42: Awaken

"Well, I have something that might cheer you up. I don't remember if I told you about this, but the nerds had an old, beat-up Corvette that I bought. Annie got it all fixed up for me, and it's sitting outside right now," I said.

Griffin's eyes widened. "Can I see it?"

I smiled. I knew that would get his mind off his odds at Talladega.

We headed back down the stairs, but no one was where we left them in the living room. Every chair was empty, and a few red Solo cups were left littered on the table.

Classy.

"Did they all leave?" I asked.

Griffin laughed. "I guess they thought my get-together sucked too and saw their chance to escape. See, this is why I need you. You're a lot more fun than anything I can set up."

It was that same reputation that so many people tried to blame for me getting fired, but what was life without a little pleasure? Even the regretful next day felt better than getting used until nothing was left in the tank.

I didn't even think that we had spent much time upstairs, but all the cars in the driveway were gone except for mine. As soon as Griffin caught a glimpse in the moonlight, he stopped in his tracks.

I looked over at him. "It looks even better in the sun. The red paint's real hot."

"Oh my god. Can I drive it?" he asked.

"Do you honestly believe that I would let you drive this? I've poured way too much money into it for you to wreck it," I said, but the keys slipped out of my hand and into his anyway. "Wherever you want to go."

"You hungry?"

I shook my head. "Kind of, but I could probably afford to skip a few meals. I can't fit into the fire suit Annie made for me a few months ago, so that pretty much sums up how my life is going right now."

He rose his eyebrows. "Who cares, Kate?"

"I do."

"Get in the car. If you're not hungry, then you're not hungry, but you sure as fuck aren't gonna stop eating because you're afraid of gaining weight."

Racing took a ton of training and discipline, and everyone in the garage knew that Griffin Gallagher took that shit to the extreme. It sure as hell was no secret it paid off with results on the track and results in bed.

I never really got the chance to meet any of the girls in his life since they were gone within a week, but they knew what they were getting with him.

But at his get-together, the only woman there was Elizabeth, and as long as he wasn't lying to me, she was off-limits. How unlike him.

Although I had spent all day in that car, the magic still hadn't worn off yet, and I got in with Griffin to go wherever the hell he chose. And it didn't even matter to me. It was nice to be back, and even though I had a lot to sort out in the near future, that didn't have to be a problem quite yet.

I looked over at him as he started the car up. His hair had gotten longer since the last time I saw him, but I didn't mind. It was cute.

"Dude, this is literally the coolest shit—" He stopped and looked over at me. "You look tired."

"Probably because I am," I said. "I was trying to take a nap before your new puppy interrupted me, remember?"

"She's the best, isn't she?" He smiled. "You know, I don't have to drive this thing right now. You've had a long day, and you should really get some rest. We'll find your key tomorrow."