Chapter 10: Hot And Cold

This was impossible.

Oikawa didn't just go off and date people. He just flirted, right?

This must have been a dream. A nightmare.

Iwaizumi's mouth felt dry. What would be the most normal way to react? He honestly didn't know how to pick apart the countless thoughts dancing around in his brain.

"Th-that's great." Iwaizumi replied, he didn't even believe what he was saying. Oikawa just laughed, I bet he realized how weird it was that he was dating someone again.

Especially since his last girlfriend.

Iwaizumi had watched him cry that night. He'd been heartbroken. But he came back to the court stronger than ever. Iwaizumi could actually respect Shittykawa at moments like those. When he actually stepped up to the challenge and shone his brightest anyway. The way Oikawa sometimes struggled proves even someone like Oikawa Tooru is human.

That was one thing you could always count on with Oikawa. He put volleyball over everything.

The jog back was a blur, quite literally since he could barely see with all the forming tears clouding his vision, but he eventually made it back home. When he reached his bedroom he immediately fell asleep from the emotional and physical exhaustion he'd just endured.

When Monday morning came, all the emotions came flooding back. Oikawa Tooru actually dating someone was all anyone could talk about. His fangirls were definitely shocked, but threatened Mayumi before school about not breaking his heart.

Iwaizumi sighed, going through his classes halfheartedly. He was bursting at the seams with a cluster full of emotions he just couldn't sort through.

Eventually it was time for volleyball, and Oikawa was standing at his classroom door. Iwaizumi didn't realize they had made up already, but knowing they weren't fighting at the moment was good enough for him.

"Iwa, you're so slow!" Oikawa said smiling, not matching the obvious bite the words should've carried. Iwaizumi followed him to the door, noticing he wasn't accompanied by Mayumi.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." Iwaizumi replied, letting a faint smile show. He lugged Oikawa in the arm just hard enough to get a yelp from him.

The walk was abnormally quiet today, Oikawa didn't bother adding anything to conversation, and Iwaizumi wasn't going to start talking any time soon. The moment they reached the gymnasium, Oikawa was blabbing off to the other boys.

The noise carried to the changing room, where Oikawa wouldn't shut up about all the hearts he'd broken when he started dating Mayumi. Iwaizumi was about to head butt his face in, but lucky for him practice had started. Iwaizumi really needed a chance to let off some steam.

For some reason Oikawa was really off his game, his serves were less accurate than usual.

Everybody knew the reason, but Iwaizumi was the one to call him out on it.

"Yo, Shittykawa, get your head out of the clouds." He yelled at him from across the court. Oikawa jumped at that, obviously shaken out of his thoughts. Oikawa simply frowned, his eyebrows creasing slightly.

He tossed another serve, hitting the ball hard. Directly into the net. He watched as Oikawa's face faded into a light pink. Iwaizumi couldn't help but laugh.

"Well, it's not my fault. My knee hurts. I was pushed out a two-story window." Oikawa said grumpily, folding his arms as he stared at Iwaizumi sourly.

He wasn't talking about Saturday, right?

"You decided to exit through the window, Shittykawa." He shot back angrily. Oikawa was walking towards him now.

"You told me to leave, Iwa-chan."

"I didn't tell you to go out my window."

"Well how was I supposed to know?"

"Maybe if you weren't such a shitty guy you could of just exited through the front door."

Oikawa pounced at that, wrestling him to the ground. He gripped handfuls of Iwaizumi's shirt, shaking him angrily. Then Iwaizumi connected a fist with Oikawa's face. He knew that would leave a sizable bruise.

People had to get involved. Hanamaki grabbed the back of Oikawa's shirt, pulling him off Iwaizumi. As Kindaichi grabbed ice to put onto the side of Oikawa's face.

Practice was dismissed after that. Iwaizumi felt even worse.

Iwaizumi found himself trudging towards Oikawa's house a few hours later. He needed to apologize, or just come to a common ground with the guy.

Things couldn't stay so hot and cold as they had been. It was seriously getting on Iwaizumi's nerves.

He knocked on Oikawa's front door, and waited. He could hear the muffled sounds of voices, before the door was opened. Oikawa looked at him, his eyes hardened into an unimpressed glare. Iwaizumi could see the bruise already purpling on his cheek. His stomach lurched from the guilt.

"Oh, hi Iwa-chan." He spat, his tone icy. Iwaizumi hated an angry Oikawa.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure."