Chapter 23 | Moments in Time

A Pirate's Kiss | Prompt Chapters

These are some 'prompt word' chapters that I have been working on for you guys. Writing stuff like this helps me to get through writers block – all of these chapters are written from a 3rd person POV and are loosely related to the main plot line. You can think of them as 'fillers' if you like :* They will all eventually lead back to the main story!
I hope you enjoy,
Love Daisy xx

______________________________________________________

1. Paper Planes

Obsidian's eye twitched.

He was snoozing on the deck of the ship, his arms folded across his chest, a small frown settled on his face. Their giggling reached his ears again and the frown deepened in annoyance.

What was his brother up to?

One golden eye opened slightly as he peered in their direction. Cobalt was gathered with the girls on the deck, not five meters away from where he sat. Lacy and Circe were clustered in a small circle around him and seemed to be busy with something. As to what that something was, Obsidian couldn't quite see and his lip curled with mild irritation.

Circe laughed again, shook her head and took something from Lacy's hands. The younger girl uttered a retort and pouted at Cobalt, her reaction causing his broad grin to stretch wider. Obsidian thought that he could hear the rustling of paper.

He closed his eyes again and tried to let sleep take him. His injuries were still not fully healed from his recent battle and although he would never admit it, he was constantly finding himself short of breath. Circe had ventured out of his arms earlier than usual that morning and although she had tried to persuade him to rest inside, he had doggedly followed her out onto the main deck, preferring instead, to have her within an arm's reach.

The ships had begun to move again, the restocking at Port Savannah complete. Saying goodbye to Jack had been hard for everyone, there had even been an invitation to join them, but he had stoutly declared himself too old to go on such voyages. "Tempting an old man out of retirement never ended well for anyone," he had said.
And so they had said their farewells and set out to the open ocean.

Cobalt had asked him what their heading was to which Obsidian had replied rather abruptly that he didn't give a shit, and why was Cobalt asking when it was he who was Captain?

Good natured as always, Cobalt had announced to the crew that they were going on an adventure and after much consultation with Nathaniel and Hobbson, the three had decided on a heading. Curiosity rising as to how they had chosen a destination, Obsidian been unable to resist asking about their process, only to be told by his idiotic brother that he had closed his eyes and pointed to a random place on the map.

The explanation had earned him a cuff across the head, a gesture that had been protested with much enthusiasm. Obsidian had been deaf to his complaining however and had hosted himself up into the rigging, muttering insults under his breath as he climbed and cursing himself for asking and expecting an intelligent answer.

And now they were sailing to god knows where, although Obsidian had come to the conclusion that actually, the destination didn't really matter. After all, what else was there to do?
He wasn't used to the absence of urgency; this was what was making him skittish. The idea of just going somewhere because they felt like it was a foreign notion to him. He was used to hunting people down, visiting a town as a means to an end, evading pursuers or silencing those that were a little too persistent.