NINE

Everyone was at the dining table. Everyone except Azriel and Nalé. I glanced over at Rhys. Don't worry. I'd understand if Nalé didn't want to show up. Rhys said to me. I smiled at him, he was probably right. I looked over at the entrance and saw Azriel fly in and land. Alone. He tucked his wings in and walked over to the table.

"Everything alright?" I asked.

"She's not coming," he said. But it wasn't the Azriel I knew. He was quieter know. As if debating. Calculating.

"What did she do now?" Mor asked with a snake's tongue. Azriel looked her over.

"Nothing," was all he said before serving himself some food and eating in silence. We all copied his movement but it was an awkward meal.

Rhys?

Yes darling?

Can you convince Cassian and Mor to leave with you? I want to talk to Az, I said to my mate. He placed a hand on mine and smiled while nodding his head.

"Cass, Mor. Come with me," he said while getting up. The two pouted.

"But we only just started eating!" Cassian exclaimed.

"And you can finish after we come back. Now get your lazy ass up," he said, smirking. Cass glared at him while getting up, Mor following suit. Azriel looked at Rhys with questioning eyes. He shook his head with an apologetic look and walked out with the other two in toe. I stood up and sat next to him, in Nalé's seat.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" I asked him gently. He looked me over.

"There's not really something wrong then?" Azriel asked, nodding in the direction the other three just left in. I shook my head. He smiled a little. "Wait till Cass finds out he got pulled away from a meal for nothing."

"Az?" he looked at me again and there was hurt in his eyes, gone a second later.

"I- I think I messed up," he said quietly.

"Why? Was it because of Mor?"

"Not only," he said.

"May I see?" I asked, nodding to his head. He nodded and I slipped into his mind. I watched the memory of this morning between the two and slipped out after that again. "I see now," I said carefully. Azriel's head hung and it hurt me to see him this defeated.

"I don't know why I said it. I don't know why I thought it would help or why she would even want to come," Azriel stumbled.

"Az-" I said. He looked up at me, "- do you want me to talk to her?" He shook his head.

"I should be the one to do it," he said. I smiled and placed a hand on his hand.

"Good," I said. He raised a brow at me. "If you go to her now, it'll show her that you care and that you don't want to lose her. It'll show her that you're not ready to lose her that easily. You're willing to fight to keep her. I think that's what she needs," I said, giving his forearm a squeeze. He nodded.

"I'll go find her," he said before getting up and heading away from the table. He got to the balcony and flew away. I smiled at where he had been.

How is he? Rhys sent down the bond.

Learning. I think they're right for each other.

So we can return? I laughed.

Yes, you can return. How's Cass?

You'll see, he replied with a chuckle. A moment later Rhys appeared with Mor and Cassian behind me. Cassian seemed to be fuming.

"You told him to take me away from the meal so you can talk to Az?" he asked me sternly. I smiled.