Chapter 10

Alex's P.O.V

~At the Compound~

Oliver was dead according to the text Victor had sent me. The witches had a hex on him and there's no way we would have known beforehand. I sighed as I laid on my side of the bed. Ansel and Charles went back to the Bayou, said they needed to check in with the pack which I understood. Turns out Charles befriended a witch when he moved here and that's how he knew to destroy the doll in the crypt. Kol and Klaus were in the room where Elijah laid, so Klaus could explain what happened tonight to his little brother.

My phone buzzed on the bed beside me and I saw it was Damon face-timing me. I answered and was immediately greeted with the sound of a party blower, watching as it rolled back up. Behind him was Stefan and Caroline, who was holding a homemade happy birthday sign.

Laughing, I said, "You didn't have to do that."

"See told you she doesn't like to celebrate her birthday," Damon said as he pulled it out of his mouth.

"Oh, come on, you deserve to celebrate your birthday!" Caroline argued. "Also how could you not tell me when it was! I thought we were friends!"

"We are," I insisted. "Not to mention I didn't want to celebrate today...what with everything going on here."

"You can't be so busy that you don't celebrate today!" Caroline exclaimed.

"Well if it wasn't for the card I would have," I answered.

"Have you opened it?" Stefan asked and I looked at him.

"No, not yet," I answered.

"You told me you would!" Damon protested.

"Yeah, and I just got home from saving Elijah's ass so give me a moment," I argued and opened up the drawer next to me as Klaus came into the room. He looked at me confused as I pulled out the yellow envelope. Klaus sat down next to me and I handed him the phone so I could open it.

"Hey get out of here party crasher!" Damon yelled at him which caused Klaus to look even more confused. He wrapped his arm around me so I was in the camera frame.

"Shut it!" I snapped at him. "Klaus has every right to be here." I then kissed the side of my boyfriend's cheek, while pulling out the card. I looked back to see my brothers wearing disgusted faces and Caroline hitting them on the back of their heads.

"He makes her happy. Leave him be." Caroline scolded and I chuckled.

"So what are you defending Klaus now?" Stefan asked.

"No, the man tried to get Tyler to kill me on my own birthday, but consider it my birthday gift to defend him on hers," Caroline answered and I smiled.

"Thank you, Care," I said as Klaus looked down at me.

"It's your birthday?" Klaus asked and I nodded while looking at the card.

"YOU DIDN'T EVEN TELL HIM!" Caroline shouted.

"No, I didn't. Now hush and let me concentrate on my birthday card." I snapped and looked down.

The card was white with a cartoon drawing on it. There were two old ladies, one was wearing a blue shirt and standing next to the table, while the other had a pink shirt and was sitting down. They both wore party hats and funny glasses. The cake sat in front of the lady with a pink shirt and the top of it was on fire. Below it read, "There was no way I could fit that many candles on the cake, so I just set it on fire."