How romantic…

She turned her attention to the side of the road out her window. The weather was bland and the clouds were heavy and grey. Her mood wasn’t getting any better.

Where the hell were they going?
●●●

She thanked him moments after he parked the car. Her heart sped up when she realized where they were.

How can she forget?  She read about it in the Bachelor’s magazine.  Matt Elezar’s condominium – the lion’s den. And he just didn’t own a unit. He owned the entire building. What were they going to do here?

Veronica didn’t bother waiting for him to open the door. She got out on her own and followed his lead.

They rode the elevator in silence. She wanted to talk to him but she felt too nervous. What could it be that he wanted to show her?

“Make yourself comfortable.” He told her when they got in his unit.

She examined his house. It’s even more beautiful than the pictures in the magazine. It’s worth a fortune. But it felt empty… or maybe, it was her that’s empty.

Is this where they were going to live once they were married?

A  creepy painting of an old house behind withered trees caught her attention. There’s no sign of life there. Since when did Matt like those weird paintings? She could see herself replacing it with a big wedding picture. She will probably change the dreary wallpaper too. A smile fell on her lips. She will be very busy when they get married.

Veronica’s happy moment was short-lived as Matt came back into the living room with a folder in one hand and a pen in the other. He handed it to her and she took it while giving him a puzzled look.

“What’s this?” she smiled. He didn’t reply so she decided to open it and read the contents. Her expression grew more serious, her smile fading. A lump formed in her throat when she realized what the papers were. She looked at him.

“I just want to make sure everything’s set before the wedding.” His tone was dull.

From the pit of her stomach a slow anger began to churn within her. She was speechless. Her hands clenched the folder as she kept herself from chucking the folder at his face. She felt insulted. It was like a slap in the face. Pre-nuptial agreement? Did he really think of her as a goldigger?

“Do you really think that I would come after your money?” she cried as she shook her head. Her whole body was tense. This is the biggest insult she has ever received in her whole life!

“Don’t make a big deal about this Veronica. Just sign it and it’s over.”

Her thoughts argued as she stared at the documents she was holding. She felt like ripping it and shoving it in his mouth.

Before she could do anything seriously harmful, she reached for the pen and pressed on the paper as hard as she could. Her hands could barely hold the pen because she was shaking so much from rage. She practically ripped holes in the paper from the pressure of the pen.

“Done! Happy?” as she tossed the documents on the floor. She couldn’t believe her own reaction. She’s totally mad!

She swiftly stood up. She grabbed her purse and slung it on her shoulder.

“If that’s it, I’m leaving. Don’t bother giving me a ride home!” she whined, her feet marching out the door. She didn’t want to see his face. She wanted to punch his face and break his perfect nose!

Veronica exhaled slowly. She repeatedly pushed the elevator button, not stopping until it opened. She’s never been this mad in her whole life!
●●●
When she got to the parking lot, she spotted Matt’s car. Not wasting another minute she walked towards it and kicked it as hard as she could.

“Ouch!” she whined as her foot made contact with the metal. She fell to the ground clutching her foot, tears streaming down her face.

Stupid!

A pair of shoes were walking towards her direction. Her blood boiled.

“Don’t touch me!” she yelled when he tried to help her.

“Really, you are overreacting, Veronica.”

Overreacting?! How is she supposed to react about it, anyway? Laugh out loud?

Veronica forced herself to get up, frowning at the pain in her lower body. But her tears didn’t stop coming.

She has never felt so degraded in her life!

Not caring about her throbbing foot, she started walking away from him. But he swiftly snatched her hand. She swung it off.

“I said don’t touch me! I’m getting a taxi!”

“Stop being stubborn!” Matt picked her up and carried her in his muscular arms and threw her in the passenger’s seat. He ran to the driver’s side.

They both tried to catch their breath, their faces masked with anger.

Veronica tried to get out, but the door was locked.

“Open this! I’m getting a ride!”

“Stop this, Veronica!” he yelled. “Why are you making a big deal about it? It’s just a pre-nuptial agreement!”