Wave Fifty Two

Several tides swept in and washed out. To Leira, the wait was agony. She understood the need for caution, but her mind was set. She needed to get away. Their main problem was trying to gather enough Source energy to make it to the Surface. The Scouts’ orbs were stored in a chamber and rationed out via Firth, or the other trainers. Because they weren’t being sent beyond the Nest, Leira and the others weren’t even given wrist-orbs. All the energy and light they needed was inside the chambers they worked in. They needed to think of another way.

It was Nerida who solved it. She flounced into their chambers one evening, her golden hair braided down her back in a long plait. Hundreds of tiny orbs glittered and glowed down the length of it, making her hair look ablaze. Leira felt her eyes widen at the sight. She laughed at the simplicity of the plan – only a Scout would think of it. Tal took longer than the others to catch on. He swam to Nerida and extended an arm toward her, unsure.
(You look…your hair is…wait, doesn’t Firth wear his like that?) he managed to sputter.
Nerida giggled gleefully. She span in a circle, sending light beaming around the room. (Firth did give me the idea, yes.)
(It’s brilliant, Nerdia!) Excitement shone in Hali’s eyes. (The rest of us will gets ours done and then we-)
(Will it be enough?) Leira interrupted. She ignored Hali’s glance of annoyance. Nerida tilted her head, considering Leira’s question.
(One way to find out,) she replied at length.

A pang of guilt hit Leira. She felt it settle in her gut. Her friends were willing to risk their lives just because she wanted to get away. But she couldn’t tell them the truth – not now.
(Oh!) Tal’s exclamation shattered her thoughts. (We get it now! We wear those in our hair, so we have Source energy to get us to the Surface.) He looked proud with himself, until he caught Hali’s eye and realised the others had already guessed Nerida’s plan.
(Will those be enough to light our way though?) he thought stubbornly.
(No,) Nerida replied simply. (But these will!) She pulled four bigger orbs from her braid and swam to her shelf. After rummaging there for a moment, she withdrew four tatty wristpieces that looked like she’d made them herself.
(I made them myself,) she projected, her thought full of pride.
Leira caught Hali’s eye again, and the two shared a chuckle. Luckily, Nerida didn’t hear. Tal looked stunned.
(Nerida, did you steal those?)
Nerida busied herself with attaching the orbs to wristpieces.
(I…acquired them,) she thought quietly. Leira projected her feeling of admiration, but couldn’t help feeling concerned. Would the stolen orbs be enough to sustain them, and light their way? She wished they had something that could guarantee enough energy to last the long journey. An everlasting orb or -

Leira’s thought cut off, as another one suddenly appeared in her mind. The image of Firth’s red orb, his prize for winning the races, shimmered before her. Before she could change her mind, Leira shot from the chambers. The shell curtain rustled behind her, clinking gently.