Chapter 12 - Coward

Chapter 12

Hero

I left.

I asked her to stay and then I fucking left.

I tug at the roots of my hair as I go over the events of last night and this morning in my head.

I asked Jo to stay with me, I basically told her I had feelings for her by saying I was jealous and then I woke up with her in my arms and panicked. I had two options and instead of staying and admitting to her and myself that I actually have feelings for her I grabbed my shit and left my own condo like the coward I am.

I mean I've made some dumb decisions throughout my life but this had to be in the top two especially since I can't avoid her at all she's living with me for fucks sake but I can prolong having to deal with the results from last night.

Which explains why I'm currently strolling through the park at 8am in my clothes from last night. I groan in frustration flicking what is now my second cigarette onto the grass crushing it beneath my foot. I should've just stayed in bed and dealt with whatever would've happened but instead I freaked out like a little bitch because I realized I might actually like Jo. I'm suppose to be a grown man, I'm the face of a luxury brand for crying out loud women having been throwing themselves at me nearly all my life and the one thing that stumps me is 5'4 Australian little minx that I can seem to shake from my thoughts.

I continue walking until I reach a nearby bench taking a seat. Groaning as I stretch my limbs, I'm exhausted I'd usually still be asleep right now. The only reason I'm actually awake is because I had to take a piss, I'd still be a asleep with her if I hadn't. I sigh as my mind drifts back over to Jo, she's probably awake by now she's usually up early. I can't help but wonder if she was disappointed that I wasn't there. I think about how she looked sprawled across my bed as I snuck out this morning. I palm my face rubbing up and down.

After people watching a few early morning joggers and people walking their dogs I find myself scrolling through my contacts on my phone as my finger lingers over Mercy's name before deciding to give her a call.

She answers after the second right.

"Hero ?" She greets "It's pretty early, what's up ? "

"Can I come over ?" I ask squinting as the sun is starting to peak through the trees.

"Uh Sure." She answers her voice waivering at the sound of mine. "Are you ok ?"

"Yea, I just wanna talk." I say.

"Alright. Just ring me when you're close. Ok ?"

"Ok. See you soon." I say hanging up.

I immediately head to the parks exit booking an Uber to Mercy's apartment at the same time.

The ride to Mercy's doesn't take very long. It probably helps that nearly everyone is working from home.

Once I've made it she buzzes me in, when I reach her floor she's already standing in the hallway waiting for me in her pajamas.

When I'm inside her apartment I slowly look around noticing the changes since I last was here with Felix helping her to move in initially. I turn around stuffing my hands in my pockets standing in the middle of her living room. "Where's your roommate ?"

She closes the door behind her walking towards me. "She actually went back home to her parents yesterday. I called Jo to tell her last night but she never answered."  She puts her hands on her hips. "I'm guessing she was at Morgan's party that I wasn't invited too."