70.

E R I C A

He held my hand as if his life depended on it. It was clear he is troubled but while others crumple, he would assume a stoic face, his lips pressed in a thin line.

"We shall remember and pray that Evelyn Ashton, daughter of Mr. James and Mrs. Jessica Ashton, may rest in peace and watch over her family and to all those loved ones, who are present here.

Now I shall request you all to pray here in the church premises and then head over to her grave and pay respect. Much love to the beautiful soul."

Everyone one by one, lighted the candles before her portrait. While some leave for the graveyard, some stay back in the church.
Since it was a service, everyone was dressed in white. Jessica was continuously in tears, while James looked as if barely alive. David was with them.

Nonna, on the other hand, was worried for her family as well as grieving herself. She requested me to stay with Eric all the time. And what I witnessed in the morning, I wouldn't dare to do anything else.

His silent figure, hunched over his arms that were kept on his knees. One of his hand was still interwened with mine, and we were sitting in a very quiet church. He was staring at the ground.

I had bought this Lilly bouquet in the morning that was resting on my other side, and slowly the church was devoid of any human, but he was still sitting. And I didn't want to disturb him, so I just sat with him.

Minutes later, David came inside, and whispered in my ear, "We are leaving for home Erica...are you coming?"

I looked beside me, and so did him.
"I don't know. Let him take his time."

"Okay...then I am leaving a car. Stephan will wait outside. He may want to stay alone, so you take him to your apartment and come back in the morning tomorrow. I am anyway taking Nonna to James place for the night.", Something flickered in his eyes as he said this, but I dismissed whatever it was.

Nodding, I waved him bye.

His silence was killing me and so I decided to break his thoughts gently.

I neared him more and kept my other hand on his torso, "Please talk to me Eric!"

His eyes wavered a little until they settled on me. They were no more red or puffy. Today in the morning it took me alot to calm him down. Though he never showed me his tears, I felt them wetting my dress when he snuggled his face over my stomach.

Eve owns a huge part of him. And it is hard not to see how much he loves her.

"It still hurts!", Were his first words today.

"That's fine. You can feel her in the form of that pain Eric. But she wouldn't want you to see this vulnerable. She adored you for your strength."

He looked at me and smiled sadly, "You know what to say when."

"I do!", I stood up, "Now C'mon introduce me to the one who knew how to keep your ass in check!"

"We are in a church. Don't cuss.", He said weakly as he stood up.

I shook my head, "You have rubbed badly on me."

Through the backdoor, we walked to the graveyard, where hundreds of graves were placed. But near one section, there was a small grave with a bundle of fresh flowers on it. It was clear that was the one.

'EVELYN ASHTON 1997-2008'
Her Earth like eyes, and her heaven like soul rest here.'
'A sister, daughter, granddaughter.'

I have been the very proof of how poised and neat he always is, especially when he's wearing his suits. But now when he sits on the grave, uncaring of the soil spoiling his shining shoes, my eyes sting.