61. A Fond Farewell

Start from the beginning

"They could live with me and Nugu," suggested Sidra. "I'm sure that woman would never want to visit an orc town."

Éowyn shook her head. "That would be too risky, she would probably claim the orcs had kidnapped her daughter and violated the peace treaty. Wynne, you just have to stand up to her. Demand she leaves you two alone."

"Says the woman who had to dress like a man to be able to do what she wanted," teased Sidra.

"Well I did stand up to my uncle first... he just didn't listen." She shrugged.

"I stood up to my father about my love for Estel," said Arwen proudly. "He was against it too at first."

"Mother won't listen to me. She doesn't even listen to Thranduil."

"Oh."

Nobody said anything for a while. Arwen chewed thoughtfully on her lower lip and Éowyn's forehead was furrowed. Wynne looked at them in wonder; they were really engaging themselves in this. Their kind support warmed her heart.

Cheery broke the silence first, her voice slow and calculating. "Yer mum wants ye to wed a prince, and carry his bairns... But what if he gives up his claim to the crown? Then he is no prince anymore."

"Mother would probably disown me if I married a commoner..."

"There ye go, then." She shrugged.

Everyone stared at the dwarf, slow smiles forming on their faces as realization dawned. Arwen began to laugh, the melodious sound echoing between the stone walls, and soon the others joined in.

"Perfect," hissed Sidra between the paroxysms. "Just perfect."

"Thranduil would forbid it," said Wynne, the only one not laughing.

"Then dinnae tell him first." Cheery smirked under her beard. "The bonny lad can announce it publicly to his people."

"I truly believe this might work." Arwen smiled smugly. "Morwen will want nothing to do with them if they are not royalty. I have met many ambitious people in the city; I know her kind."

Wynne looked at the others, really wanting to believe them though she felt she was probably grasping at straws.

"Alright then," she said at last.

oOo

They kept talking for a long time, honing the plan, trying to foresee what could go wrong and how to counteract it. When Wynne finally left the bathhouse to find Legolas, her fingers were wrinkled and she was clean as a newborn baby. She also felt slightly hopeful for the first time in days.

To her surprise, Legolas was just back from an informal meeting with Aragorn and Gimli, concerning the exact same issue. Moreover, they had come to a similar conclusion as Cheery, and thought up almost the exact same plan.

"Really?"

"Really."

"So you want to do it then? I mean... you would lose everything."

"I never wanted the crown, never wanted to rule. I can only see advantages with this plan."

"I'm not sure it will work..." She sighed.

"Pessimist." He looked around to make sure nobody was nearby, and gave her a quick kiss.

"Overconfident optimist," she countered, returning it.

Then they had to part; Legolas had postponed speaking with his father but now it had to be done. He would tell him that Wynne had stayed because they had another plan and that he would reveal it when they came home.