52: Pretend

As I sat down with him at the table, everything that I had been working for was glued into place. If Moretti didn't like my explanation, I was fucked, and if Drake didn't like what I did for the team, I was also fucked.

I was never any good at making people proud of me or happy to have me around.

"You look good," Drake said.

Good enough to replace Annie? Hell no.

"Thank you. You do too," I said.

Lie. He looked the same as always: cut-up hands from delicate work, teddy bear-like build, tired eyes, beat-down spirit.

The day we met, he seemed so different, so maybe it was my fault. Probably not, but still.

"So what was it that finally made up your mind? I know it wasn't me or Josiah," he asked.

I went back to racing for money for Team Sacrilege, and I was going back to Team Sacrilege for proof that I wasn't as sucky as Truscott made me out to be for racing. It was only fair.

I shrugged. "What else do I have, Drake? I have Griffin, and that's about it."

"You've got money. You'll be fine," he said.

"Money doesn't buy me a job or bring back the rest of the people I care or used to care about. All it does is buy me drinks when I can't get someone else to do it for me," I said.

He hesitated. "Well—"

"You know damn well there's more to life than that. And I'll tell you what, for someone who got pissed at me every single time I indulged in that part of my life, you should keep your mouth shut about it."

"Fine. I won't mention it again."

"I want to be friends again, so I'm gonna need you to stop pointing fingers at me and let us work together again without any judgment. I know you want the best for your team, and that's what I want too." I paused for a moment. "Speaking of which, where's Josiah?"

"He's minimizing all contact with you. He still blames you for what happened with Annie, but at least he's here. I knew he wouldn't be able to stomach missing out on this moment for the team. We've worked too hard to not get our chance."

I bit my lip. Of course, they were the recipients of a good old Katie Moore bailout that kept the team afloat, but who was keeping track?

Instead of reminding him of the All-Star money that made the moment possible, I changed the subject. "And how's Annie?"

He gave me a sad smile. "She told me that she cares about me, but she needs time to herself. And I can't help but feel like time is running out, you know?"

I shook my head. "Not really."

"Look, she wasted six years on that idiot. He's my best friend, but he's a nightmare sometimes—"

I cut him off. "Why? Why do you put up with so much from him?"

The funny thing was that there were plenty of less emotionally abusive things I did that were absolutely intolerable by his standards.

"It's what's best for the team, Katie."

Best for the team? It wasn't best for Annie, who was definitely a part of it.

What would my life be like if I could work like him? If I stuck with what was best for my career, I would be running qualifying laps in the ninety-five car. But no, I had to stick to my guns and fuck Truscott over for every time he tried to take advantage of me.