SIXTEEN

I stare at the shadowsinger, standing in the doorway, admiring the marble structure surrounding us. "Azriel, what are you doing here?" I ask, my voice slightly shaky. His eyes come to mine.

"I came looking for you," he says. He walks up to us and kneels next to me. He looks at my mother and lowers his torso. "You must be Nalé's mother, the Queen of Mystia," he says. She smiles.

"You must be the shadowsinger Nalé has mentioned," she replies, bowing her head slightly in acknowledgment. Azriel smiles at my mother.

"I believe I am," he faces me and smiles. "I didn't know you could make a whole castle." I roll my eyes slightly and look away.

"If I can destroy one, I can obviously make one," I snap. My mother examines both of us.

"What seems to be the issue? You had a disagreement?"

"This wasn't supposed to be a counselling session," I say, standing up, not entirely pleased with Azriel's presence.

"Nalé, please," Azriel says, grabbing my wrist. I look at him, still kneeling. "I want to apologise. I didn't mean it. You didn't let me explain," he starts. I stare at his hand on my wrist. He lets go, hesitantly. "Please," he begs. I shake my head.

"I can't do this. Not now," I say. I point my palm to the portal but my mother holds up her hand.

"I would like to speak to the shadowsinger," she says. I raise a brow at her.

"But mother," I start. She tilts her head upwards slightly. I sigh and lower my hand. "Very well," I say before walking away from the portal and my mother and mate. I walk through a door leading to a staircase. I close the door behind me and start up the spiral stairs. Up and up I go until I walk out onto a balcony. The wind whips through my hair, tossing it all over the place. I take a deep breath and sigh. I walked along the balcony to the smaller spire. On the middle of the bridge I look out to Prythian, wondering if I could ever really belong here, among the fae. Among the fae who my ancestors tried to dominate. To destroy. To control. Mor was right. I don't belong here. I lean against the edge and look down. The land is covered in green grass, colourful flowers, and blooming trees. I wonder what it would be like to be with my mother again. To be able to hold her. I sigh when I feel his presence at the entrance of the spire.

"Nalé?" he asks carefully. "Don't leave." I look over at him with a neutral expression.

"What are you talking about?" I reply. I surprise myself with the lack of emotion in my voice. Azriel seems to still as well. He composes himself. "Don't jump. Your mother- she sensed you wanted to join her," he says. I look away from him and back out towards Prythian.

"I don't belong here Azriel. Everyone sees it. Everyone except you. You and my mother," I explain, not looking at him. I feel him come closer to me and he is soon leaning against the edge of the balcony next to me.

"I know you feel that way. But you are welcome in the night court, except Mor, who doesn't know how to deal with you," he says. I scoff. "Please come back with me. Your mother told me some things about you. She told me you'd been friends with Tarquin for a long time and that you went to see him after you left here. You're not alone Nalé. And I want to help." I don't reply to him immediately. "Your mother said this is what Mystia looked like. It's lovely," he says. I hadn't heard him talk this much after each other to avoid silence. It unnerved me.

"Are you okay?" I ask. He looks me over.

"I miss you Nalé," he says, gently grabbing my hand. Then, I felt him at the edges of my mind again. Please come back with me. I will make sure Mor doesn't bother you anymore. And you can come here as often as you like. You can talk to your mother as often as you like. She would love for you to talk to her more. A set time, once a week, she said. So you can develop your life here without many distractions. And then you can tell her everything that happened at the end of the week. He says.