38. Cut a deal with the devil

^^ aesthetic by @rainegreene ⬛️⬛️⬛️

⬛️⬛️⬛️

"Don't trust everything you see.
Even salt looks like sugar."

⬛️⬛️⬛️

MY LEGS ARE on the verge of falling asleep when I'm finally allowed in.

I intake a sharp breath as I step into the room. It's unfathomably grand. Sunrays reflect off the coloured glass casting a hundred different hues on the marbled floor. The stone walls are rimmed with white and the roof is replica of the blue sky. In the middle, stands a fountain brimming with gold liquid. It springs, bubbles, sizzles and then fizzles out as it falls - all in a matter of seconds.

My eyes rest on the huge oak door that stands at the end of the hall, guarded by a man in red uniform. His expression doesn't change the slightest when we approach.

To my surprise, Dipshit One and Two hand me over and take leave without a word. I'm left standing in a giant room, alone, trying not to look like a fool.

"This way." The guard monotones. "The Master will see you now."

I'm ushered into another room, a slightly smaller version of the first. A chandelier hangs overhead - red and blue and white glass mirroring the daylight. In the centre there's a furnished mahogany table littered with files and paper. The chair is turned away from me, but I catch a whiff off his scent before he swivels around and I come face to face with the devil. Again.

My hackles rise.

He stands.

My blood boils.

He smiles.

I smile back. "Hello, Grey."

He doesn't reply; his shrewd eyes travel from top to bottom, x-raying every inch of me. Finally, after a long minute, he takes a drag from his pipe, seemingly satisfied. "Carter. Long time no see." He remarks, strolling towards me casually.

"Not long enough," I reply, still smiling.

Amusement flashes in those evil, electric blue eyes as he stares me down. "Are you sure? It's been two weeks already. Didn't you miss me? Even, a little bit?"

"Hardly," I retort. "Your disgusting, dungeon-rodents kept me such good company."

"Sarcasm." He gasps in fake horror. "Are you angry, Carter? I can't imagine why. Prison certainly looks good on you. Those cheekbones, man." He whistles, fanning himself with his hand. "You've gotten a lot hotter since the last time I saw you!"