45. The Grandmaster's game

K I A R A

THE SECOND HALF of the meeting is a sombre event.

Stella is brought in. Most of the veteran guards are dismissed with the exception of Melissa. Her eyes linger on the last of the retreating line of warriors, her lips tightening into a frown. The twins, Max and Nick, stay behind too, positioned at two corners of the room much to the displeasure of Jared. The Chief Warrior is bright red in indignation as two of his favourite students walk past him out of the room with just a flick of my wrist.

I shoot him a cold smile as he grinds his teeth in silence.

"Luna." He tips his head in submission, even as his mouth curls into a sneer. His eyes flicker towards Stella who sits next to Ariana, arms folded across her chest in resignation, before shifting back to me, "I see you've called the traitor in."

A growl erupts as Stella jumps from her seat, teeth bared. "Say that to my face, you snivelling piece of–"

"Sit down." My sister snarls. "You speak only when you're spoken to."

Stella's jaw clenches as she regards us, her grey eyes glinting. For a moment, she almost doesn't listen, glaring at Jared as though she might rip his head off, but then slinks into her seat again, spitting in contempt.

"She's of use to us." My answer is curt. "For now, that's all you need to know."

Stella's eyes snap toward me, but my gaze stays on Jared as I watch his reaction. The slight quiver of his moustache betrays him as he struggles to retain his haughty composure.

He's rattled. Good.

I feel a slight nudge through the mindlink as Ashton takes over. Unbridled power radiates off of him when he stands up and faces us, unfazed. Calm. He doesn't glance at me, but his stiff shoulders and tense posture indicates that everything I had instructed him is seared well into his memory.

It is time.

My own words come back to me and a shiver goes down my spine as I sit straighter in anticipation. The ancient map underneath my fingertips seems to burn through my skin as I wait for my cue.

"What we are about to discuss will remain in the confines of this room." Ashton's voice reverberates through the deathly silence cast across the room. "Our plan is divided into three parts. Each one of you has a specific role to play. Listen to yours, get up, get out. Play your part perfectly, we survive. Make one mistake, this pack perishes with you."

The temperature of the room drops.

"Part One : We train. Harder than ever. The Opticus we had retrieved from the castle has been approved by the Guardians for virtual battle combat. The were taken apart piece by piece, studied and replicated. Jared, you will see to it that each and every warrior under your charge trains using them. The Opticus will provide stimulus that mimics actual scenes with the hybrids. Our time is limited, so make each session count. It is crucial to know what exactly we are up against."

"Meanwhile, the Neo-F grenade we obtained from Greyhound's artillery will remain in the custody of Remulus Custos. We are dabbling with dark magic here and there is no way I'm allowing my pack anywhere near until it is completely tested and approved."

"Everyone trains." He continues. "There will be no exception. Females, children over the age of ten everyone will learn how to defend themselves, not just our warriors and cadets. I don't want a single member of my pack to feel helpless in a fight. Melissa, you will be in charge of training them and at the end of each day you will report to your Luna."