"They all did. Cusa will not survive. He is on the run knowing that he was caught," Tala said.

"Did Herrick survive? I feel bad for not asking sooner but I believed Cusa when he said you both died by his hands. Seeing you last night, that moment was all that mattered to me," I say.

"He did but he was in rough shape," Tala says.

Silence fills the air for a minute. "Tala?" I ask.

"Yes," he responds.

"How did we not see this coming? How was he able to lay in the shadows with so many followers and we didn't see?" I ask.

"I've thought about that and spoken with Herrick. When his father died a lot of people were not too happy about the arrangement for marriage." Tala says.

"But the elders are the ones who put this in place? It doesn't make sense," I respond.

"In a sense, it doesn't but then again it is a perfect storm. An arranged marriage is rarely done anymore. It can cause uneasiness in the tribe and it takes one hurt member that can have the chain reaction needed." Tala explains, and it makes sense.

"Herrick hurt Tanda," I say.

"That is all the spark needed to fuel a jealous and power-driven Cusa. From what Herrick said he always hated being second best. Herrick being next Chief meant that Cusa would forever be second," Tala says. "Just having you there pushes a further desire to be a leader of more than just one tribe,"

I nod my head and realize further that he would've controlled the mountains and the seaside.

"He would've been horrible at it," I say.

That causes Tala to laugh a little and move to stand up. "Yeah, it would've. Ok, enough of all of that, come here,"

He pulls me up to him and we are standing facing each other. Leaning down he caresses my face with one hand, holding his forehead to mine and his other hand gently resting on my swollen belly. I am full of peace at this moment. I know everything is not ok, but this moment is peaceful. I run my hands up Tala's side and rest them on his chest feeling his heartbeat beneath the palm of my hand.

"What are we to do next?" I ask.

He sighs deeply circling his thumb on my stomach as he covers it with his hand. Since reuniting it feels like we are hyper-aware of each other's touch.

"Tomorrow we will figure it out. Today we need to have you checked out and relax for a few days," Tala says.

"Tala, I'm scared," I admit to him. I push myself into his arms and they wrap around my body.

"I promise, I won't let anything happen to you or our baby," He confidently says.

We stand peacefully as one. Life hasn't been easy, but this quiet moment is worth all the physical and emotional pain. To think I may have lost him forever.

-Tala-

I know exactly what to do. I've said it before. I will cut Cusa up and hang him upside down and drain every drop of blood from his body. Seeing what they did to her body and knowing it happened daily encourages me to make sure each person involved will suffer the same consequences. Cusa has started a war and realizing that he did not kill Herrick means he has two warriors after him. He is a dead man walking. Herrick has been recovering and his top men and our tribe's top men have been doing all we can to track Cusa. Now that we have Tanda we will take this up to the next level. She may not know where he is but she was closer to him than most since he left his clean up to her.

I have to calm myself for her, slow my heart rate so she can slow hers. Be her garden of peace when her mind is at war. I will do anything to quiet that fight in her head.

"Let's go see the midwife for a check-up, ok?" I ask.

I take her hand in mine and guide her to the medical building. I highly doubt Cusa allowed her a proper doctor visit to check on this innocent child. My child.

"Tala, and sweet Aiyana, how are you? I've been waiting to see you," the doctor states. "Here for a check-up?"

"Yes, thank you," Aiyana said."I've felt a little movement I think,"

"Like butterflies?" the doctor asks.

"Yes," Aiyana confesses with worry.

"That would be the baby," the doctor confirms with a smile. "Let's run some tests and do an examination.

Aiyana walks with the doctor to the room and I follow behind like a lost dog. She shows us the room and instructs Aiyana to get undressed then leaves us to allow her some privacy. I sit and watch her. I watch every moment her body makes and how it moves.

"You are looking like a creep," She accuses.

"Well, after everything I don't want to take my eyes off of you," I say, giving her a wide smile. "Can you blame me for also wanting to look at the most spectacular creature before me,"

She blushes and pulls the dressing gown over her body. I am still taken back by the bruises to her body. How was she able to endure that and keep our little wolf safe. She is the strongest woman I know.

The Dr. comes in and she and Aiyana talk about everything in detail. She sits and listens to Aiyana and then explains what she will be doing for her examination.

Ok, this is fucking awkward but I refuse to leave her side or turn my head.

"Everything looks good. Let's get a sonogram and you can see your baby," the doctor states.

Aiyana looks at me with a glimmer of excitement in her eyes and I move closer to her taking her hand and bringing it to my lips. I just hold it there as it is the only thing I can focus on to calm myself. The doctor proceeds with the sonogram and is rubbing this wand thing over her gelled up the stomach and moves it around. The picture pops on the screen. Our baby.

"Just one second, there!" She points. There is your baby, and this..."

The sound of a fast drum comes from the speakers and it is a beautiful sound.

"Aiyana and Tala, that is your baby's heartbeat," The doctor says.

"Well I'll be damned, it's perfect," I admit.

"It's a little on the fast range but still in the acceptable frame. Congratulations you two," Doctor says.

I look over at my love and tears are streaming down her face and she is smiling. I gently wipe them away. I am continually in awe of her and her strength. I sit back still holding onto some part of Aiyana basking in what was the most beautiful sound. I used to think the quiet walks and watching the sunrise were my favorite things, but this. That fast little drum of a heartbeat made everything else just fade away.

"I'll see you in three weeks, take prenatal vitamins and just take it easy," the doctor instructs.

"She will," I firmly state. "Let's head home,"

She can only nod her head towards me and I help her get dressed. I never imagined in my wildest dreams I would be sitting here with her, with a baby, and feeling genuinely at peace.

I know the war is not over, it has only just begun but I refuse to allow anything to spoil this moment. I walk my love to our home and spend the rest of the day and evening taking care of her. I will do whatever I can to make sure she is always taken care of.

Cusa, your time is running out. I hope you have made peace with whatever you can in this life.

The wolf is planning his hunt.