Chapter 17: Milk Bread

Iwaizumi hadn't seen Oikawa for an entire week, nor had talked to him on the phone. Which was extremely unsettling knowing he'd basically talked to Oikawa every day since elementary school.

He was really worried about him.

Iwaizumi tried to call him several times during the week, only to be immediately sent to voicemail. It was irritating to say the least, but only made the nervous pit in his chest grow.

The school had then requested him to drop off Oikawa's homework he'd missed that week, and Iwaizumi accepted. He needed to see how Oikawa was doing, relentless of the broken state he had been in prior.

The rest of the team was also growing more and more tense about the fact they hadn't seen their captain at practice for such a long time, so they invited themselves along for the trek over to Oikawa's place.

They stopped at a food market to buy some peace offerings before walking together as a big clump, heading over to Oikawa's.

Iwaizumi ended up being the one to knock loudly on the front door.

No one answered.

"Yo, Shittykawa, we have milk bread!"

It didn't take long before the door was open a crack, and a pair of brown eyes was peeking through.

"Hand it over, and leave me alone." Oikawa said abruptly, obviously in a sour mood. Iwaizumi hated it when he got like this, but he knew it was excusable for what had happened.

"Not until you talk to us." Iwaizumi reasoned sternly.

There was huff of air, before the door was opened wide. Iwaizumi sucked in a sharp breath seeing Oikawa's disheveled form.

His hair was a mess, his eyes outlined with dark circles. He looked like he'd been crying only moments before they'd arrived. Which Iwaizumi assumed was the case.

"You look like hell."

"Aw, thanks, Iwa-chan!" Oikawa said, his voice raising an octave in a mockingly innocent tone. He stuck out an arm, obviously bent on retrieving the food.

Iwaizumi hesitantly handed it over to him. Oikawa tried to be quick about his next move, attempting to shut the door, but Iwaizumi stuck a foot out, catching it. He heard Oikawa audibly groan, opening it back up.

"I'm just taking a little break, I'll be back next week."

Iwaizumi exchanged looks with the other guys, all their gazes also carrying the same tone of disbelief.

"We need you."

Iwaizumi wasn't sure who said it at first, but when everybody looked at him. He realized it had been his own lips moving.

Oikawa started shaking again, obviously fighting another wave of tears. Iwaizumi stepped up close to Oikawa, making direct eye contact with him. Their eyes mirrored each other.

Iwaizumi then wrapped his arms around him.

Oikawa melted into it, letting the dam break, tears dampening Iwaizumi's shoulder. The bag carrying the food hit the ground, as Oikawa brought his hands up to hold onto his shoulders.

They barely noticed the rest of the team, who made their way around the two, joining the embrace.

Iwaizumi didn't know how long they'd stayed like that, it felt like eternity. But he felt Oikawa's shaking slowly cease.

"Can I eat the milk bread now?"

The team erupted into laughter, watching as Oikawa tore open the packaging hungrily. The food didn't last long, but after it was gone Oikawa looked to be in a better mood.

"So, our next tournament is in three weeks." Oikawa said, seemingly doing some kind of math in his head.

"Two weeks." Kyotani corrected gruffly, getting a hard elbow from Yahaba.

Oikawa seemingly brushed it off, scratching his chin as he continued thinking.

"I'm thinking we have full week practices now that we're so short on time." Oikawa chimed finally, snapping his fingers. It caught Iwaizumi off guard, only because they usually had an off-day during the week, which Oikawa seemingly appreciated greatly.

Some the guys groaned, including Hanamaki and Matsukawa, but they had a unanimous agreement.

They were going to show Aoba Johsai meant business.

After awhile, the team departed from Oikawa's home. Iwaizumi stayed, wanting to talk to Oikawa for a bit longer. They then walked up to his bedroom, Oikawa closing the door behind them.

"So, how's school going."

"Boring."

"Are you saying I'm fun, Iwa-chan?"

"You're annoying is what you are."

Oikawa brought his hands up to cradle Iwaizumi's face, his thumbs rubbing small circles on his cheek bones.

"I missed you." Iwaizumi whispered, being honest for once. His heart was pounding in his chest, he was sure Oikawa must've heard it.

Oikawa leaned in to press his lips to his own, a soft reminder that he had missed him too. Iwaizumi didn't stop, deepening the kiss. Oikawa tightened his grip on sides of his face, obviously not wanting to end it either.

"I'm sorry." Iwaizumi choked out.

Oikawa replied by pressing kisses to side of his face, trailing down his neck. He felt him hum into his skin. It didn't help the guilt that had solidified its self in his stomach, but it did heat up the warmth in his heart.

"It's okay."

Iwaizumi felt his muscles relax at that, Oikawa moving to simply embrace Iwaizumi. They continued that for awhile, just standing there intertwined. He felt like he was glowing from how happy he felt in that moment, but he knew it couldn't last forever.

He eventually had to depart from Oikawa's home, but a new kind of feeling was slowly eating away at the guilt in his heart.

Iwaizumi himself couldn't tell what it was, but something in him knew.

It was love.