Chapter 16

Alex's P.O.V

Cordelia was inside with Kol, Klaus, and Rebekah as I walked out onto the porch with Leo in my arms. I saw Elijah collecting the firewood he went to retrieve. He dropped the handles of the bags with his eyes close and his hands flexed out. "Hey," I called out and he looked at me.

It was the same flash of fear running through his gaze, like when he saw me after Esther's spell broke. It didn't change either when he quickly glanced at Leo. Elijah quickly turned, grabbed the bag of firewood, and held it by his side. "I'll be inside shortly," Elijah told me, with his signature smile, and moved to walk around me when I stopped him.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"Yes. Why would you ask such a thing?" Elijah questioned.

"Because you kind of wigged out a few moments ago," I told him. "And when you looked at Leo you seemed scared. What's going on?"

Elijah thought for a moment then kissed my temple, in a brotherly manner, before dramatically sighing and walking back inside. I looked at Leo who was playing with my locket and moved it out of his grasp before he placed it into his mouth, then propped him up a little higher on my hip. The action made him laugh and grab the sides of my face.

"So, my little lion," I said to him. "What do you think about your Uncle Lijah?" Leo gurgled and looked over my shoulder to the front door. "Yeah, I don't think he's ok either. The problem is I don't know how to help him, and he won't talk to me. What do you think we should do?" Leo made a happy cry, then wrapped his little arms around me and I smiled. "Give him a hug. Couldn't have said it better myself."

I turned and walked back inside, Elijah had finished placing the firewood in the living room. I walked over and spoke up, "So, I talked to your nephew." Elijah looked at us as he stood up, brushing the ash off his hand. "And he said he wanted to give you a hug." Elijah looked unamused and that dash of fear came back into his eyes. "He's your nephew, and if you want me to drop whatever I'm thinking about your mental state for the night, then you better hold him."

Elijah looked at me annoyed, hesitated for a moment, and moved to take my son from my arms. "Hi," Elijah whispered to him and held him to his chest. Leo immediately began to play with his tie and I smiled at them.

"See," I said as Elijah grinned every time he looked at Leo. "He likes you." Elijah looked up at me, seeming relieved. I knew my son wouldn't reject him, and he knew that too, but it was one of those things better left unsaid.

Kol walked in and I turned to him. He was holding Cordelia, who was teething on a wooden carving of a knight on a horse. "I see Elijah has chosen his favorite child, which is good because I plan to be her favorite uncle," Kol stated. I crossed my arms over his chest, as Elijah raised his eyebrows at his younger brother's antics.

"You really think it's that easy?" I asked him.

"Well, do you see any other contenders?" Kol asked, with a small smirk.

"No, but I can think of two that are currently in Virginia," I answered.

"Like those buffoons stand a chance against me," Kol laughed.

"Are you sure we're talking about the same people?" I sighed and Elijah chuckled. I moved to take my daughter from Kol's arms before walking out of the room.

~

Elijah was still holding onto Leo as I stood near the bonfire with Klaus. Kol was sitting with them on the porch. "How's he doing?" Klaus asked.

"Not good," I answered and Cordelia looked up at me as I spoke. "He looked at Leo like he would hurt them, then when he does actually hold him, he seems fine."