Wave Forty One

The breaths of her friends gradually became slow and measured as they fell asleep. Carefully, Leira eased herself up and stole a glance over at them. Nerida was smiling, her hand in Tal’s. Her golden hair swept about her, swaying softly in the light current. One of the sea dragons had ventured beyond Leira’s shelf and was gently nibbling at a length of seaweed Tal had fastened around his arm; he swatted at it in his sleep and it reeled away before returning to its meal. Leira chuckled at this before looking at Hali. In sleep, she looked much younger and more vulnerable. Her deep red hair fell over her brow and her pale face was peaceful. Leira contemplated staying with them, going back to sleep and joining them in whatever dream they were having. But the pull of the Source’s power was too strong and she slipped from the bed.

Pausing outside the entrance hole of their chamber, Leira pressed her hand against the wall and listened for sounds of other Mer. Nothing. She began to reach out her mind, but stopped herself as she realised she was still connected to the Herd. Had been for many tides now. It was unlikely, but if anyone was listening out for her thoughts, they could potentially hear them if she remained connected.

Cursing herself for her stupidity, Leira disconnected. A wall of silence hit her. Leira clutched at her chest, a wave of isolation flowing through her. She’d forgotten what it was like to disconnect and be alone. Repressing the urge to reconnect, Leira cast out her mind to check for the presence of any Mer nearby. She felt no one. Relieved her path was clear, Leira navigated her way to the antechamber, then sneaked into the main chamber. The great cavern looked ominously eerie at night, with its myriad of orb lights dulled to a muted red colour, casting scarlet shadows upon the wall. As Leira swam, she looked up at the giant turtle shell. In the light, it looked as though it were bleeding. Leira tore her eyes from the sight of it and moved on, out into the Citadel.

She stole across the Citadel, weaving through narrow streets, passing through roughly-hewn tunnels and chambers as she went. She found herself back at the meadow and swam low, close to the sea grass, enjoying the sensation of it tickling her tail. Eventually, Leira became more accustomed to the silence within her, and felt strong enough to try to connect to the Source. She tried to remember how it had felt when she’d summoned it during their Testing, but she’d been too panicked at the time to think about it rationally. Leira plucked absently at some sea grass, wincing as her fingernail snagged the shell of a tiny snail. She flicked it back down to the grass and tried to settle her mind. Concentrating, she reached out, searching for any beings nearby.

There was a mass of noise. Flinching, she sensed dozens and dozens of Mer, their thoughts and feelings all trying to mingle. More and more beings tumbled into her awareness, threatening to overwhelm her as she desperately tried to feel for the Source, to single out its energy.

Gasping, Leira withdrew and paused before reaching out her mind again. She sensed the sleeping Mer within the Nest, but this time, instead of trying to sort through the different beings, she let their thoughts wash over her. After a time, she began to feel an underlying presence. It existed separately from the Mer she could sense. She knew it was the Source she’d felt before. She called its energy to her and felt a rush of exhilaration as it began to pulse through her. Energy seemed to fizz around her. The orbs on the tall spires surrounding the meadow began to glow brightly, illuminating the scene. Scared she’d be caught, Leira released her hold on the Source. The orbs dimmed. She connected to it again, finding it much easier, careful this time to avoid drawing energy from it. Instead. she held the connection tightly in her mind. So far, so good. Now she had to find it.

Leira sensed she didn’t have long before her connection to the Source would end. Her black eyes narrowed as she considered how to trace it. She turned her face to look thoughtfully up at one of the long boulders on the edge of the meadow. The orb on top glowed dully. It cast a ray down upon her, lighting up her face throwing half of it into shadow.

An idea formed in Leira’s mind and she swam up to the top of the boulder, snatching the orb that was secured to it. Quickly, she untied the orb and hesitated for a beat, before flinging it against a neighbouring boulder. The orb-glass smashed and the Source light escaped. It hovered for a second before bobbing away slowly in the light current. Leira snatched at it and clasped it in her hands as it wriggled against her palms, shining feebly through the webbing between her fingers. Keeping the connection to the Source in her mind, Leira reached out to the orb-light and felt its presence. Carefully, she linked the two energy forms in her mind and the orb-light pulsed in her hands as though acknowledging the new connection. It fluttered as though agitated. She released it. The orb began to move away from her, battling against the current, as though drawn to an unseen force like a magnet. Triumphantly, Leira followed it through the Citadel, passing through the different clan quarters as she did.  

She reached the other side of the Nest. Nothing existed here other than a few caverns used for holding Mer who were being punished, or awaiting trial. In these peaceful times, they’d been unused for a long time. The orb-light continued to drift purposefully toward the caverns. With a shrug, Leira followed. It floated quickly into one of the smallest caverns, set slightly apart from the others. She raced to follow it as it began to gather speed. Finding herself in a tunnel, she dashed around long winding corners struggling to keep up with the light. The tunnel abruptly opened out into a huge cavity that had been cleaved into the network of caverns. Leira had no time to admire the architecture; the sight before her stunned her into a halt.

The orb-light was being drawn to the far wall of the cavern. It was glowing brightly now, but its radiance was nothing in comparison to what it was being drawn to. A giant ball of light that spanned almost the entire width of the cavern was suspended within the rocky wall, held in place by the stone itself. Strands of wafer-thin light extended from the bulk of it. They wove their way through the rock face, creeping across it like tendrilled roots embedded in the sea bed. Shards of light danced off it like sparks, and Leira could hear it crackling with energy. She looked at her arm and saw the hairs of it standing on edge. The small orb-light looked artificial in comparison; the Source’s energy was pure and clean, not watered-down. The orb-light was much closer to the Source now.

With a vicious snap, the giant light shot out a fiery strand of glowing energy which curled around the orb. It pulled the orb toward it and into its centre before seeming to settle again. Leira couldn’t peel her eyes from it. She basked in the power and beauty of it, but was afraid to swim closer.

A soft pressure on her shoulder alerted Leira to Anahita’s presence, and she found herself looking into the Seer’s grey eyes. Anahita moved her hand from Leira’s shoulder and smiled her approval.
(Isn’t it beautiful?) she murmured softly into Leira’s mind.
(Yes,) Leira replied simply, still dazzled by the might of the Source. Leira looked around her, noticing what she had been too distracted to see before.

Trinkets and files and shells and scraps of hide were littered around the cavern, organised into different shelves and hollows. A huge orange sea cucumber, longer than Leira’s tail, lumbered along the floor of the cavern, bumping blindly into different rocks and boulders. Soft spikes jutted out from its body and Anahita reached down to give it a stroke as it passed them by. Leira lifted her tail out of its way, wanting to avoid its prickles. It dawned on her then that this must be where Anahita lived!

She watched as Anahita made her way to the entrance of the cavern. She pulled down a great sheet of clear glass from the ceiling. It covered the entire entrance. Deftly, the Seer pushed the glass so it rotated. Sand that had been gathered in the bottom of the glass began to flow down, until the entire thing was thick with it. It caused a screen, blocking the view of the tunnel. Anahita nodded, satisfied they could not be seen or overheard.

(You live he-why do you-) Leira tried to frame her question without causing offence.
Anahita stared at her and waited.
(Why do you keep a Source in your home?) Leira managed to ask. She looked down to avoid embarrassing Anahita. Instead of replying, Anahita smiled.
(It's like an old friend to me.) Leira thought she saw a tear forming in the corner of the Seer's eye.

Anahita continued. (This Source is old now – older than you, Child. It’s grown considerably, but will endure for many tides to come.) The Seer’s voice sounded sad to Leira, as though she’d become fond of the Source.
(Come, let me show you.) Anahita moved toward the Source and Leira hesitantly followed.       

Anahita drew close to the Source and held out her hand. Her lips were moving, as though she was chanting, but no thoughts emanated from her. A thread of bright energy began to break free from the mass of strands that were writhing inside the Source. The thread cut through the water as though drawn to Anahita’s outstretched hand. Droplets of energy spattered from it and fizzled in the surrounding waters. The strand connected to Anahita and she pulled it free from the Source, clasping it between her hands. Leira could just make it out through the webbing of her hands. It was fluttering and pulsing madly forming a large orb that Anahita’s hands could only just wrap around.

(Your turn,) Leira heard Anahita project. The Seer turned to Leira and Leira held out her own hands in response.
(Don’t draw on it,) Anahita warned. (Just hold it. Control it.) Leira resisted the urge to close her eyes, and watched as Anahita gently transferred the Source energy.

Pain soared through her as the energy she held made contact with her skin. Filaments of light shot out from the piece of Source she held and coiled around her wrist; she smelt her skin burning. It glowed brighter as it drew energy from her and Leira panicked, trying to drop it, to let it go. But it wouldn’t move and tightened its grip on her. As she waved her arm about, Leira thought she heard a whisper. She looked to Anahita, but the Seer was silent. Dismissing it, Leira concentrated on removing the Source. Gritting her teeth against the pain, she reached out with her mind. The energy she met was overwhelming, but she focused on mentally peeling the Source’s tentacles from her skin. Slowly, the Source loosened its grip on her before she suddenly felt it being lifted away.

With relief, Leira saw Anahita carrying the Source back to the cavern wall. She watched the Seer press the Source against the wall where it seemed to take root, becoming embedded once again in the rock.
(That’s how Sources are stored.) Leira thought it to herself, but Anahita nodded to show she’d heard.
(Yes, Child. We can think them into the rock.) Anahita’s eyes gleamed and her silvery white hair shone like a star in the light of the Source. Leira herself swelled with pride. She finally had knowledge of a Source location! And more – she’d held a Source. None of the other Guardians had done that, she was sure. Leira began to feel sadness replacing her pride. She wanted to rush back and share the news with her friends, but knew she couldn’t. In that moment, she realised she didn’t want to go back to the Guardians. She was a Scout.

She wondered whether she should confess to her team. Tell them about her deal with Darya and her training with Anahita. The Seer looked at her, amused, but not offended.
(Some secrets are best left untold, Child. Keep it to yourself. For the good of the Herd.) Leira nodded, but was impatient to get away.

She needed time to think and she wanted to try to find Darya too, to tell her their deal was over. Let Darya and Anahita find someone else to get Sources for them. She enjoyed the power they gave her, but it wasn’t worth risking her friendships. She looked sheepishly at Anahita, uncertain whether the Seer had read her thoughts. Anahita swam over to her sea cucumber, her face impassive. With her back to Leira, she projected,
(I’m here if you need me, Child. Remember that.)

Leira knew this was her signal to leave. She swiped her tail, dislodging pebbles from the sea bed that skittered after her as she swept from the cavern. Anahita raised her head to watch her leave, her large eyes full of wisdom and regret.