Chapter 10 - A Dance To Remember

Start from the beginning

I cleared my throat.

"Well, I'm an only child to start with. I was a right brat when I was little since I was the first grandchild to both my father and mother side." I laughed and carried on walking his pace. "I also had a good childhood. My parents were highschool sweethearts and got married young. They were only 18 when they had me, so now they're travelling all over the world." I laughed. "They're the coolest, most laid back parents, and they're very supportive of me."

He raised his brows and tried to suppress a smile. "I can't imagine you being a brat. I thought you're more of a quiet non outdoorsy type."

I laughed. "You'll be surprised to know that I spent a lot of my childhood with my paternal parents in Cornwall, doing a lot of water sports." I smiled at the thought of my childhood adventures. I still had broken images in my head surfing and paddle boarding.

"I didn't expect that at all, wow! That sounds like a great childhood." He had an amused smile playing on his lips. "Whilst I spent my time with my cousins at my Nan's, picking apples!"

We both laughed.

"I bet you were very competitive as a kid." He smiled as if he was imagining the child version of me.

I nodded. "Proper!" I laughed. "I missed it actually. The last time I went there was on my sixteenth birthday. I took James to try surfing."

"Oh, lucky James." He had a playful look plastered on his face. "Who's James?"

I shrugged my shoulders.. I wasn't sure how to describe James into the picture.

"He's, uhm.." I couldn't just say that he was some random boy I knew because we practically grew up together since we were ten. "Just a childhood friend."

"Mmmm, you hesitated there for a second. Sounds like more than just a friend to me." He smirked.

I chuckled. "Well, yeah you got me there. Actually, he was my childhood sweetheart. We've known each other since we were ten. Our parents were old time friends, so we also went to the same school and did a lot of things together. The rest is such a long history."

"So do you still see him whenever you see your fellas?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No. Since we broke up his parents are too embarrassed to drop by anymore." I felt sad. They were like my parents too.

"That sucks. You're parents must have missed them too."

I suddenly felt guilty. He was right. My parents must have missed them too..

"Sounds like he's done some serious damage." He continued.

I looked away.

"Mmmm. You know boys being boys, who can't be satisfied with just one girl." I chuckled. "It's been a long time, I'm over it. It's just sad how you spent half your life with someone, then one day you wake up and it's all gone. We've been the best of friends before our seven years of being together. I guess, I miss the friendship more than anything else."

"I'm sorry."

I looked at him and touched his arm. "Oh don't be, Tom. It's been almost 5 years and like I said I'm over it."

He looked at me. "You've not been with anyone since?" There was a surprise in his eyes.

I turned red and let go of his arm, feeling embarrassed that he might think I was a loser. I chose not to answer it.

"Is this the rugby guy they were talking about the other night?"

Why is he so curious?

I nodded a little embarrassed that he knew that bit. I couldn't understand myself either, about how easy it was to open up about myself to him, of all people.