay dad. I want you to know that. I will be okay and you don't have to worry about me anymore. You don't have to stay for me, even though you want to. I know it's hard for you too, but it will be okay. You need to go be with Grandpa Artie. Tell him about your life and how great of dad you are. Tell him how much you meant to everyone here and how you will not be forgotten. And, tell him that you missed him too. I know you do. Don't stick around for me, dad, please. Don't put yourself through all of that exhaustion and pain because I will be okay. I have mom and all of my friends. I will take care of Vegas and I'll grow up for you. I will try to be as great as a dad to my kid as you are to me and they will know how great you are." You let tears fall from your eyes as Archie leans and kisses his dads hand. "I love you dad." You set a hand on his back as he held his dad's hand.
  "I'll take care of him, Mr Andrews," you promise. "I won't let him get himself into any serious trouble, because let's face it. Archie will get into trouble his whole life. But, he will always have me and I want you to know that. Just like you were always there for everyone. I'll miss you; you were like my second dad. Thanks for always being there for everyone and I want you to also know that you will not be forgotten. Love you, Fred."
   "Alright, dad, I am going to tell them to take the ventilators out. They said you won't feel anything, but it's okay to be scared. I told them to donate your organs to people who need them, because I think that's what you want. To give life to those who need it. I don't know what they are going to do exactly. I love you so much and I will miss you. It's okay to let go," Archie said. "Please, don't stay longer than you can. It's okay, I promise." The doctors come in and begin to distribute different medicines before taking out IVs and then the tube in his throat. You held Archie's hand as everything was taken from Fred's body that was keeping him alive. It seemed like an eternity watching it all unfold. They silenced the monitor as they finally took out the last tube. You watch the monitor lines go inconsistent and his chest rose and fell erratically then became consistent. It slowed in a rapid pace and the heart line had become almost nonexistent. "It's alright dad, you can go. I will be fine." And, finally the lines had gone straight. The life seemed to almost completely leave his body now as the doctors worked to prep him for organ donation.
   "Come on," you say pulling Archie from the room. "Let's get you a water." You bring him to the snack room and grab a water. "Drink." He takes the bottle.
  The funeral came quicker than you thought. Archie's mom came in from Chicago as soon as Archie called. She prepared everything and had invited everyone. The town had grown silent as the news spread. There was a vigil at the construction trailer. A moment of silence was held at school. An article was dedicated to him and even Hermione Lodge had set up a bench in his honor. Though, that would not do him justice.
   "My Dad was a great man," Archie starts looking along the crowd. "He never had anything bad to say about anyone and no one him. He liked to take care of everyone and spread wisdom amongst the people. He always wanted to do what was right for the people. He didn't have an evil bone in his body. I can't imagine a moment in my life that my dad wasn't a part of. He always supported all of my decisions and made sure that I had what I needed to succeed. He was an all around great guy and I don't know how I will ever be able to fill his impossible footsteps. I know that I will miss him every day. I told him that in the hospital. It's not a goodbye, it's I'll see you later and take care of yourself. I have gotten so much love from all of you, and I don't even know half of you. But, that's the type of man he was. Everyone knew him somehow and they know he is a good guy. I hope he stays proud up there." He eyes me. "Y/N."
   "Mr Andrews," you sigh. "I wasn't sure how to start this. I can name a million things about him, but you all know. He was a kind, generous, loving, charismatic man. He took care of me when I was young. He loved everyone and I know that he loved Archie unconditionally. I always looked up to him and hope that one day that I can be as good as a parent to him as he is to Archie. He always had a smile on his face and just seeing him would calm down the most anxious person. He always wanted to give to the people and he still does. His organs have been donated to amazing families and patients who are now given a second chance. Because Fred gave everyone a second chance. He didn't deserve this, but I know that he would be proud to give someone else a life. I'll miss you, Mr Andrews, for the rest of my life. And, I will keep my promise."
   "Thanks," Archie said with a small smile which you returned. "Thanks everyone who came. It means a lot to me and to him. He would love to know how many lives he actually touched and influenced because I don't think he knew. There is food in the kitchen help yourselves. He always left his home open to you all."

   This is in dedication to Luke Perry, who was taken in a young age. Of course I didn't know him, but he had a great influence on so many people. The way he portrayed Fred really showed how he actually was as a person. I hope that his family and friends get the closure, respect, and privacy they deserve. And that everyone will let them have it in this difficult time. Fly high, Luke, you will be missed but your legacy lives. 1966-2019.