Chapter 19: Broken Noses

Iwaizumi was frozen in place, as his eyes were locked in a dead stare at the boys facing opposite to them. Oikawa had finally let go of his waist, being slightly shaken out of his shock.

"It's disgusting that you think you can just do this in public." One of the boys jeered, spitting at them from a distance. Oikawa was already preparing to hold Iwaizumi back when he eventually snapped.

"It's disgusting how you think it's any of your businesses, assholes." Iwaizumi retorted, fuming angrily. His hands clenched into tight fists. He was reaching his breaking point every second they stood in this heavy aura. Iwaizumi guessed he was probably shaking now, the rage continuing to boil in his core.

Deep breaths, Hajime, deep breaths.

Oikawa was about to open his mouth to add to the extremely heated conversation, when he was cut off.

"Damn, you two really are just a couple fa-"

The guy wasn't able to finish his statement due to Oikawa's firm fist connecting with his jaw. Iwaizumi didn't expect him to crack first, but it gave him a great excuse to start punching as well. It didn't last too long, but the fighting felt like it had lasted an eternity.

Fifteen minutes later they were walking back bloodied and bruised, leaving a pile of boys behind them. Iwaizumi's nose was bleeding consistently, staining his button up. Oikawa was in similar shape, but he had a big loopy grin on his face.

He looked too glad.

"Did you hit your head, Shittykawa?"

"No, I'm just happy, Iwa."

Iwaizumi stopped for a moment, wiping off some blood pooling on his chin. He stared Oikawa in the eyes, his darkened gaze not matching the smile on his face.

"No, you're not."

That was all it took.

Tears streaked Iwaizumi's face as Oikawa broke as well. He brought his sore arms around him, bringing him in close, minding the fact most of his body was probably sore.

"I can't take this anymore, Iwa-chan." Oikawa said into the fabric of Iwaizumi's shoulder. Iwaizumi could only hug him in tighter, knowing what the words entailed.

That they stop whatever was happening here.

Try going back to the way things were.

It was impossible in Iwaizumi's eyes. He couldn't stop wanting Oikawa. But he knew something had to be done.

Before he could reply to Oikawa's comment, a searing pain shot up his nose. He felt himself physically recoil, bringing his hands up to cup the area around his nose.

"Iwa-chan?" Oikawa questioned, "Are you okay?"

"I think my nose is broken."

It didn't take long before Iwaizumi was on his way to the emergency room, his mother eerily quiet due to the fact Oikawa was in the backseat.

They knew it was apparently obvious they'd been in a scuffle, but his mother made no move to address it. The only sign of discomfort he could see was her white-knuckle grip on the steering wheel. Iwaizumi could handle an awkward aura if that meant he didn't have to talk about uncomfortable topics.

When they reached the hospital, they were instantaneously told about Iwaizumi's condition.

Yes, his nose was certainly broken.

Which meant that, depending on his recovery time, he could be suspended from the next tournament. That couldn't happen. He was the ace.

Oikawa seemed to also be silently panicking as he dealt with the news, letting Iwaizumi know several times that if he didn't get better fast he would transfer to Shiratorizawa. They both knew that it was a big fat lie, but it certainly made them both laugh at the image of Oikawa in a purple-and-white uniform.

"Iwa-chan, the second you're cleared for practice I'm working you to the bone." Oikawa said, poking him lightly in the chest.

Iwaizumi huffed in response, knowing he'd work himself until he was at the level he needed to be at for the next tournament all on his own.

After they had left the hospital, his mother dropped Oikawa off at his place. Which left Iwaizumi alone in the car with his mother.

He realized she had started crying not long after Oikawa had left.

"Mom-"

"Why is this happening to you?" His mother sniffled, wiping away a tear trail before grabbing back onto the wheel. Her eyes were glued on the road ahead.

"I'm gay, Mom." Iwaizumi choked out, sitting back in his seat, folding his arms in front of his chest. He wanted to disappear after the words had left his lips.

"You've been friends with that boy for almost your entire life. You don't think I see the way you look at him?"

That made Iwaizumi turn pink, his wish for invisibility only growing by the second.

"I-"

"I just don't understand how your classmates can be so cruel."

Iwaizumi was now crying for the second time that night, fighting the urge to reach over and hug his mother. He knew why they thought it was justified, but explaining it to his mother would already be too much for him.

"I don't know why, Mom."

The rest of the car ride was quiet, both of them seemingly sorting through their own thoughts. Iwaizumi wondered if Oikawa had told his parents yet, and if it had gone in anyway like this.

He doubted it.

Knowing Oikawa, he probably was never going to tell his parents until he was out of the house, and able to support himself. He hoped he could stay in Oikawa's life until then. He'd like to see the bittersweet pride on his face as he told them his truth.

Then again, there was the possibility they already knew due to that stupid picture.

When they eventually reached the house, Iwaizumi talked to his mother for a few moments longer. He could tell she was trying to get extra details on his relationship with Oikawa, as if she was gossiping with one of her friends. He soon had to turn in for the night.

"Goodnight, Mom."

"Goodnight, Hajime."