EIGHT

As night fell, I lay down on the bed in Azriel's room. No one had come by after Mor had left. Azriel was in the bathroom and I climbed under the covers on the side of the bed that wasn't his. He slept on the right, I could tell. His scent was strongest on that side of the bed. I lay down on the bed and waited for him to appear from the bathroom.

A door opened and closed from the right side of the room. I looked over and saw Azriel walking towards the bed in a pair of long trousers. My eyes wandered over his body before meeting his eyes again. There was a smile on his face. "Like what you see?" he asked as he got into bed. I blushed and turned away from him. The bed dipped beside me. He placed a finger on my back and dragged it down over the shirt I was wearing. I shivered and tensed at his touch but he didn't remove his finger. He started drawing circles on my back. "I'm not going to hurt you, you can trust me," he said, stil tracing circles on my back. I got drowsier the longer he continued.

"What're you doing?" I asked, slurring some of my words.

"It's supposed to help someone sleep. Seems its working?" he replied, with a smile in his voice. I gave a hmm sound of approval before I fell asleep.

The morning sun rose and the rays hit my face. I slowly opened my eyes and turned over to see Azriel sound asleep on his stomach next to me. I lay down on my hand and watched him. His breathing was still steady. His back rose and fell with every breath. His wings drooped along his sides and that's when I realised one was also over me. I smiled at him. He was peaceful. I believe I got lucky with him. I lifted a hand and traced his cheek. His eyes fluttered open and gazed up at me. I gave him a small smile and his lips tugged up in response.

"Morning beautiful," Azriel said, slightly slurring his words. I giggled at his state.

"Never had I expected the shadow master of the high lord of the night court to be such a drowsy morning person," I said, pushing a stray strand of his black hair back. He smiled.

"Give me a minute," he mumbled, turning his head to face the other way and shifting his body slightly. I smiled. He slowly sat up, dragging his wing across me. It sent a shiver through my body. He peered over his shoulder and smirked at me before falling backwards onto me. I laughed as his head hit my thighs. I sat up and looked down at him with a smile.

"Still not the state you were in when we first met," I said, still smiling at him.

"I'm only a mean menacing shadow when I need to be," he said, placing his hands beneath his head and closing his eyes.

"Does the high lord know of this?"

"He knows many things but not the things I don't need him to know," Azriel said with a smile on his face. I smiled at him.

"Cheeky," I said while dragging a few fingers through his hair. He hummed his approval and I repeated the action. I snuck my other hand down to his wing and lightly traced a finger down the bone of this wing. He visibly shivered and his eyes darted up to mine with warning.

"That's not a very good idea," he said, his hazel eyes captivating mine.

"Hmm," was all I replied as I stared at his eyes. A knock at the door pulled me out of my trance. Azriel sat up and walked towards the door. He slightly opened it to look outside.

"Morning Az, she up?"

"Yup," he replied. I assumed the high lord was standing outside the door.

"Breakfast is in 30 minutes-" he said before going down to a whisper. I couldn't hear the last part. It seemed to be shocking because Azriel's eyes widened before nodding and bidding the high lord farewell before closing the door. He turned to me and smiled before rubbing his eyes sleepily. I pushed the blanket off me and stood up.