Chapter 21 - Relentless

Chapter 21

Josephine

"You dodged a bullet ?" He chuckles humourlessly.

"I'm not the cheater here, Josephine." He says.

It takes me a moment to register exactly what he just said but the smug look on his face confirms it for me.

"You son of a bitch." I spit hurling my small bag across the room at him, he manages to dodge it but the strap whips his neck as it flies past him through the door.

"What the fuck." He curses touching the spot in his neck which is now turning a bright shade of red.

"Get out." I say.

He glares at me. "What ? All of a sudden you can't handle the truth ?" He says in his thick accent as he stalks towards me slowly.

"Fuck you, Hero." I retort.

He stops short and just looks at me. The tension in the room is incredibly thick. It literally feels like we're having a stand off at this point. Hero clenches his jaw then scratches his eyebrows shifting his weight from one leg to the other.

"Look, I'm sorry okay. I shouldn't have said that but can we just talk and not scream at each other like crazy people?" He asks a hint of frustration lacing his voice.

A part of me wants to agree I hate how this feels fighting with him but I've been down this road before with Patrick and what's pissing me off is Hero knows this. He knows how much his dirty comments and calling me a cheater would hurt and he still did it simply out of spite. And even though I know it's the wrong thing to do all I want to do is hurt Hero as much as he hurt me in this moment.

"So what you're not talking to me now ? Real mature Josephine.". He scoffs. "Seriously. Did you give Patrick this much shit ? You let him walk all over you and he was your actual boyfriend. How in the hell is this fair when I haven't done shit." He says taking another step towards me pointing to his temple as he talks.

Is he kidding me right now.

"You lied Hero !" I shout in his face betraying my calm facade. "What do you mean you haven't done shit. You blatantly lied to my face.." I close my mouth as I take a deep breath trying to calm myself before I continue speaking.

"I thought you were different and you're just like him. You made me look like a fool. I was draped all over you thinking there was actually nothing going on when she and her friends were laughing at me behind my back Hero. Because of you ! How do you expect me to trust you when you lied to me and you didn't even have to."

The look on Heros face looks like he's in physical pain but I force myself to ignore it.

I shake my head dismissing my thoughts. As I stare at a blurry hero. It's only now I notice my eyes are filled with tears that haven't brimmed over as yet.

He takes a step towards me as my tears start to fall. I reach my hand up stopping him.

"Don't." I say and he stops mid motion.

"Jo.."

"Don't Jo me. How many times have I talked to you about lying ?" Instead of letting him respond I answer for myself as I furiously wipe my tears away. "It's not your fault." He almost looks relieved at this but his face falls as I deliver my next statement. "It's mine, I knew better than to get involved with someone like you."

I shrug unemotionally. "It doesn't even matter anymore.. I'm not going to say it again. Get. Out. Hero."

He clenches his jaw. "So what then ? You're done.. again?" He runs his hand through his hair and when Hero's eyes land on me I recognize the dull green color from his sleepless nights staring back at me completely devoid of all emotion.