Chapter 10

Laurie stepped into the living room. She was holding the weapon upwards steady; her eyes scanned the shadows that engulfed the corners of the room. The house was silent, Michael was nowhere to be seen and that worried her. Had he left the house to draw her out? She believed he would, but she didn't leave. Instead she slowly approached the front door and looked out into yard. Her eyes went wide when she saw that Ray's body was no longer visible. She spun around with the shotgun extended out and looked around. The feeling of the ice-cold air dancing up her body made her gulp with a shiver.

"Come out, Michael" she said in a low whisper.

She lifted the weapon and aimed up at the darkened staircase before her. She sighed and started walking up – she treaded lightly as she moved. The top of the hall was a one-way walk, she reached the top and spun in and prepared to fire but the hallway was empty. She let out a sigh of relief. Along the hall on the right were two bedrooms, she slowly entered and scanned the room. The right-hand side of the room was swallowed in a shadow, she gulped and pulled the trigger. The blast tore a hole in the wooden wall. Wood rained down across the carpet, she turned and cocked the weapon up and hit the red button on the wall and the security shutter dropped down once she exited the room.

She went into the next, looked into the shadow and fired. Nothing but destroyed wood dropped down. She engaged the lock and left the room. There were two rooms left, one being the small bathroom and the storage room. She looked into the bathroom and then closed the door, as she turned and looked up her eyes caught the sight of a bloody handprint that was cast upon the wall. She lifted the gun and approached the storage room. She walked in and looked around.

The room was full of mannequins – they ran along the walls and huddled in the corner – Laurie gasped and kept her weapon up high. He could be anywhere in the room. The closet was open slightly; droplets of blood walked Laurie along to the door. She extended the weapon out and knocked the door open. As objects came crashing out and hitting the floor making her jump back in fright Ray dropped out from the closet but was pinned inside, his arm swayed from side to side as his cold dead eyes looked back at her. She turned around and fired at the dummies. One exploded and dropped down and another rocked from side to side.

Laurie walked towards the mannequin closest to the doorway. But The Shape shoved one to the side from the left and came towards her, she spun the weapon but wasn't able to shoot in time. He grabbed it and pinned her to the wall with the weapon pressed against her throat. He looked at her and tilted his head. She kneed him between the legs and then drove her fingers into his eyes and shoved him back. The shotgun struck the floor and went off again and blasted a hole in the wall. The Shape swung at her, but she dodged it. Grabbing his arm that held the large kitchen knife he took from her kitchen she tried to drive the blade into his torso, but it didn't work and he walked her back into the mannequins again causing her to gasp in shock and fear as she feared he'd defeat her.

Laurie knew she had to retreat. She managed to break free and ran from the room and into the hallway. She stopped at the stairs and looked back as The Shape stepped into the hallway and watched her. She ran down the stairs and into the kitchen and activated the island. The Shape stopped at the top of the stairs and looked over into the living room. Laurie entered and ran down and closed it again and backed into the darkness and grabbed the phone and dialled for Karen.

She didn't answer. Laurie heard The Shape above her, and she looked up.

The cars came speeding into the compound. Dirt was sprayed up as they came to a stop and the doors opened. The gang climbed out and looked at the house, the front door was open, and the spotlights were beaming out at them. Karen chased Allyson as she ran towards the front steps, Cameron followed. Tommy, Loomis and Brackett chased after them. Allyson ran into the house and went towards the kitchen where The Shape stepped out and grabbed her hair. She let out a scream and Karen came in and grabbed the frying pan from the stove and swung it into his face, he groaned and released Allyson who dove out of his way and ran into the living room.

"Grandmother!?" Allyson called out.

Laurie came from the panic room with her revolver drawn and loaded. The Shape slammed into the floor next to her and she jumped over him and grabbed Karen and pulled her away from him. Another hand cupped her mouth and Laurie let out a scream as a sharp pinch was felt in her neck. Then everything went black.