Chapter 16 - Fallen Angel

Riley's POV

I looked up and was amazed at how they turned the Saracens stadium into something unrecognisable.

It was their official Victory Party and I wasn't going to come after my last encounter with Tom about a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really want to associate anything related to him after that night. But then his associates were associated with mine, so it would be completely pointless avoiding him.

There's no way I would distance myself from my friends just because of him. No chance.

It was also hard to turn Brent's invitation down when he told me that it was a Halloween themed party, as it fell on the last week of October. I was one hundred percent that Biddy told him that I absolutely loved Halloween.

Call it strange, but I loved it since as far as I could remember. Maybe because of the influence of my Halloween-crazed-parents. Our house by the month of October used to looked like a museum for the dead. Literally. They used to go over the top in dressing up and celebrating it. They used to host halloween parties annually. It was like a tradition.

Growing up, I remembered the whole street where we live used to look like a Halloween town. It was like a Willy Wonka village, Halloween version. But instead of chocolate bars and sweets, it was full of cobwebs, spiders, skeletons, graveyard, pumpkins and more. It was really mesmerizing and I truly missed it!

My parents stopped doing Halloween parties when I left home for University. Occasionally, I came home for halloween but it wasn't as good as it used to be. Possibly because half the people that we used to party with moved away all over the country.

James and I used to dressed up as a pair. There were times that I wonder if he thought about me during Halloween, 'cause it was our little tradition to dress up as a couple. I supposed, those were one of the fun times we had together that I missed. We were partners in crime.

I went to see my parents last weekend and told them about Bournemouth, the Saracens, but obviously I had to leave the part about Tom and I. Although, I told them about the paddleboard incident and that he saved me.

They also asked me where my boyfriend was. They seemed very thrilled and curious about him.

I shouldn't have started that.

They told me how the dinner went with the Gregories. I was surprised when they told me that James turned up too. To be honest, I didn't think that he would. I thought he would be a no-show. He had done that a few times in the past, a few months before we broke up.

I rolled my eyes when my mother was trying to talk me into meeting up with him again. He kept asking about me according to them, and seemed genuine about it. I just shrugged it off. Apparently, he was based in London for the indefinite time. I reassured them that I'd meet up with him, to keep them quiet. Also, to keep the peace, as I didn't want to be pushed into it.

I mentioned about the halloween themed victory party. I told them that I might go as Medusa. But my mum suggested that I could go as an angel. I was a bit reluctant because I didn't want to go for something too common. She took out a pair of angel wings from the loft anyway, but was reluctant herself when she saw it was damaged. One side of the wing was slightly broken which made me changed my mind.

I thought it was perfect!

So, I decided to go as a Fallen Angel.

It was a bit dusty and grey. But I loved it! It wasn't small and wasn't too big. It was also lightweight so it was easy to carry. I thought it was really cool. I loved the slight bent of the right wing 'cause it looked more dramatic and real.