Chapter 12: A New Normal

Iwaizumi never thought he'd get used to kissing Oikawa, but somehow he got too used to it. Sometimes in practice he wanted to just reach out to Oikawa and plant a kiss on his now-healed cheek by reflex. He wanted to tickle Oikawa just because he knew how'd he react.

Iwaizumi was falling hard for the idiot, and he didn't care.

He especially didn't think he'd be kissing Oikawa up against a wall in a now empty hallway, enjoying every second before their practice game against Karasuno. Iwaizumi had removed his playing jersey as an extra safety measure of not getting caught, but Oikawa was still in bright teal, and was now trying to take off Iwaizumi's grey undershirt, moving his hands underneath the hem.

"No."

"But, Iwa-"

"You seem to really want to get caught, Tooru."

And that was another thing, they often used each other's names now. It just felt natural to Iwaizumi after all that they'd done.

They were both then scared out of the embrace by the sounds of loud footsteps down the hall.

Iwaizumi scrambled off of Oikawa, flattening himself onto the spot of the wall next to him. Their breathing was rapid, but after a few moments they both started laughing.

"Holy shit." Iwaizumi breathed, looking at Oikawa who was seemingly just as flabbergasted.

"I think it's time we go destroy Karasuno," Oikawa replied. After regaining composure he brought up a hand to caress the side of Iwaizumi's face before walking down the hall towards the gymnasium. Iwaizumi watched him walk ahead for a few moments, still not believing he got to kiss that, and then ran to catch up with him.

The game was close. Karasuno's players were still performing dangerously well, but Oikawa didn't let it deter him, his serves and sets being accurate almost every time. Oikawa seemed to be extremely energized, and only Iwaizumi knew the reason why.

Aoba Johsai still won in the end, but Oikawa and Iwaizumi couldn't stop thinking about Karasuno getting even better, and eventually getting defeated by them. It was frightening.

"Tobio-chan! Good game!" Oikawa shouted to him from across the court, dripping with fake sincerity. Kageyama bristled at that, scowling at Oikawa along with the rest of the team. Iwaizumi wished Oikawa could try just being humble for once. But that was definitely impossible.

The boy with the shaved head on the other team seemed to be especially peeved, his expression showing complete anger. Iwaizumi found it somewhat amusing how easy Oikawa could rile others up with his blatant sarcasm.

He then elbowed Oikawa, shooting him a look. He simply grinned in response, but kept his mouth shut until the Karasuno players were on the bus back to their school.

"Tooru!"

It was Mayumi. She seemingly had waited til the game was over to congratulate Oikawa on his win. Iwaizumi always felt extremely guilty whenever she was around, only because he had a habit of making out with her boyfriend after practice.

"Hey, Mayumi!" Oikawa replied, his smile widening unreasonably, as if to fabricate some kind of joy seeing her didn't give him. He opened his arms to embrace her, but she seemingly refused, turning away.

That was off.

"You both did so good!" Mayumi said cheerily, addressing Iwaizumi as well. She never did that. Was she about to break it off with Oikawa or something?

Iwaizumi felt bad for how that thought made him burn with hope, but having Oikawa all to himself would be a dream come true. No misplaced guilt. No secrets.

Oikawa simply smiled at the praise, waving to her as she walked away from the two.

"That was weird right, Shittykawa?"

"Extremely."

They reached Iwaizumi's place in under an hour, and they automatically started settling in for the night. Oikawa stayed over night a lot more now, and Iwaizumi appreciated the added warmth in his bed. He grinned at the thought that three weeks ago, a drunk Oikawa had the bed all to himself.

"I'm going to go take a shower." Iwaizumi informed him, taking off his grey t-shirt, leaving his torso bare. This caused Oikawa to not-so-subtly check him out. It was honestly endearing, making Iwaizumi's heart ache.

"Mmkay." Oikawa replied, pretending to look down on his phone but keeping his eyes glued on Iwaizumi's fit form. Iwaizumi snorted, walking walking out his bedroom door and into the bathroom.

The shower was extremely quick, and it made Iwaizumi feel hundreds of times better. But while he was still toweling off, he could hear something coming from his bedroom door.

"Shittykawa?" Iwaizumi shouted, hoping to get his attention and some confirmation that he was alright.

No response.

He quickly wrapped the towel around his waist, walking back to his room hastily.

When he entered the room, there sat Oikawa rolled up in a ball. He gazed up at Iwaizumi. Tears streaming down his face. He looked absolutely devastated. Iwaizumi's eyes trailed to Oikawa's phone that had been seemingly thrown across the room.

Iwaizumi walked over to it hesitantly, picking it up. He noticed Oikawa suddenly looked extremely panicked.

"Hajime- don't!"

When Iwaizumi looked down, there on the school's public "gossiping" website was a picture of him and Oikawa kissing in the hall from earlier. It was angled so you could clearly see both Iwaizumi's and Oikawa's faces. Iwaizumi was reeling, scrolling down the page. There were already countless comments insulting Oikawa, and praising Mayumi for taking the picture and outing them. So, she had been the footsteps they'd heard. Iwaizumi was going to vomit, feeling the tears already trickling down his face.

What the hell was going on?