Chapter 9

The darkness of the road had cast a shadow across The Shape who stood across from Laurie Strode as she observed him closely. She had tucked the revolver into the back of her pants and held the shotgun by her side as they both watched each other closely. Laurie smirked and The Shape tilted his head to the side. "I'm not running" Laurie said. "I have no intention of running any further from you, Michael. You've controlled my life for so long and I can't do it anymore", Laurie spoke to him and hoped he'd take that mask off and speak a word. One word. She didn't care. "I deserve to know why at least". The Shape didn't move an inch.

Laurie stepped towards him.

He didn't move.

"Why me?" Laurie asked him quietly. The Shape's hand curled inwards and created a fist and Laurie noticed, she looked down at his blood-stained fingers then up at him as he stepped towards her. She smirked but stood still, she didn't raise the shotgun. She prepared to strike when the time was right. "Did I remind you of Judith?"

The Shape lifted his hand and reached for Laurie, but she swung the weapon upwards and slammed the gun into his face which knocked him down to the ground. She stepped back and then loaded the shotgun, but as she slipped the first bullet in The Shape sat straight up silently and turned his head and looked at her as she backed away, he rose up and stood there and her eyes widened and she backed away towards the tree line. He followed after her and she turned and ran for it.

Her mind raced, her heartbeat was fierce and powerful in her chest. She looked back over her shoulder and saw The Shape ducking in and out from behind the trees as he crossed the bushland after her. The moonlight beamed down through the head of the trees and lit his mask up, the pale white emotionless face floated after her in the dark.

She ran as fast as she could, but her foot was caught by an upright vine that yanked her down into the ground. The shotgun fired and a bright flash lit up the scenery quickly before the ring of the blast echoed across the night. She gasped and looked back and saw The Shape stalking towards her. She pulled herself up and continued moving. Her leg was sore, and from the fall she gained a limp. Very similar to her chase from him back in 1978, tears were streaming down her cheeks as she ran. She jumped behind a tree and pressed her body against it and listened for The Shape who had stopped and was looking around for her.

She heard the sound of twig snapping and she smirked. She turned her head to the left and saw the shadowed mask appear, it turned in her direction and she slammed the barrel of the gun into his head and he stumbled then dropped to the ground with a groan. She ran over him as he reached outwards for her. She knew where she had to lead him, she looked back and he stood up and followed after her. She dropped down into a puddle and groaned as pain shot up her body, she felt the stitches on her body open up again. She grabbed at the wound and applied pressure while dragging the shotgun in the other hand. She pushed through some trees and stopped for a second on the property line. The large spotlights were still active, she smirked then limped towards the front steps of the house. She looked at Ray as she approached and then turned away.

She stopped and turned and saw The Shape standing there.

Laurie felt the blood running down her fingers as she stepped back. He stepped towards her.

Laurie reached down and collected the blade from the grass, it was the knife she was using when they first fought. She curled her fingers around it and then when he walked closer, she turned and ran up the front steps, closed the door and ran into the kitchen and went into the panic room. She activated the switch and looked up as it came sliding shut overhead, securing her in. As it locked, she heard the front door strike the wall and the heavy footsteps of The Shape entering the house again.

She loaded a bullet into the shotgun then quickly armed it and lifted it and aimed.

The Shape is standing at the doorway to the kitchen looking in – he scans the room, then turns his head to the left and looks over at the dining table. Then to the right and at the pantry where a previous round was fired into it. He turns and walks across the lounge room and looks around. He walks into the hall under the staircase and scans for Laurie.

Laurie heard his footsteps grow quiet as he left, and she searched for the emergency mobile she kept down there. When she found it, she dialled for Karen who answered instantly.

"Mum? Where are you? Are you okay!?"

Laurie replied in a whisper; "I'm fine. I lured him back to the house. He's inside. Get here as fast as you can".

"Mum, please-"

"Do as I say, now!"

She heard The Shape getting closer again – "he's here" she then hung up.

Laurie lifted the shotgun again and when the shadow was cast from between the floorboards above her, she pulled the trigger. The flooring exploded upwards and a loud bang was hard then silence, and she held the shotgun high still and prepared to fire again. When she believed it to be clear she opened the cover and climbed out then closed it again. She held the gun outwards and looked around. This was it...