Chapter 45 | Vanguard

Hey Guys,

I hope this Chapter finds you all safe and well.

Small disclaimer/trigger, there a panic attack depicted in this Chapter as well as mentions of paternal abuse. Obviously this is nothing new for the series, but I have been making an effort to be more aware of how the things that I write about may effect/relate to others - especially since some of my writing is inspired from personal experience, so I am personally aware of the memories embedded in some scenes.

Even so. With the current state of the world, it is important, now more than ever, to acknowledge mental health as a real issue. If you or someone you know is struggling, please reach out for help. You're not alone.

With that being said, I hope you enjoy the Chapter. Both perspectives were a little tricky to write as I felt like, for Circe, it was a small relapse in her character development, and for Obsidian, his feelings put him a little out of character to his usual. Either way, I look forward to hearing your thoughts,

As we say in New Zealand,
Kia kaha (Stay strong)
Love Daisy

_______________________________

Chapter 45 | Vanguard

*

"And if love be
m a d n e s s ,
may I never find
s a n i t y
again."

  - John Mark Green

*

CIRCE

Circe sighed, rubbing a tired hand across her eyes as she attempted to focus on the words in front of her. The candlelight opposite flickered and wavered, distorting the words further. She smoothed the pages of the book out softly, attempting to read the paragraph again.
Five minutes later she still had not reached the end of the page and heaving another sigh, she gave in, leaning over to blow out the candle with one short puff of breath.
The dim light was extinguished immediately, plunging her into a darkness that softened slowly with the ticking hand of the clock. She lay on her back with her eyes wide open before resignedly pushing the covers back so that she could emerge from her bed.

It had been a week since Obsidian had left, and although she had begrudgingly accepted there was nothing, she could do about it for the time being, that didn't make the separation any easier. She would be lying to herself if she said she wasn't furious at his choice, even as she understood why he had chosen to go alone.

Well not exactly alone.

The news that Zalas was missing too had come as a shock to everyone, not just her. The thought of the unlikely duo purposefully accompanying each other anywhere was difficult to believe. In fact, Circe still didn't believe it. Zalas must have blackmailed him somehow, she was sure.

It serves him right, had been the first thought through her head when she had discovered their departure. She had then spent the entire day venomously hoping that Zalas irritated Obsidian so much that he would just turn around and come back. But when the initial first day had blended into two, and then three, she realised that he was resolute. He would not be returning. Not until he had achieved what he had set out to do.

We were supposed to do this together, she had thought that night as she took some time to be alone with her thoughts. I promised you this time that you wouldn't be alone.

And now, a week later, it was still this thought that bothered her most. Because she had promised him. She had.

The wooden floorboards were cold beneath her bare feet as she padded lightly down the dark hall, her fingers skimming over the stained glass of the mermaid door once before pushing it ajar.
She slipped through the small gap silently, breathing herself into the room beyond.