ONE

It had been a long while since Feyre destroyed Amarantha. But it had only been around a month since the King of Hybern was slain. I knew not just because everyone had talked about it and celebrated, but because I could feel it. He was, after all, related to me. And oh did I despise him. I had resorted to seeking refuge in Velaris, the Court of Dreams, after following its High Lord here. He didn't know I had followed him and before he could notice something was near him, I slipped off into the city. Since then I had worn a glamour to hide my resemblance to him and had used a different name. No one suspected a thing. Why would they? No one knew the king had an heir, not that I had any interest in his broken kingdom and the gods-damned awful name he had given to himself and thus me if I ever were to reveal who I really was.

Velaris was nice to me, and so were the people. Although I would spend days on end brooding over everything I had experienced in my short existence. I was just under 20 and had already seen so much bloodshed, had caused plenty too at the orders of my father and my king.

I rummaged through a drawer before grabbing the few coins I found in there. I kept my money hidden in different places in the house, as a precaution, not like there was anyone in Velaris that ever stole from another. It was remarkable and so so different from the world I had grown up in. I grabbed my cloak and swung it over my shoulders. I pulled up the hood, thus covering my shoulder-length blonde hair. It was starkly different from my actual appearance but that served a purpose. I was just another poor soul who happened to stumble into the borders of Velaris. I grabbed my bag and walked out of my small ramshackle house at the edge of the city. The less interaction I had with the people around me and in this city the better.

Walking through the city market, I made it a point to avoid conversation where possible. I avoided making eye contact with anyone and swiftly avoided anyone who made a move to approach me. I had heard about how Feyre's sisters had been made into high fae by the cauldron, and that one of them had been made a Seer. I made it a goal in life to never ever get close enough for her to sense that something was off about me. Although I would severely enjoy the look on the High Lord's face if he found out who I actually was and who he had been housing in his city without a single thought.

As I walked to the food stalls I traded some coins for a loaf of bread. I headed over to the herbs section in the market and stopped dead in my tracks as I saw the High Lady of the Night Court wandering through the stalls. I needed a herb, badly, for the potion I was planning to brew at home to stifle the immense power that threatened to rise in my veins. I had finished the last of the tonic this morning and, knowing that it only lasted 36 hours at most, I needed to brew another batch, today. After taking a steadying breath, I walked, with my head down, down the market stalls careful to avoid the eyes of the High Lady and the woman at her side, most likely a sister of hers at the resemblance between the two. I reached the stall I wanted and looked at the herbs in front of me. I gave a quick smile to the shop keeper before pointing at the herb I desired. "A dose please," I said quietly. The man weighed the amount and placed it on the counter.

"That'll be four coins," the man said kindly. I rummaged in the pocket of my pants and pulled out the four coins and handed them to him. He smiled at me and I dipped her head slightly before turning to leave. As I turned I almost bumped into the High Lady. My eyes went wide, the one person I was trying to avoid had watched me buy the herb now in my hand.

"That's an interesting herb to buy," she said by way of greeting, although with a smile.

"I dwell on older magic forms. They require different herbs than the newer tonics do," I said, keeping my voice simple and steady. The High Lady smiled.

"Fascinating. I did not know there were older magic ways when it came to making tonics," the High Lady said with such calmness. She must've really not known much about our world if she bought the lie that slipped so easily from my lips. I gave a slight nod before making to leave. She stepped aside to let me. I walked quickly, feeling her and her sister's eyes stare at my back.