51. Betray with a kiss

Meminerunt Omnia Amantes.

Lovers remember all.

⬛️⬛️⬛️

G R E Y H O U N D

I AM BONDED to each of my hybrid wolves by blood.

Their blood allows me access into their minds, their thoughts and deeds. I see what they see, hear what they hear and sometimes allow them speak on my behalf.

Sometimes, I cross boundaries. I invade the minds linked to mine, and force them to submit to my will. The weak ones are easy to break, but the resilient ones require more effort.

Once they are broken and completely out of their senses, I snap their threads and leave them to die.

So far, that has happened only twice.

The first, a werewolf hunter I met three centuries ago. I drove him crazy until he snapped and tore off his clothes and burnt down a whole village.

Alpha Carter, would be my second victim. But fortunately for him, I still have use of him.

So, he lives.

For now.

But most days, I don't bother sorting through the minds of my subjects. It is too time-consuming. I let them enjoy the privacy of their thoughts, until I deem it necessary to interfere.

Which is why, when an hour later I feel a sudden tug in my chest, I am intrigued. I find myself being pulled  into the mind of an ordinary wolf.

One moment, I'm sitting at my desk.

The next, I'm elsewhere...

⬛️⬛️⬛️

I blink.

My view transforms.

Suddenly, I'm not looking through my own eyes anymore. I'm looking through a pair of dark brown eyes, through the bars.

My feet and hands are chained. My body is matted with blood and dirt.

"Master."

Its the feeble voice of the hybrid rogue whose senses I've taken over. His wolf cowers in my presence.

"Why am I here?" I demand.

This looks familiar.

"Dungeon of the Blood Hounds." The rogue wolf replies. "I've been captive here for two weeks."

The rogue who was sent to fetch Stella. He's still alive then.

"Yes, master. I'm sorry I failed you."

The last time, I had taken Claire Connor's body, just before the hot blooded Alpha Carter delivered the killing blow.

Back then, I had been a silent spectator.

This time though, this rogue has relinquished me total  control. I wonder why.

"Because she is here." His voice trembles. In my peripheral vision, I glimpse a silhouette moving closer. "Your—Your mate, Master. She says she wants to speak to you."