Part 1

"You yourself said it was falling down around you." Jenny instinctively shifted Shonna so that her toddler now sat more comfortably, perched as she was on her mother's hip. Shonna snuggled closer as she played with a lock of her mother's hair, quietly content as she was automatically cuddled in response to the snuggle.

"I know, but..." Regan tried to interject, only to be cut off before she could even get started. She hid her smile. This was just like old times. Jenny had always taken control, or attempted to take control, if and when her sister let her, which was rare. And even though Regan wasn't a sister, the fact that Jenny treated her like a sister was what had Regan listening. Being treated like a member of a family was precious. Very, very, precious. In Regan's mind she was an adopted sister. So here she stood, listening as Jenny did what Jenny thought she did best: Attempt to manage other people's lives!

"And they've got experience! Heaps! They worked their land. Before all the trouble." Jenny explained with what she assumed was her persuasive voice. Jenny wasn't sure whether Regan was simply bidding her time, or whether Regan was even persuaded by Jenny's arguments.

Shonna grabbed a fist full of the lustrous strands of her mother's hair and tugged playfully as her mother appeared not to be paying her any attention and was too busy talking to aunty Reg. Jenny gently removed her daughter's hand and gave her young daughter a speaking look. Shonna looked back innocently, her blue eyes showing that she considered herself above suspicion and beyond censure and reproach, which made Jenny's lips twitch. She knew that look. It was like seeing a miniature version of her husband Thomas. Jenny had given up counting the number of times Thomas had given her the same feigned look of utter innocence. Looked like his daughter was using him as a role model.

"I know, but..." Regan grinned despite herself when Jenny just cut in again! Regan almost chuckled. Now she knew exactly how it would feel to be flattened by a steamroller.

"Plus you have heaps of room! So they wouldn't be underfoot." Jenny moved to take the seat Regan had indicated, and after shifting Shonna to enable her to take a seat, Jenny sat down. Regan figured that meant the conversation was far from over. Shonna was delighted with the new position, she pressed her head to her mother's tummy, as if she was listening to the baby. She'd seen her father do this. Wrap his arms around her mother, press his head against her mother's tummy, smile happily and just stay in that position. All Shonna could hear was gurgling. But still, it felt nice.

"I know, but..." Regan tried once again to interject.

"And, Regan," Jenny said more softly as she settled Shonna to sit on her lap, and stroked the little girl's head with gentle soothing fingers. "they've lost nearly everything."

The sensitivity Regan associated with Jenny could be heard in those words. For another of Jenny's characteristics was her ability to empathise. Regan had always known that Jenny was sensitive. Even when she was busy organising, or trying to organise her sister, or her husband, Jenny was always keenly aware of their needs, wants and wishes. Absently Jenny stroked her daughter's short silky hair as Jenny thought about the family she was describing. They had indeed lost almost everything. Including members of their family. Shonna snuggled closer as if she could sense her mother's sadness and wanted to offer comfort. Jenny instinctively cuddled her daughter closer.

Jenny continued to press her case, as she added more quietly, but still insistent, "Reg it's been tough for them." She sighed wistfully. "What they need is somewhere to start again. Someone willing to give them a fair go." When Lucy was home one weekend she had heard her father talk about the migrant family. He'd suggested Jenny ask Regan to take them on. Lucy knew that Regan was struggling to manage the farm and her day job. From what Jenny had said, the family had farmed in the past, they'd know what to do, how to manage a small farm. So when their father had suggested that Jenny ask Regan about taking them on, it had seemed sensible and feasible.