61. A Fond Farewell

Start from the beginning

Wynne tore her gaze from Cheery to glare at her friend. Did she expect her to talk about such personal things in front of the queen?

"I'll tell you later," she muttered.

"You do look cast down." Arwen's lilting voice was filled with concern.

"Is it about the bonny elf?" asked Cheery.

"What elf?" Arwen's interest clearly was caught. She peered at Wynne and then put out a hand to examine the three braids on her temple. "Legolas did those, did he not?" When Wynne still didn't reply, she smiled dreamily. "Aww, I am so happy for you both. I knew something good had befallen him."

"You did?" Wynne was surprised, she had not noticed Legolas talking much to Arwen.

"Aye. After Estel's coronation and our marriage, he stayed here for several weeks, and during that time he changed. He became sad and brooding and my husband and I worried about him. When he left he promised to return and visit soon, but he never did."

"He didn't visit us either," said Éowyn.

"Or Gimli," Cheery added.

"As soon as I saw him arrive the other day," Arwen continued, "I noticed he seemed more like he was when I first met him. And yesterday Estel hinted there was a lady involved, although he would not say who."

"I'm surprised you hadn't heard the rumors," Wynne muttered. "I thought everybody knew."

"I do not listen to gossip."

"But why are you sad?" Éowyn cut in. "You seemed so happy together in Osgiliath."

"It's just impossible," Wynne mumbled. And then everything poured out of her. Mother's interference, Thranduil's resistance, and most importantly, the complications of human-elf relationships, such as Legolas' wasting away with grief when she died.

"I fail to see why it is a problem that he would pass away when you did," said Arwen. "Surely, all the happy years before your demise would make it worth it?"

"But it sounds so horrible. First his soul would die, and when he is reborn, he will be alone in Aman. It's different for you, Your Majesty; Thranduil told me your family could choose immortality."

"Hm. Aye, it is different," she admitted. "I am no longer immortal; I gave it up when I wed Estel. And hence neither is our son."

"How romantic." Cheery smiled wistfully.

Wynne felt a pang of jealousy. "Legolas doesn't have that choice. He's not related to Eärendil and... Tumor, or what his name was."

"Tuor," Arwen corrected, suddenly looking thoughtful. "He was my father's grandfather. And I wonder..."

"That's right," Éowyn exclaimed. "According to legend the Valar made him immortal. And he was an ordinary human."

"They did, but that might not work a second time, though – and he had performed some truly heroic deeds. Perhaps best not get her hopes up." Arwen turned back to Wynne. "I think you must allow Legolas to make his own decisions. It is his life to give, after all."

"But his father–"

"He would lose Legolas either way. Without you, I think he would go back to being the way he was after the war."

"He says he would sail west," she admitted.

"See! Thranduil will just have to accept this. Though, according to my father, he always was an obstinate fellow." She smiled.

"But her mother will create trouble for them," said Éowyn. "She is infamous for her meddling. I spoke to my brother, because I was so surprised the Rohirrim lords were opposed to the peace treaty, and it turns out Lady Morwen was behind it."