Chapter 20 - Badass

Chapter 20

Josephine

"That's her. That's psycho." Mercy says poking my side as if I can't see the girl that's draped across Hero's lap. To say I feel gutted seeing her across his lap is an understatement but I refuse to let him or her see me vulnerable. I'm done being that girl.

I feel Mercy tug on my arm. "Come on Jo let's just go it's not worth it."

Mercy's right and she knows her brother better than I do but right now even though this may sound pretty twisted I'm riled up. I'm not sure if this is because of the alcohol from earlier still coursing through my veins or pure adrenaline from the sight before me. Either way I'm a lot more confident than I usually am because before I even think about it my feet are guiding me over to Hero.

"Oh God." I hear Mercy mumble following behind me.

As I approach them Morgan takes a couple steps back getting out of my way and at the same time I see Hero bouncing his leg trying to get her off his lap his eyes still locked onto me almost pleading. If the situation were any different he'd be fairly cute. When I reach Hero the girls back is still to me And I can see she looks confused I'm guessing from Hero's movements. Ignoring Hero's gaze I tap her shoulder a couple times "Excuse me, you're in my seat."

She turns to me confused. "Pardon ?"

"You're in my seat." I say slowly as if I'm speaking to a child.

She looks at Hero then stands and turns to me looking me up and down, I should be intimidated since she has a couple inches on me but instead I decide to piss her off just a tad bit more. I take a step to her and just like I thought she instinctively steps back giving me the space I need to comfortably sit on Hero's lap and cross my legs.

Yea bitch. He's mine.

I keep my eyes on her and I can see Hero in my peripheral just staring between the both of us his lips slightly parted.

"Who the hell are you ?" She asks her face turning red in anger.

Mercy steps forward. "Just save yourself the embarrassment again and get lost."

She glares at Mercy but I'm assuming she recognizes her as Hero's sister from their last encounter and decides against arguing any further. She glares at me one last time then smirks which freaks me out before walking away.

My heart is thumping through my chest, I've never been in a fight before and I'm honestly not sure if I'm capable of even winning one but the adrenaline that was just coursing through my veins is now wearing off as I realize I just did that in front of everyone around us in the makeshift bleachers. My palms are alittle clammy and I can feel the blush creeping up my neck and up my cheeks as I finally look down at Hero who looks completely bewildered.

Only now does Hero lift his hand to hook around my back before speaking he looks at Morgan I assume still trying to process what just happened.

"Um" he scratches behind his neck "Are you ok ?"

Before I can respond Mercy breaks the silence "I have a friend that's close by they're gonna pick me up." she says trying to dismiss herself.

I immediately turn towards her looking at her with wide eyes, silently pleading with her to stay. Mercy looks behind me at Hero who I can only imagine carries a similar look on his face.

She stands there with her mouth open then closes it, folding her arms across her chest and shaking her head. "Nope. You guys can't keep putting me in the middle of your shit, it's not fair. Hero you fucked up fix it. Jo you know where I live if you need me." She says walking away in the opposite direction.