59. The night before last

Start from the beginning

Dammit. I should've known she'd grow desperate enough to pull something like this.

"Lately my sister's level of interest in my life defies imagination." I say. "But it's nothing to worry yourself over."

He looks unconvinced. "I can feel your emotions through the bond. I know something's been on your your mind all week." A pause. "She believes you're upto something stupid."

I arch an eyebrow. "What do you think?"

He looks at me flatly. "Sweetheart, knowing you, I can guarantee you are."

I sigh. "I know what I'm doing. Just trust me this once."

Silence.

Crickets chirp awkwardly in the background.

Aden's mouth is pressed into a grim line. Jaw hard, shoulders stiff, the vessel in his temple is ticking like a time bomb—all the signs before a classic Aden explosion.

I watch him warily. "Say something."

He heaves out a long breath. "You're right. I'm worried. I'm fucking terrified."

"But Taylor was right." He goes on, "You're your own person. You make your own choices. I'm not going to force you into telling me before you're ready."

I gape at him in shock. Of all the things I expected him to say, this didn't even make the cut.

It must be killing him because these are the words of the guy who threw a tantrum when I said I'd climb a tree, two months ago.

"Kiara, I know I get possessive about you all the time, but it's only because you are the best thing that ever happened to me." The intensity with which he's looking at me sends warmth flooding through my whole body. "I trust you when you say you have a plan. But think of me before you do something reckless. Because without you by my side, my life has no meaning."

I swallow hard. "That's it? Here I was thinking, you were going to swoop in as my knight in shining armour and save the day."

His lips twitch upward. "That goes without saying."

He leans in and rests his forehead against mine. Smiles a tentative smile.

"I'm not foolish enough to believe there's a happy ending in war. If death is what lies ahead as the prophesy states," His voice sinks into a broken whisper. "I will find you, Kiara. And we will go together."

Tears burn my eyes as I cup his face in my hands and pull him down for a kiss.

"That's where you're wrong, Aden. I will get us that happy ending." I promise us when we separate. "Even if I have to go to hell and back for it."

⬛️⬛️⬛️

Ariana and Ashton are already present by the time we reach the main gate. Elena stands beside them while he goes over the masterplan with Chief Jared. Bella and her husband, Beta Dylan are close—their eyes cold and hardened with resolve

"My mother will aid in the evacuation of all women and children." Ashton is directing the old veteran. "And Ariana will stand guard at the entrance while it is sealed from inside."