37. Come home for christmas

A D E N

A D E N

THE FIRST HINT of dawn sifts through the iron barred window. On a usual day, this would seem pleasant and refreshing, but today for some reason it seemed different. Ominous.

The chamber is dark. Cold. Medieval.

Rats scrape the floor in search of food. Termites eat through the decayed wood. The stone floor stinks of urine and vomit.

Fuck. I tug at the chains binding my hands and feet. Blood drips steadily from the deep cuts carved into my skin. Fuck my life.

I glance at my surroundings. There's an untouched bowl of something disgustingly green a foot away. I retch when the stench wafts up my nose. It smells like rotten fish. Forget it, there's no way something as vile is going down my throat voluntarily.

Is this where Arie lived for so many years? I can't help but wonder. I have newfound respect for her. This smells like death and decay.

A pair of sturdy footsteps cut through the silence. Someone's coming. I stiffen, preparing to act comatose again and avoid confrontation.

But he stops at my cell door. I wait for the creak for the metal, the door to open, but that never happens. No one enters.

My eyes open a fraction to see this man. But to my surprise, there are two. One – long dirty blond – stands with his back facing me, while the other – dark haired and hawk-nosed – faces me at an angle. A dagger hangs by their sides, the blade sharp and curved like a sawtooth. Their voices are nearly inaudible except for the few words I manage to pick up.

"Yes, tell the master." The man's lips move as he speaks with a Slavic accent. "He is still unconscious."

"Impatient... Hurry." Dirty blond mutters. "No time to waste... Kill."

A shiver runs down my spine at the last word.

"Tonight is the night, Stefan. Do not disappoint."

"Rest assured. Tell the master, it's as good as done."

Blondie makes an angry sound in his throat. "Don't underestimate him. You already let the girl go and got us all in trouble."

"That bitch." He hisses venomously. "She's toast when I catch her again."

Blondie snorts derisively. "Again? Who got her lost her in the first place, dipshit?"

"Won't happen again, Dimitri." Dipshit says gruffly.

Dimitri nods curtly. "Better not." His voice is ice. "This one's an Alpha. I'll be damned if he doesn't put up a hell of a fight. He's feisty."

Dipshit's (Stefanwasit?) eyes glisten maliciously, black as kohl. "Good. I'm counting on it."

They walk away.