53: Wrecked

"Dammit," I muttered to myself. "God fucking dammit."

For some reason, the fire suit still wouldn't slide past my thighs instead of squeezing the shit out of my legs.

So this is just how it's going to be now. Wonderful.

The fire suit was all I had from Annie, and it was the only way we could have a piece of her during the fight against Clockwork. But I ruined it, and for what? A brownie that lasted a minute?

Fucking stupid ass.

Someone knocked at the door to my hotel room. "Katie, we're leaving soon."

Drake.

Maybe that was why he never liked me the way I thought I liked him. Annie's curves were soft and perfect, and I just looked stupid.

"Well, I'm still too fat to wear the fire suit, so I'm sorry. I'm sorry that Annie's contribution is out the goddamn window." I coaxed it back off of me. "I'll be out in a minute."

"Katie, come on. No one thinks you're fat," Drake said.

"I mean, I've got a fucking sex god for a boyfriend, and I've gained six bazillion pounds in a few months. I sure as hell ain't the same hot chick he met four years ago," I said.

Griffin never looked like a movie star or anything since he was actually built for strength and endurance and not just looks, but he knew he looked good, and so did everyone else.

A heat spread throughout my body. Not now, you stupid fuck. Jesus.

I grabbed a shirt and put it on, but taking it off with Griffin would have fixed me right up.

He always knew what I needed.

"You're not the same person you were four years ago. Who the hell cares? He clearly doesn't," Drake said.

"People say they'd like to have a drink with Griffin but want to buy one for me. And what's gonna happen when the looks go?" I asked.

"You'll still be you. There's no reason at all for you to be insecure. You're Katie Moore. You're smart, funny, and you're a good friend and team player."

I hesitated. "Really?"

"I mean, you're here, aren't you? Even after everything we've been through."

My time with Team Sacrilege was far from the worst I had known, but it wasn't the best time of my life by any stretch. The only positives to come out of it were Annie, Drake, and getting away from Truscott.

"This is pathetic. Would you quit whining and get your ass out here?" Josiah said.

I covered my mouth as my cheeks flushed. He was out there with Drake?

"Do you have any idea how much I've been holding inside for so long, Josiah? I put up with so much more than I should," I shouted.

"That was you holding shit in? I'm gonna call bullshit on that one."

Drake took in a breath so loud that I heard it through the door. "Take your time, Katie, but we need to be there, like, ten minutes ago."

I rushed to get dressed the rest of the way, and the three of us headed down the hallway to meet up at the arena before our fight.

"Who would have thought the arrogant asshole hates herself?" Josiah let out a laugh. "I did. I knew it."

I kept my head forward and stepped into the elevator. "What are you trying to do here? Get in my head so I fuck up the whole fight for us? Seems counterproductive, don't you think?"