Chapter 20: A New Plan

"You want to do what?" Hanamaki and Matsukawa chimed in unison, their jaws dropped as they stared hard at Iwaizumi. They obviously they thought it was a joke.

"I want to make Shittykawa my boyfriend officially."

Hanamaki raised his eyebrows at that.

"First of all, you really need to stop with the nicknames if you actually like him. And two, you specifically said you were going to do it during next week's tournament."

Iwaizumi had invited these two out to lunch to get positive reinforcement about the whole thing. It had been a tough decision, and after taking a while to think it through. He knew what he wanted.

And that was Oikawa.

"Yeah, I think it'd be the best place."

"In front of everyone?"

"I mean, I think Shitty-, uh, Tooru would like it."

They both smirked mischievously at that, causing Iwaizumi to reflexively furrow his eyebrows. The action sent a bolt of pain up Iwaizumi's still-broken nose, which only dampened his mood more.

"He probably would, but you'd be willing to sacrifice your own dignity for him?" Matsukawa added thoughtfully.

Iwaizumi thought for a moment.

Could he work up the nerve to ask him in public in front of everyone?

His team?

His mom?

"Yes."

The three of them were silent for a few moments.

"Then we're right behind you, just don't be a complete idiot about it." Hanamaki said finally, interlacing his fingers with Matsukawa's to accentuate his point. It made Iwaizumi's chest warm to know he had support behind him.

He just needed to find a way to ask him.

That would take some thinking.

Iwaizumi first thought he'd just pull him aside during a timeout. It'd be quick and easy, and if Oikawa ended up rejecting him, it wouldn't be so loud and dramatic.

But, he figured that's the opposite of something Oikawa would want.

He would want a grand gesture.

Something as powerful as he is.

That's when he came to the conclusion.

A kiss.

In front of the whole gym.

To show Oikawa they didn't need anyone else in this world to care, it was just them.

He would just need to find the guts to do it.

And know when to do it.

The best thing about it was that no one would be in the bleachers jeering at them this time. It would be quiet for once, quiet enough for Iwaizumi to get his feelings across.

It would work. It had to work. Iwaizumi couldn't fail again.

Damn, this stuff was hard.

"Okay, we'll talk about this later." Iwaizumi said briefly, standing up out of his seat. They nodded, both of them now focused on their food. Iwaizumi almost chuckled out loud over their quick switches of focus

After he exited the restaurant, he could feel his face set aflame from all the embarrassing thoughts running through his head. Oikawa as his boyfriend. Trashy, stupid, annoying Oikawa.

His best friend.

He ended up going home and almost instantly falling asleep from the emotional exertion he had faced talking about his feelings for him so openly. That was definitely not his thing.

It was all extremely tiring for him, and he hoped it would get better after confessing to Oikawa formally. Despite the fact there was still a chance, although it was slim, that he would be rejected by the guy.

He doubted it.

The next day at school felt extremely normal to Iwaizumi, no one really paid attention to him. A few people asked him about his nose. The only thing different was that Oikawa seemed to go into an invisible shell when he was in the halls. He didn't smile, he didn't talk, he seemed to just want to make it to practice.

Almost eerily like Iwaizumi's behavior.

"You good?" Iwaizumi finally said when they were halfway to the gym.

"Yeah, I'm fine, Iwa."

Iwaizumi huffed, knowing it was exactly the opposite. Oikawa was even more annoying when he lied about stupid stuff like this. Why couldn't he just admit he was upset?

"Alright."

Practice was as usual. Oikawa seemed to be on the top of his game, his focus on his serving technique.

He'd definitely been improving, despite his weeklong absence. They took a short break mid-practice, and Oikawa took that time to round the team up. He seemed to have some news to share, the solemn look he wore in the halls back on his face.

After they were all in the same area, Oikawa finally took a long breath, opening his mouth slowly.

"I wanted to let you guys know that the student section's suspension has been overruled."

The team was silent for a few moments, before exploding in an outrage. Iwaizumi didn't pay attention to the shouts of the other members.

He could only think about how this confession was about to get a whole lot harder.