Chapter 5

BREAKING NEWS: Haddonfield to ban Halloween in wake of Halloween night massacre forty years after original killing spree.

Laurie Strode, survivor of the original 1978 massacre has been transferred from Haddonfield Memorial Hospital after being attacked once again by escaped mental patient Michael Myers at her house here in Haddonfield. Strode, fifty-seven years old, had been preparing for this for forty years. Her daughter Karen Nelson claims that she shot him with a crossbow before he fled into the forest just behind the property.

More bodies have been discovered across Haddonfield. Over twelve bodies have been discovered, one of them being the body of a young child. Police say they are confident that Myers will be apprehended soon and that the night may continue on, but Mayor Johnathon Tate has revealed that he has every intention of banning the yearly holiday in honour of those who have been killed by Myers here in Haddonfield.

Laurie sat on the front steps of her house looking out across the large exposed yard. The spotlights were still active, in her hand she twirled the single bullet for her revolver. On the lawn was Rey, Laurie looked over his body with a cold expression. Laurie never liked Rey, she saw him as an idiot, someone who didn't belong with her family. But she admitted that if Karen was happy when she was happy herself. He was a good father and a good husband, and he didn't deserve to die by the hands of Michael. The door behind her closed and she turned and looked up at the group.

"Are we ready?" They nodded and Karen helped Laurie stand up. With all their weapons they prepared for the final confrontation between Michael and Laurie. They had a plan, but in order for it to work they'd need to work together and lead Michael to where it all began. "You two get in the car, I need to talk to Karen for a moment".

Laurie and Karen watched them get into the car and then Laurie turned to her daughter and smiled at her, a single tear rolled down her cheek as she looked over her daughter. "I'm so, so proud of you, Karen".

Her daughter smiled back at her.

"Tonight, has been so difficult. And I know you're trying to be strong for everyone. You're a wonderful, powerful strong women who won't let the world stop her. I'm so sorry about everything I put you through".

"Mum, it's –"

"No, it's not okay. None of this is okay".

"This isn't your fault" Karen said, her voice low. "What happened all those years ago that lead up to this isn't your fault!"

"Karen, your husband is dead because of me. Because I didn't stop him. My friends" she pointed to Allyson and Cameron who were in the car. "Their friends are dead because of me!" Laurie looked at her granddaughter and Cameron, she then looked back at Karen who was crying. "Tonight, this will end, and I will make things right".

Karen sighed. "Mum, I can't do this".

"What?"

"Lose you. I lost Rey, and I can't lose you tonight also. So, we do what we have to do, we kill him, but you will not let him kill you!" She said demandingly, Laurie nodded slowly and smiled. They hugged tightly again and held each other close.

Doctor Loomis arrived at the scene of where the call had been traced. Police cars were parked all around, red and blue flashing lights were filling the darkness as officers with sniffer dogs walked around hoping the dogs would pick up a scent of where Michael had gone off to. He approached the Sheriff who was standing with Leigh Brackett, they both turned and watched as he approached.

"Sir, you can't be here—"

"I'm Doctor Loomis. I'm from Smith's Grove! Where is he?" Said Loomis as he was stopped by another officer for trying to enter the crime scene. They looked at the Sheriff who nodded and allowed him through. "Did he escape?"