Chapter 37

Alex's P

Alex's P.O.V (Outfit Above ^^^)

Charles and I were walking through the streets of New Orleans. Even though Klaus had given me a tour of the city last year, Charles wanted to give me what he called a "proper" one. We had put the twins in their double stroller and brought them with us. No doubt Klaus was following us in case we were attacked, but he would have followed us anyway. I know Klaus said he trusted my judgment, but I knew Klaus didn't trust Charles with my safety or the children's. Oh and speaking of him, he did inform me that our kids can heal werewolf bites. Just another thing to add to my list of endless worries.

"Well, Mom...now that you have a real local to show you around the Quarter...what would you like to see first?" Charles asked me as I bent down to see what Leo was pointing at. A booth nearby had caught his attention and he laughed in joy towards it. This was the twins' first real look at their home. I stood up and shrugged at Charles.

"I have no clue," I answered.

"Ok, then while you figure it out...do you mind if I ask why you left for Mystic Falls without telling anyone?" Charles said carefully, not wanting to push my buttons.

"An old friend of mine passed away, so I went to pay my respects. I took your siblings with me because of Rebekah's condition and my distrust in Freya, not to mention I wanted your uncles to meet them," I explained.

"Klaus came home with them before you did," He pointed out. "Why?"

"Ah, well, funny story...your uncle Stefan flipped his switch for starters and I couldn't leave till that problem was sorted, which - hopefully - it is. Damon and I found out your grandmother was alive and trapped in a 1903 prison world, so we had to go and get her to flip Stefan's humanity back on," I explained.

"So your mother is alive in Mystic Falls and you didn't think to mention that when you came home."

"It's complicated Charles, and I really don't want to talk about it right now. Maybe tomorrow, if something major doesn't happen before then," I said to him. I had explained everything to Klaus yesterday. It made me realize that this is what Charles must have felt like when he found out I had survived all those years ago, then had another family of my own. Guess I'm my mother's daughter after all.

We walked up to a violinist on the sidewalk who was playing an upbeat jazz tune, and so we stopped to listen. The violinist smiled down at the twins as she continued playing the tune a little longer before dramatically ending the song. I smiled back at the woman and dropped some money into her violin case before speaking to her. "Thanks!" I said as we began to walk away. Behind us, I could hear her starting to play a much slower tune. It caused a chill to go down my spine and we looked back at her. She was staring at us as she played on with a blank expression.

"That song... What is it?" Charles asked me.

All the warning sirens were going off in my head. I quickly turned back around, then continued walking away from the musician. As we headed down the street, I looked for a natural excuse to turn around without raising any alarms. I started scanning my surroundings and saw a waiter writing a message onto the chalkboard before he turned and looked directly at us. The message read: A promise made is a debt to be paid. I was about to turn the stroller around calmly now that I knew we were definitely being to watch. Charles seemed to get the same feeling because he was watching everyone around us carefully.