Chapter 13 - Now or Never

Chapter 13

Josephine

It's been four days since Hero and I decided to stop our arrangement. I'm not sure what I expected to happen exactly after our talk but Hero blatantly ignoring me wasn't it. He has managed to make himself extremely scarce in his own condo amidst a pandemic. I feel like an asshole coming to his home and making him uncomfortable to the point that he doesn't even want to be around. He makes certain that he's either gone or getting ready to leave by the time I'm awake and he gets back just in time for curfew. Once he's back he retires directly to his room spending the entire night locked away, sometimes I can hear him late at night playing a game or listening to music in his room since he moved the game console from downstairs. The last time Hero spoke to me was the day after that awkward conversation and that was solely so he could give me a spare key so that I could move around more on my own time. His words not mine. Don't get me wrong it has crossed my mind on more than one occasion to confront him about it, but what will can I really say ? Hey Hero I know we're no longer having sex together but I thought we could at least stay friends ?

On the odd chance I do happen to stumble upon him he has in AirPods and barely makes any eye contact hardly even acknowledging my presence. Being someone that keeps to myself majority of the time I never thought someone ignoring me would make me feel like shit but Hero has managed to get it done. I understand I do but I can't help but be pissed at Hero for making me feel this way after promising he wouldn't make it awkward anymore, I mean I get it he normally doesn't live with his hookups afterwards having to see them everyday but I really thought we had become friends.

I do however have to admit that one good thing has come from this situation. Over the last couple of days Patrick and I have been talking a lot more and it has been nice speaking to Patrick like old times but I finally realized that's exactly what it was old times.

I know this makes me a horrible person and I've tried not too but I can't help but compare Patrick to Hero every chance I get. I've taken note of how different they are Hero sits and listens to everything have to say before saying his piece, Patrick on the other hand interrupts me all the time assuming he knows what I'm gonna say and 90% of the time he's wrong. Hero always laughs at my laugh while Patrick would usually tell me I'm laughing too loud. I have sat talking with Hero for hours upon hours about everything under the sun, including why I believe mermaids exist and I've never felt judgement from him. It's just so much easier to talk to Hero than it is to talk to my boyfriend and clearly there's something wrong with that picture.

This past few days showed me that I don't miss Patrick as much as I thought I did, I miss Australia on a whole which includes Patrick  but I miss Hero more.

The ironic thing is it didn't take Patrick's actions to finally push me away it took me wanting more for myself and a certain green eyes boy showing me that I deserved more.

It's after I realized I missed Hero more than Patrick that I decided it was time to end things with Patrick so I texted him not too long ago that we needed to talk. I take a quick glance at the time he should be waking up soon and see my message. I could delay this call by pretending to be asleep if he calls since it's pretty late here in London I'm not trying to chicken out but I am not looking forward to ending a four year relationship over the phone.

My phone starts to vibrate in my lap displaying Patrick's name. I sigh. It's now or never.

I slide my finger across the screen answering the video call.

"Hey Babe." He greets me as his face appears on my screen.

"Hey Patrick " I respond with a smile.