Chapter 8 - Hypocrite

Chapter 8

Josephine

Before I even register what I'm doing I hit decline on Patrick's call.

"Shit, shit, shit." I curse remembering you can tell the difference between a declined call and a miss call. I sigh trying to decide whether or not I should call back. I quickly skim through his messages trying to decipher his frame of mind before making my decision.

I'm fully aware that I'm prolonging the inevitable. Patrick and I have been holding on by a thread for a while and we both know it. I keep trying to convince myself otherwise but after I kissed Hero the first time it was pretty much cemented. Not because of Hero specifically but it's the principle, what kind of hypocrite would I be if I condemned Patrick for one thing and did the same exact thing.

I'm not gonna try to down play my feelings for Patrick I love him. I really do. Despite his indiscretions he has always been there for me especially when I needed him the most and that's more than I can say for others.

I sigh.

I know I at least owe him the common decency of answering his calls.

I muster up the courage to return Patrick's call but by some miracle end up getting his voicemail. I exhale in relief and give a small thank you to the universe for the delay.

Deciding not to focus on this too much I push all thoughts of my impending conversation to the back of my mind I'll deal with it when I have to. Which I'm aware will be sooner rather than later.

Speaking of impending conversations I feel like I need to have one with Hero, don't get me wrong I feel like we're both on the same page but after what Mercy said I'd prefer to lay all my cards on the table so there's no confusion between us. But I how exactly do I vocalize 'I like having sex with you Hero, by any chance would you like to continue until I have to leave then I'll go back to my boyfriend in Australia like nothing happened.' perfect Jo I sarcastically remark.

I groan in frustration.

My stomach grumbles loudly. I try to remember the last time I ate and settle on the ice cream sandwich at the park since yesterday. Upon my realization I think about the fact that I have to go downstairs and probably see Hero. Don't get me wrong that's not a problem but if I remember correctly our last post-sex conversation didn't go that well.

Despite my hesitation I need to eat. I decide to head downstairs in search of something. Once I reach the bottom of the stairs I walk in on Hero as he devours one of my rolls from yesterday.

He looks over at me "I was trying to wait for you to decide what to eat but I got hungry." He says as he pauses the music on his phone.

I smile "It's fine. I'm glad you're enjoying them."

I turn and open Hero's fridge to grab some juice. So I'm not just awkwardly standing there trying to formulate my thoughts before speaking. As I rummage through the fridge I think about how comfortable I am here at Hero's, granted I've only been here a little over a week, however since I mentioned how awkward it was the first couple days we haven't had a weird moment since. Until now. Thanks to me and my overthinking.

He breaks the silence "Are you ok ?" He pauses "..You know .. with what happened last night and this morning?" he ask cautiously.

I turn to face him as a pour myself a glass and nod my head "Yea, I'm fine."

He nods to himself slowly. "Are we ok?" He asks as he scratches his eyebrow out of habit.

I smile at the thought of Hero being nervous and I marvel at the fact that it's because of me.
"We're good Hero. Everything is fine. I promise."