Gender Role Reversal

Sky is now Sam
Knox is now Kate.
Enjoy!

***********************************

Sam looked around the large room with a satisfied grin. The room was as close to sparkling clean as you could get. He blew on his spray bottle like it was a gun he had just fired it before he spun it around on his finger and holstered it in the pocket of his khaki shorts.

He turned to the cleaning cart and whistled as he expertly maneuvered it out into the hallway and to the next room. As he reached the next door, he heard the faint buzz of his walkie-talkie. His hand instinctively went to his right pocket, where he always clipped the walkie-talkie, but he came up empty. He heard the buzz coming from behind him and realized he had left it in the room he had just exited.

He swung himself around and jogged back to the room. Sure enough, when he opened the door he found the walkie-talkie sitting on the coffee table. It buzzed again as a voice came through.

"Sam the man, I repeat, come in. This is the Bat-Cave. Over."

Sam shook his head. "Johnny, who gave you a walkie-talkie?"

There was a long silence before Johnny spoke again. "Oh, were you done talking?" he asked, "because I didn't hear you say over. Over."

"Seriously, who gave you a walkie-talkie?" There was another long silence before Sam added, "over."

"I stole it," Johnny boasted. "Dude, we on for ping-pong tonight?"

"This is an official line for Cruise Employees. The discussion of personal matters is prohibited," a third official voice added to the conversation. "Jules, wants her walkie-talkie back Johnny," the person added.

"I did not..." Sam switched his walkie-talkie off.

He was turning back towards the door when he heard the surprised gasp. There was a girl standing in the doorway, looking apprehensively at him. She was in her early twenties with a youthful look and long brown hair. She looked vaguely familiar, and he realized she must be one of the guest celebrities on the cruise.

Instantly, a big smile spread across Sam's face as he slipped into customer service mode. "Apologies..."

"What are you doing?" she blurted out.

Sam instinctively took a step back at the concern in the girl's eyes and spoke calmly. "I just forgot my walkie-talkie." He held up the walkie-talkie. Her eyes jumped between him and the walkie-talkie in his hand, then down to his blue polo.

His hand went to the Cruise Ships logo printed on the left side of his shirt. "I work on the ship," he clarified.

"Okay..." She nodded but still eyed him hesitantly. "But this is my room... Look, I really appreciate your enthusiasm and support," she said calmly, and suddenly Sam felt like they had reversed roles. Why was she talking to him in the same calm voice he used to with upset customers? She took a hesitant step further into the room, towards the counter where the phone was located. "I wouldn't be anywhere without my fans, but..."

Sam looked at her more closely. She was in her early twenties with a youthful look and long brown hair. She looked vaguely familiar, and he realized she must be one of the guest celebrities on the cruise. Which also meant she thought he was an eager fan. One who had broken into her room.

He tried to soften his smile and look as calm and level-headed as possible. "I work on the cruise. I was cleaning your room. The cleaning cart is just out in the hall." He motioned towards the open door, so she could look for herself. She looked at him like she didn't completely believe him, but she stepped back towards the door and looked out.