Chapter 9: The Morning After

Iwaizumi knew he was screwed when he opened his eyes to see his mother, who looked very ticked off.

"Can you explain to me, Iwaizumi Hajime, why Oikawa Tooru is currently vomiting in our bathroom?"

Iwaizumi took a deep labored breath, rubbing the sleep out if his eyes before responding.

"Someone spiked Oikawa's drink last night at the party."

His mother's eyes seemingly popped out of their sockets at that. He wasn't sure if she was going yell or not, but braced himself anyway.

"There was alcohol at the party?" She said with clenched teeth. Iwaizumi could see her blowing a gasket any second now, but he really wanted to remind her that these were high schoolers they were talking about. They weren't in junior high.

"Yeah, sorry, it was some random second year." Oikawa added suddenly, walking into the room.

"Shittykawa is okay now, obviously."

Iwaizumi could admit he looked exhausted, but he seemed to have brushed out his hair at some point, it being neatly parted.

"Hajime should've been keeping better eye on y-"

"Mom he said he was fine."

His mother sighed, rubbing her temple, before standing. She shot another look at Iwaizumi, and exited the room. After she left, Oikawa made eye contact with Iwaizumi.

"Iwa-chan, we need to talk."

Damn it.

Iwaizumi dragged himself up the stairs to his bedroom, following Oikawa slowly. He didn't know if Oikawa remembered exactly what happened last night, but he prayed to god it was all a messy blur.

Oikawa sat back on his bed, watching Iwaizumi as he leaned up against his dresser. The same dresser Oikawa pinned him against the previous night. The thought gave him goosebumps, but he kept his composure.

"If I'm being honest, Iwa, I don't remember much about last night."

Iwaizumi sighed quietly in relief, his shoulders losing tension.

"But I do remember you kissing Sugita Mayumi."

So, he was worried about that.

"Listen, Shittykawa, it was part of the game." Iwaizumi reasoned, shrugging briefly.

"You knew I liked her though, Iwa-chan."

Oikawa was now pouting at this point, slumping his shoulders, his lips in a small frown. Iwaizumi then rolled his eyes, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"She kissed me, Trashykawa." Iwaizumi finally grumbled. Oikawa shot to his feet, he looked like he was ready to pick a fight with him.

"If you won't admit your faults, Iwa-chan, then I'm leaving.

"Then go."

So he did.

Iwaizumi watched as Oikawa walked towards his window, opening it.

"Goodbye forever, Iwaizumi Hajime." Oikawa said sourly, swinging one leg out the window and then the other. Iwaizumi didn't see how he reached the ground, but when he looked out his bedroom window Oikawa was already out of view.

Something burned in Iwaizumi's chest. It was painful. It felt like a heart attack.

Iwaizumi then dropped to his knees, rubbing at his eyes. He wouldn't cry because of Shittykawa. He wouldn't let it happen.

But he couldn't control himself after the first tear fell.

Iwaizumi couldn't remember how long he'd cried. It could been ten minutes. It could've been an hour. It didn't really matter. The pain wouldn't go away.

He eventually got a phone call from Matsukawa, who had chosen to remind him that they had a volleyball practice on Monday. Iwaizumi appreciated Matsukawa's thoughtfulness, but volleyball only made Iwaizumi think of Oikawa. Which made him feel even worse.

Iwaizumi ended up falling asleep on his bed, tiring himself from all the thoughts running rampant through his head. He didn't dream.

When he awoke it was dark outside, but he didn't want to go back to sleep. He instead got up, changing into lighter clothing. He needed to go on a run, just to clear his head.

The cool night air woke him up in an instant, as he began jogging. One foot after another. He slowed as he soon reached a familiar park, he looked around, noticing the new-looking playground on his right.

On a whim, Iwaizumi walked toward it. He just needed to take a small break, and he'd make his way back home. He sat on the swing set, swinging his feet casually. He was taking in his surroundings when he recognized the sounds of footsteps nearing him.

"Iwa-chan?"

You can't be serious.

Iwaizumi whipped his head around to lay his eyes oh the two people across from him. Oikawa and Mayumi. Hand in hand. All of a sudden the pain flared up again in his chest, but this time he could manage it.

"What are you two doing here." Iwaizumi asked gruffly.

"Well, Mayumi said she had something to tell me that she couldn't tell me at the party."

No.

"She had said it was extremely important to her."

No, no.

"We ended up meeting up here, and she told me how she really felt."

No, no, no.

Mayumi then piped up,

"And now, we're dating!"

Iwaizumi's heart dropped.

Authors Note:
I know a lot happened in this chapter, but I promise you guys they'll get together eventually. They just have a lot of hurdles they need to jump over first. Thank you all for the support!
Xoxo,
Biffetry